Low Budget Motion Sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ::SKRO::, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Hiya folks!
    Just wanted to hear your opinion about two products I've been looking for a while:
    GEKO GS 105 and the SimXperience GS-4 G-Seat
    Does anyone has experiences with these two motion sims? Which one you'd suggest if you were on a limited budget (~$2k)
    I'm more leaning toward the Geko option, as to me it looks more comfortable to sit in and I've seen on YouTube that the GS4 is pretty noisy compared to the Geko (a bit squeaky sometimes but I think it's not as noisy as the GS4).
    Noise is my biggest concern, not because I'd be listening to it, but rather cause I'm more scared of a midnight-machete masterfully thrown by the wifey and planted firmly in my back (right between your shoulder blades where you won't be able to reach it)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. M.Andretti

M.Andretti Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Oui, peut-ĂȘtre:
    [​IMG]
    A seat payed 50 $ in a crashedcar
    Need to be fixed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Check this out.
    Pagnian Imports - Motion Platform $3k AUS
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    LOL I've heard the same about the GS-4 Seat, squeaky, noisey... it would probably qualify as an alarm clock to your wife unless you can talk her into sleeping with ear plugs.

When I was league racing I'd be up until almost midnight and when I got too noisey the hallway lights would blink. That was my first warning, haha. It wasn't my SimVibe he heard but the laughing and talking on TeamSpeak. It's hard to hear yourself with headphones on though so it's easy to get loud. :)
    I've heard good things about the Geko but I think the looks may turn some people off as it's far from "racey" looking.
    I just think it's great we have so many choices.
    I loved the look of the rSeat when I bought it but my ole bones could not get comfy in that seat... so much for the racey look.. function over form for me. lol
    I know I've seen a Geko thread on iRacing, if you are a member, I'm sure you'd get a lot of good feedback. Always want the pros and the cons.

Anyway, if worse comes to worse perhaps she'd be willing to knock you around a little, at least you'd have some force feedback!
    Left shoulder, right shoulder, now a choke hold (gotta simulate seat restraints). lol
    Bailey

• Like Like x 2
  5. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Ahah! Wife aggression simulator! :D
    I agree with you on the design of the Gecko as it looks more like a vibrating office chair, but that's not a big drawback for me as I don't think I'll be ok setting the road for a good looking rig in the future (don't have the space for that). My plan is to get the Oculus and something that gives me a decent "body feedback". Not a purist here and not pro enough to acknowledge those subtle details of car behaviors but I'd like to fool my brain just that much to make it believing I'm racing at norschleife!
    I've heard also pretty positive report about the response time of the gecko and the straps are quickly forgotten once you have adapted and started focusing on the driving.
    The only thing is that I couldn't find on the manufacturer website any information about R3E being supported by the chair software. Anyone knows if it works as it should?

6. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
  7. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    If you just want to fool your brain, I think you should first try the Rift alone. I only got the Rift, no buttkicker or motion rig and the immersion is brutal! When I put the OR and a headset on, I'm in a different world. Although there are no physical forces, I can almost feel them. Perhaps I will upgrade my rig with a buttkicker in the future, but then it should be more than immersive enough, at least for me. Someone who has got a motion rig might have another opinion, but then there a some thousand Euros between OR/buttkicker and a motion rig.
    In short terms, I would suggest to first try the Rift and decide after this to buy a motion rig or not. Perhaps you make the same experience like me and the Rift alone is immersive enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    @Thomas Friedrich yeah I think I'll do like you say especially cause it's better to start off with the little expenses first :)
    Oculus should range between what? $300-$500? Ok it's not the cheapest thing on Earth but for sure is affordable and the idea of VR applied to racing sims and other sim-stuff is overwhelming. I keep imaging how R3E will look thru those lenses (assumed they'll update the game to DirectX 10 at least as the OR won't support game below that version am I correct?).
    Nordschleife... Sonoma... Brands Hatch! Holy crap! *drools*
    I've been forced myself a lot not to buy the Dev version cause I just wanted to deal with the final, HQ, fine-tuned version and the way it's meant to be... but heck what a frustration!!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think they will charge you about 350-400$, the same as the DK2... at least that is what I know. You do good, waiting for the consumer version... one point is that it will have a better quality (resolution and screen door effect) and meanwhile the support will (hopefully) get better. At the moment it's sometimes more a battle man vs. machine or software, than pure joy... but ok, everyone that has bought a DK knows that this stands for 'developement kit'...
    Perhaps this topic has gone a little bit OT, but if someone is looking for more immersion, this could be a great (cheaper) alternative... and IMO more immersive.