Locking Camera to Horizon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bailey Lagstrum, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Other titles I run give me either an option to Lock Camera to Horizon or install a simple plugin such as MagicFr's RealHeadMotion plugin.

Using this option I am able to change the way the game visually simulates movement. Instead of having the horizon/background bounce - the cockpit/interior moves. This is unfortunately pretty important for me as I am unable to race for a long period of time when the horizon bounces dramatically forcing my focus to "bounce" with it.
    Note: To those who do not notice this or are not familiar, this is not the same as adjusting the amount of movement. I am speaking about changing what is moving, not how much it moves.

Since R3E is different than AC and rF2 where user modding is possible I am guessing the only way this could become available is if the Devs implement it.?
    Any plans to make this available?

Thanks,
    Bailey

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    hey bailey,

you can bind 2 keys for cockpit movement - its in advanced controls i believe. i am not at my racing pc so cant say exactly where but its there. I think I have the plus and minus keys bound - you can then reduce the cockpit motion to near nill.

3. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Hi Mike,
    Yes I am familiar with those but this is different. I don't think everyone is familiar with this option as I often get that response. :)

It's not the amount of movement, it is what moves.
    Here is an example.

Bailey

• Like Like x 1
  4. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    He's talking about something different though. Locking the horizon is different to cockpit movement.

I agree with the OP that a 'lock to horizon' option would be useful.

EDIT: Sorry, cross posted.

5. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Thanks James, yes, that's correct.

I don't think I ever really had an issue with this until the past year so I completely understand why many may not even be aware of it or be bothered by it. Unfortunately for me I can only take so much horizon bounce before I start to feel "off". It isn't nausea, but I'm not quite sure how to describe it.
    By having the background bounce your eyes must constantly follow it up and down as that is your focal point - looking up the road. When the horizon is locked I have no problem. The cockpit can bounce and zoom etc all it wants with no ill effects. But the moving horizon messes me up quite badly.
    Bailey

6. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    my bad. I am away all week so dont have the game available. My game doesnt react like that video you posted of AC though.

7. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Also just realised I shouldn't have said 'he'. Sorry. :oops:

8. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    LOL No worries there James.

9. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Locking the camera to horizon is really most wanted feature for R3E. I don't like present camera behaviour, it causes heavy eye fatigue plus it's not realistic (because it does not consider built in stabilization that all human have thanks to inner ear). In real life you nobody has to struggle to focus his eyesight on the road no matter how bumpy it would be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Plus the neck acts as a damper against excessive head movement.

11. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Another good thread but dev ignore it....

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Alex Hummler

Alex Hummler KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -0
    nothing is ignored ;)

• Like Like x 17
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Thx 4 the vid..now its clear to me what you mean ....looks very realistic btw. ( Horizon Lock)
    Was just aware of your issue cause I know something similar from a former m8 who couldn`t play Egoshooters (1st Person) cause it somehow interferes with his sense of balance (something like that)..

15. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm not sure just how to describe how it effects me either Fairman but it's tough on the eye's for sure. Luckily I don't get nauseous but it's still bad enough I have to limit my "play time". For now I am sticking with the WTCC mod as I notice the faster the car (and bumpier the track) the worse it is. I have noticed that sometimes after I've been racing R3E I close my eye's and sense my eyes moving, reminds me of the sensation I get after a day on the boat. Really enjoying it otherwise.

Keeping my fingers crossed this is a mod that isn't difficult to implement and we see it in the future. :)
    Bailey

• Like Like x 1
  16. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Also pCars has similar feature. There is slider allowing to lock first person view camera to car body and/or ground, with range 0-100. So you can get completely stable cockpit with shaking environment, opposite config or something in the middle depending on your preferences.

But yes, RealHeadMotion is great example too.

17. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I don'have anything against "lock camera to horizon" as option, as long as these old view settings stay intact. Maybe i have played too much g-motor games but personally i like most of the r3e view settings in current sims.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Actually R3E is very similar to gmotor titles regarding first person camera.
    But as has been stated, it is not realistic since:
    - brain is able to stabilize the image
    - the greater distance to object, the less movement is visible.

In result, while driver is shaken during driving, external world should look stable. Or at least the movement should be significantly filtered (for high frequency shakes).
    On the other hand you should see movement of cockpit (to some extent). There are two reasons. First - it is realistic (however IRL you ignore it focusing on a road). Second, it adds immersion, or rather feeling of what car is doing.

But yeah, best solution would be to have it configurable

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    That's what i tried to say, and that's why i like it.

Maybe, but i don't care about that too much because it _feels_ realistic for me. :)

Indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  20. pinor27

pinor27 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I agree it would be great to configure moving horizon.
    I do not know if 'it me wrong but i have the impression that by increasing the movement cockpit the horizon seems less moved, probably fooled my eyes ( I use 30% but it depends on the car)
    ( sorry i use a translator...:eek:)