Steam FPS Counter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Feb 19, 2015.

1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I just found the FPS counter in steam settings and turned it on.
    But I don't see it in game?

This is the only game I have on my new rig so far, so I don't know if it's just this title that's not showing it, or an issue with all games so far?..

By the way, I have fallen in love all over again with the new graphics and sound from this PC!!!
    Got me thinking of a scene from The Green Mile, when John Coffey is watching his first and last movie: "I'm in heaven, and my heart beat so that I can hardly speak" :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I got it working! :)
    Somehow the activation of it didn't go through the first time..

3. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    How did you got it working? I was about to ask the question!

Btw what are the specs of your new rig compared to the other one...just wondering because I have a mid-range rig and game is very smooth but I didn't do any MP racing yet.

4. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I just turned it on in the steam settings and choose where to put it on screen, and then press ok.

My old was an Acer Aspire V3-771G - 8GB DDR3, with Nvidia GeForce GT650M 2GB.
    Was running R3E on Low / Medium settings on 1366x768.

The new one is an Asus Rog G751JY - 16GB DDR3L, with GTX980M 4GB.
    Is now running all settings Maxed out on 1920x1080, except mirrors are set on medium and I don't like motion blur, so that's turned off.
    And I haven't touched FXAA or something, so I think that is set on 2.
    Get a steady 75 FPS with full grids on these settings.

But I have had some trouble with this new Asus!.. .
    It started immediately and I wasn't able to update or download any programs or drivers.
    After getting a BIOS driver from Asus support and making a factory recovery it solved the problems, and I was able to update Nvidia and steam.
    But now there seems to be an issue with windows update.. .
    It downloading and installing, but then get an Error:80246002, that the updates couldn't install!..
    There is also some glitching on some images in the web browser (Chrome) and here on steam, and I get really bad downloading times on steam despite 30 Mbit/s from my router to the pc.
    Usually I get a reasonable steady download from steam of 3,5 MB/s on my old laptop.
    With my new laptop the download wobbles all over the place and only stay on up to 3 MB/s for a short moment, then it dives down to almost zero, and stays more around 50-500 kb/s than it goes over 1 MB/s!!..

Is this normal for a new pc with windows 8.1 or is there something badly wrong with it??

5. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    That is quite an upgrade you got! I have a GTX 750Ti KR-SC (mid-range desktop) and I run at 1080p all smooth but for some reasons the steam counter doesn't work for me. It runs fine in my other games.

As for your new rig, the issues are not normal. I usually install the OS, then all it's updates and then update to the latest drivers of the video card and other hardware. After I check if everything is stable, then tweak the OS and then install my apps.
    I haven't touched Win8 yet but it's still not normal.
    I would remove anything non-windows related you installed, make sure you delete all traces of them and just try to run windows updates and work from there.

6. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice!
    I will try another factory recovery, and see to that all windows applications being downloaded as they should before updating anything else.

7. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Tried and do like you said, and windows update worked fine this time as well as Nvidia drivers and steam update.
    But after that it was trouble again, wasn't able to download and install Chrome, and connection / download trouble despite 30MB/s to the computer when I measure it on a broadband measuring site..

Returning it tomorrow!.. :(

8. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    That sux big time man :(
    Yeah probably a bad laptop.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  9. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Finally got a new one back, and got it working properly this time!! :D

Like I said before, I'm running all settings Maxed out on 1920x1080, except mirrors are set on medium and I don't like motion blur, so that's turned off.

But I have a question about Multi-sampling and FXAA, what are the recommended settings for those?
    As it is now they are set to 2 x AA and FXAA is on.

10. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Great news!
    As for AA I really don't know, I tend not to use the latest and greatest AA settings because my CPU is an FX-6300 and my video card is only a GeForce 750Ti.
    Haven't noticed motion blur but I am quite far from my TV! :eek:

11. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Ah okay.
    I tried messing a bit with the settings, and I found maxing out AA and turning off FXAA had a positive effect!:)

12. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
  14. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @heppsan are you running steam beta? My fps counter is still now working in R3E but working in my other games!

15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see that this post actually helped someone out with some understanding of the very confusing terms and techniques of AA. :)

If the link in the above post wasnt clear enough about AA, specifically FXAA, (it wasnt in depth about that at all since I was referring to other forms of AA :p ), then perhaps I can try to shed a bit of light on that now.

I couldnt quite tell you the origins of FXAA, or how old that form of AA is, but it is still quite common and is basically an option in every game that supports any form of AA.

Carrying on my thoughts from the above link... I suppose you could say FXAA is similar to MSAA in that, it does not render the entire image on screen at a higher resolution and then downsample it to fit back on your screen to eliminate the jagged edges. However, unlike MSAA, where that form of AA renders portions of the image at a higher resolution and then downsamples them to fit back on screen, FXAA works by identifying the edges of textures, and blurring them together to get rid of those sharp, jaggy edges. It is fast, and far less taxing on your system than any other kind of AA.

FXAA does not render any part of the screen at a higher resolution, it is rather simply put, a form of blur, to help obscure what would otherwise be a jagged edge. Any computer, no matter how lacking in performance can probably run FXAA. However, if you have a relatively modern computer, and any sort of actual graphics card, you could most likely use some other AA like MSAA, which is generally regarded as much better since many people dislike seeing blurry textures all over.

Now, with that said... Typically, under most circumstances, you dont need, or perhaps, wouldnt use both FXAA and MSAA together. That's because MSAA does what FXAA does (getting rid of the jagged edges), and subjectively does it better. So, depending on how powerful your graphics card and computer, you should probably try to use 2x MSAA, 4x, or even 8x if you have a powerful computer. The higher the number, ie 8x MSAA, the better the result, at the cost of being tough to do for your system, affecting frame rate.

There are plenty of guides out there that describe many of the different kinds of AA, and some even use pictures to show the differences. If you want to spend a few moments reading about that stuff, you can take a look here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rb964/antialiasing_modes_explained/. This link to a thread on Reddit talks about some of the types of AA. I found it to be fairly informing and a pretty good basic guide for understanding.

For my personal use in-game though, I only use 2x MSAA, since to me, I dont notice many jagged edges, and any better AA drops my frame rate too much. I dont use FXAA because I dont care for the blur that is a result of using it. Nor do I use motion blur, for similar reasons.

Cheers

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I actually don't know.. :confused::)

17. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    If you go in your steam settings, under account, in the middle it would show beta participation: Steam Beat Update.
    But if you're not sure you are most definitely running the stable release. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. ExiaRS

ExiaRS Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Steam FPS counter is garbage. Fraps is superior.

19. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Ah okay, thanks!
    It says:
    Beta Participation: does not participate (one available)

So I guess I'm not using the beta. :)

Not reliable, or what's the problem with it?

20. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, beta is nice because you get early access features but it's not good if you want something extremely stable...but so far I haven't had many glitche. I am also running steam linux beta, been for over 2 years and it's quite stable!

Don't know about fraps, will try it and report.