Any way to achieve more anti-aliasing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goldtop, Jul 16, 2015.

1. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    As the title says really.

I currently run 8x MSAA in game but I can still see a little aliasing which can be distracting at times. I have some spare FPS so I was wondering if there was anything else I could do. Usually I'd use SGSS through Nvidia Inspector but this doesn't seem to have any effect with Raceroom (unless I'm setting it wrong). I want to avoid downscaling as I know it will shrink my virtual mirror which I need for racing.

Any others suggestions please?

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Don't use nvidia so I don't know how/if that works in Inspector, but afaik sgss is the lite version of ogss (full sceen ordered grid supersampling) so you could try this if it's available.
    There are also two kinds of sgss:

"The story behind SGSSAA:
    Nvidia implemented TRSSAA as an alpha test that supersampled pixels that passed. A bug was present in one of the drivers they released for the new fermi cards that caused the alpha test to always pass and therefore apply SGSSAA to all pixels. They fixed the bug in the next release but many users said that they liked the look of fullscene SGSSAA and complained about its removal. This caused nvidia to release a tool that allowed the bug to be re-enabled. Despite the fact that this tool was made by nvidia they do not officially support it, it comes with a nice fat "use at your own risk" warning. The new fermi cards + new drivers made nhancer no longer compatible (since it never got updated for the 200 series drivers) and since the developer of nhancer has dropped off the face of the planet we can expect it to never be updated. However in the meantime another developer made a better app that did the same thing, nvidia inspector. He included the SGSSAA hack in it.

Therefore SGSSAA technically comes in two forms, FSSGSSAA (fullscene sparse gride supersampling anti-aliasing, which is SGSSAA applied to the entire scene) or TRSGSSAA (tranparency sparse grid supersampling anti-aliasing, which is SGSSAA applied only to transparent textures).
    As far as nvidia inspector and nvcp (nvidia control panel) are concerned they are listed under the following names:
    FSSGSSAA is just called SGSSAA
    TRSGSSAA is just called TRSSAA or "Transparency Supersampling"

Technically both of them are SGSSAA, but only the fullscene implementation is called SGSSAA."

So make sure to use full sceen sgss cause if there isn't much aliasing on transparent textures then you won't notice much of a difference by using TRSGSS.

I'm using 4x AMD's supersampling and it's near perfect. Still some minor aliasing left but very subtle.

And of course there's the cheap way of blurring the whole image with fxaa, but I guess you wouldn't want that.

• Informative Informative x 5
  3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    So for AMD, do you find 4x Super Sampling better than 8x Multi Sampling?

4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yep, it's a very noticeable improvement I think. I'm willing to sacrifice shadows for having it. ;)
    (AMD's) supersampling basically is downsampling, so if you run 4xSSAA over 1920x1080 it will calculate four times that resolution and sample it back down to 1920x1080 which results in way better AA than multisampling.
    AMD gpu's are generally known for their good performance with higher resolutions, the higher the res, the better they perform compared to nvidia. That's why the new Fury is able to beat a Titan in 4k res.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    That's helpful to know Christian. I'll have a play around with my in-game graphics vs supersampling and see if I can get a better balance.

6. Robert Gerke

Robert Gerke Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    SGSSAA Don´t work? I can not confirm.
    SGSSAA best AA ever for me, in any Game
    My Settings with SGSSA in RRE was ....

- Ingame 4x MS
    - NV Inspector override any settings 4 x MS
    - Transparent AA = 4 x SGSSAA
    - LOD -0.750
    looks very clean an nearly without Flickers.... but cost many performance.

7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I've found 8xs AA to work well with ISI based sims. Looks good without too big a performance hit.

Not sure if it works in R3E. Will have to try it.

8. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Hi Christian,
    is it possible that you Post your AMD Catalyst-Settings? I've tried SSAA yesterday but it has a massive impact on my Framerate (arround 25FPS). Maybe I did something wrong in my Catalyst.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  9. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Same here, R9 280 3gig + i5 4690. 4x ssaa looks only slightly better than 8x adaptive msaa but has major performance issues. I'm sticking with adaptive msaa (8x) with the standard (no edge detect) filter for now

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It sure has an impact on performance, and 20 % doesn't sound unusual. As I said, I (have to) sacrifice shadows to get it running.

The difference is there, depending on where you look in an image: Unlike MSAA SSAA affects the whole image. MSAA only applies to polygons whereas SSAA also applies to textures and shaders.

So what mr_b says is basically true, the polygon AA doesn't look better when switching from 8xMSAA to 4xSSAA (like the numbers imply it should actually look worse, but the difference between 4x and 8x is marginal so it basically looks the same) but textures and shader objects do, because they remain untouched by MSAA.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. jaz00k

jaz00k New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nvidia recently introduced the DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) option in their driver, and I've found it works really well in game. It needs to be activated in the Nvidia control panel, then you have the option to run a much higher resolution which is automatically downsampled by the driver.

I'm currently using a setting of x1.78 which gives me 1440p downsampled to 1080p, plus 8xMSAA and imo the improvement is marked!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    nVidia DSR

13. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Definitely the way to go if you have the horsepower. Looks great.

14. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    It does make steam overlay (for us steam gamers) very tiny, if played on 1080p screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    There's always a downside to this kind of thing unfortunately. There must be plenty of people using DSR so perhaps Steam can provide a workaround in future?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Asking Steam for a workaround or fix, that might take some time ;) But it's probably as simple as using percentages and not pixels in the styling of the overlay (if the overlay even works that way. Seems logical though.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I've used AMD's VSR in the last weeks... works and looks really great. The Lost of performance isn't that big as thought before. But unfortunatly a little bit to big for my rig. Most of the time it runs really fast and smooth, but especially in tight racing-situations and can began to stutter...

The problem with steam will be hard to solve for them... maybe they ad a Zoom-Factor that can be set manually

18. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I'd love a custom-size overlay! They probably won't bother with it though :p DSR and such isn't steams own software.

19. AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I cannot get Nvidia Inspector to work in RaceRoom. I changed the "Antialiasing-Mode" to "override" & I picked a custom AA level but there is no difference in the game. Any ideas?

20. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    VSR on a 280x?