Known Issue Server performance and timeout (503) issues

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Sonat Ozturk, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I connect with my VPN....then I turn it off....else it takes forever and 503 errors.

Something in my isp is blocking something, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Received multiple 503 errors since patch.....INCLUDING TODAY. Long load times as well.

3. Matt B

Matt B Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to remember this

4. artvegam3

artvegam3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I can't connect either. "Error 503 Portal services unavailable". I haven't changed any settings on my internet connection and all other games on steam are connecting without error. Any fixes?

5. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Same here, very bad the last 4 days or so. My connection may not be perfect, but other steam apps seem to be ok. (Or at least good enough)

6. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if this is a newbish question, but is this issue related to the rather annoying endless "Waiting for server response" I get every 5 or so times I attempt to play back one of my SP races? The only way to get rid of it is to kill the game task. Why is a server response needed to access my local content?

7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yes, servers are having some troubles atm, leading to requests getting timed out which results in 503 errors or what you mentioned. A fix (migrating to a new databse system) is being investigated.

Always online is what many people dislike and I get why, especially when things hickup like atm. Its main use is piracy protection and that it indeed does well so far. It's also necessary for anti-cheat measures when it comes to competitions, leaderboards and such. (Not saying I wouldn't like having an offline option for single player modes and a while ago Sonat mentioned that they are aware of the issues it creates and that they are looking into possible ways of having an offline mode.)

8. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Thanks yet again Christian!

I understand perfectly the need for piracy prevention, but thought the whole point of steam was that it functioned as DRM in disguise, as well as a content delivery platform. Layering the extra server stuff seems to create more problems than it solves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, seems like it does sadly. Steam in itself is not really that good a anti-piracy means, just take pCars or AC as examples. Those are being pirated easily and heavily albeit being on steam, as are most other steam games.

I have my hopes pretty high that they'll come up with a satisfying sollution. I'm all for protecting their content and cheat prevention, but it would be highly appreciated by many people if we had access to the game's single player stuff while offline, during maintenance f.e.

10. artvegam3

artvegam3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Come on guys! what are you R3E doing to fix this issue? Today I tried and it worked for a few minutes and was able to race on GTR2, then tried on DTM 15 and it just went black and it never connected. Went back out and couldn't access the server again. I have invested enough money in buying most of your games, and not being able to play them really sucks!

11. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0

12. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Today Hannes posted a possible Solution: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/error-503.3155/page-3#post-38913

13. artvegam3

artvegam3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That doesn't work either. I tried it twice, deleting the folders, cleaned up the registry, downloaded again, re-installed and I get the same crap. error 503 portal services unavailable. Damn it!! come on R3E, fix that damn thing! I've never had an issue with any of your games until now, but this is totally unacceptable. The one premise that should be always the rule is if you have a game that can only be played online, make sure it's ALWAYS available online!

14. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    its why its in beta, if you cant deal with bugs wait till it gets released then play.
    any of thier other games would have had many bugs while in beta but being older games they also have much shorter development cycles.

15. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Have other people tried a vpn?

16. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear that this didn't work!
    Error 503 is a bit tricky since it can be caused by so many different things (It's just a connection time-out really).
    Could you please send us some Logs from your start-up attempts so that we may see where things go wrong?

17. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    what logs should I attach?

18. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Game.logs are the most useful, usually.
    You can send these to me either on the helpdesk or as a link in a PM.

19. artvegam3

artvegam3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I know how to deal with bugs. But one thing is a bug and another, very different thing is NOT BEING ABLE TO EVEN OPEN the GAME!
    I was part of the early beta testers of iRacing, I've also used the beta versions of Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2 and pCARS. So, your comment is totally irrelevant.

20. artvegam3

artvegam3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Will do. thanks for responding.