Community-driven career mode?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pixeljetstream, Jan 29, 2015.

?

Are you interested in a career mode?

1. yes, but only if it's really immersive (part of the game, budget level of teams shows somehow...)

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. yes, mostly looking for an "organized" way of SP races

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. no, championships, multiplayer (future leagues..), leaderboards keep me busy

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    the concept of the "custom championship tool" could be expanded and turned it into a full career mode. To ease that, maybe s3s could allow modification of the singlerace settings through a file (written when you start a race, and loaded as you enter the menu). This would be enough to code a lot of things externally (we know the result of race/practice... and we know when you are finished and can set up the next race's settings for you).

The actual hard part is how a career mode would work, given everyone has individual content, but well someone in the community may have an idea about that, and someone may have the HTML skills to make it look neat and engaging. Similar to the generation of the championship, the system can track your overall progress in SP races. One could say you have to do X races in class Y, be > 3rd at the end, then you get offers to other challenges, can increase AI... Compared to many other games you would not really "unlock" actual content as you progress (this won't generate money for you hehe), it only serves as a game master over the content you have.

So the "motivation" really depends.

Hence wondering if there is interest in this at all in the community. I am not sure if people look for a career mode like that at all, or just prefer driving what they feel up to right now and don't want a "guided" experience or the official guiding through the competitions and championships (official custom support is coming) is sufficient.

Just wanted to throw the idea out there, it would be a possibility...

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    i started a custom championship with your tool a while ago, but there i always started without quali, always 12th of 23. with dtm92 a klaus ludwig was always a top-driver followed by bernd schneider. not sure how that looks with other cars or with a quali prior a race. The talent files should somehow be editable (even names), so there is no chaos in the results. a top driver is a top driver and a weak one a weak one, with a little randomness ofc.

3. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    that's a very good point, ideally s3s improves this by native custom championship support, which could add the jitter around talents. Direct influencing talent and car specs even (just for SP racing) would als be very interesting. That way one could simulate teams with less budget somehow (unlocking the car's potential over time or so). From s3s perspective not sure they would like that, if through mods like that the game diverges a lot from what they offer, there is also a risk of a lot of confusion... But it could be an interesting concept, other games having "open content", or being fully closed, and they could open some of their SP game-logic. They keep all the important bits (core engine, content, mp, leaderboards...) in their hand.
    Using the shared memory access one can code telemetry tools as well. If it had a bit more information, like position, you could drive a "clean lap" on the centerline to extract each course (or s3s provides that basic data). Later you can find out in which corners you lost time, gained time, one could even program a virtual race engineer telling you what's going on, or using the easteregg sounds of apex hunt ;) (probably have to anyway unless 3rd party UI rendering hooks were allowed).

On the other hand coding all those feature details is also a lot of fun for the developers themselves ;)

4. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Not going to lie, being able to edit talent files would be a huge bonus and add a lot of longevity for me. I've spent years tweaking them in GTR2 to get a field to have the exact levels and spread as I interpret real life (with something like this, everyone's interpretation is different).

Hopefully there is some steam workshop support planned for later down the line, if 'just' for SP play it would add a lot.

5. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    S3 posted that they are working on custom SP championships.:)

6. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    And successfully testing also

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MrBiscotte

MrBiscotte Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    So, it may be better to wait for the Sector3 SP championships wisely. It will avoid you to work on a tool that will not be used after.

8. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I have used this tool for several successful championships across different car classes and with all tracks.
    And if I overlook the finishing position bug, it works great!! :)

9. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    For me career mode is not the same as custom championship, which we will get officially :)
    The question is rather whether there is interest in going beyond a championsip, like multi-season career. But to pull that off one would really need to be able to add some "growth" in the career, you start low and work yourself up somehow.

10. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Oh, sorry!
    I thought I wrote this in your first post, regarding the app.. . :confused::)

I can see the thrill in a career like that, but don't know how this would work in a title like this?
    In most other games that have this you get a small amount of money to start of with.
    Or being given a "lesser" starter car, and then work your way up unlocking greater rides.
    The only cars locked here is the ones you haven't bought yet.

I guess you could make a series of customized championships after another, starting off with Touring classics or WTCC and after that pick GT3, GT2 etc, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. whaletail

whaletail New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What R3E could be with a really immersive career mode!

I've held off purchasing, what otherwise would be instant buys, for lack of even a rudimentary career mode (custom championships), but am really hoping for more than that eventually.

Henk

12. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    is there any progress on this communitydriven carreer-mode or any words from S3 if they will be working on such a feature. after we have custom championships, stuff like starting off with lowClass and driver higherClasses shouldn't be that much work, basically a batched series of championships?!?

13. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    As the name implies "community driven", it would mean people suggest how it should work, and someone with html skills could join me in creating something. However to make this "external" feature easier, it would be good if s3s allowed some interaction with the application, like generating championships via files (as someone suggested ability to load/save a custom championship config, if that was an open file format, would be cool). Same goes about actually reading the results of current and past championships, or know the content someone owns (dumped to some file).

however the key issues for these career modes is typically that you would want to "unlock" things somehow in your career. We could certainly make a nice html website with images that provide a career path depending on the cars/tracks someone owns for real and raise AI skill. But typically you gather "credits" for how many podiums, fastest laps... but even if we could come up with metrics for that, what would we allow a player to do with it? It's not like he could enhance the car's engine... unless s3s would allow even that for AI races, allow messing with talent + car specs... (it would need people from the community to actually come up with ideas for that). Then you could do something like in GRID where you can either bump your team mates talents for "credits" or improve your car.

14. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    personally i don't need any enhancment of car-engines, even if it would be possible, it would be a big balancing act to get the AI to drive the same pace as with no tuning (i believe). Not sure if devs even allow this feature, @AC not possible on original content and pCars aswell.

If "unlock" is something important for a careermode, it could be simple achievments or something like DogTags (BF4 :D). The HTML Output needs a real cool look, cool icons and infos etc.

But much talking without to know if S3 even allows such a interaction of AI-Stuff and championship results to external stuff... your championship tool needs every AI race an update, otherwise it gets overwritten iirc. it's good and works, but not really userfriendly for mainstream (such a mode can push sales for this game!)

15. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    id like the idea of sponsorship type career mode so you start in formula ford or something and can only play the slower teams(and raise them up the rankings) which will in turn attract the interest of other teams you could even be scored on cleanliness ie even if you win the race if you've smashed your car to bits teams will not be as attracted to sponsor you.

the livery thing will need to change (perhaps this is how you unlock livery's) but they are planning on changing that anyway as far as I'm aware so its not so much a community driven career mode but a way i could see career mode working in r3e singleplayer

16. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    TripleJay, what you ask for seems feasible to pull off :)

shardshunt, how do you want to implement "slower teams", when most in the field would drive the same cars? Or do you rather think of series where cars are actually more different in terms of power, and then start putting the player in a weaker car. So career would be "same car" series first, but increasing AI, then get into multi-car series and start with a slower car? And actually one could change the offerings for the series upgrade depending on past performance, so depending on the points you scored compared to other drivers in previous series, you get better team offers.

17. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    for example starting in the opel in dtm 92. but you dont have to be slower when you are with a slower team look at v8sc a nortan hornet came second in bathurst even though they got a aero upgrade a few rounds later even the guys from stone brothers are capable of winning with their setup its just the drivers are not as consistent. in the end the whole field in v8sc probably has less than a second difference between first and last. its just up to the drivers. Shane van gisbergen is a perfect example of this