7.1 Surround Sound

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M D Gourley, Feb 27, 2015.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    I am really enjoying R3E, my most raced Sim. I have some Razer Tiamat 7.1 True Surround Sound Headphones and R3E sounds absolutely fantastic through them, but I cannot hear the individual sound of each road cone when I run into them (on purpose just to hear the sound of coarse...lol).
    Has there been any sounds assigned to them??

The Razer Tiamat 7.1 true surround sound headphones make a good job of the surround sound from running over the rumble strips, which you can hear at the bottom side of the headphone and at a believable distance, depending on which side you are running over to the speaker announcements off in the distance while racing and the pit ambient and crowd noises before and after racing. Engine and gearbox wine is also fantastic.
    I have them hooked up to the on board 7.1 surround sound going through the 'Asus Realtek Sound Manager' and once you do some extra adjustments in the 'Room Correction' suite it sounds amazing. I did have the Tiamats connected to the Asus Essance STX2 with 7.1 Daughter Board and while they sounded fantastic there was not any way to adjust the individual speaker distances and strength to get the right balance....also I do own a pair of Astro A40 Headphones with the Mix Amp Pro and while these are an extremely good all round combination they do not give you the depth and sound stage that the Razer Tiamat 7.1 True Surround Sound Headphones give...once these are set up correctly....although I am still fine tuning...lol
    I am also waiting to try out the new Asus STRIX 7.1 Headphones and Amp...

Regards
    M D Gourley

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. Robert Holm

Robert Holm KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Cones do have one sound for being hit and one for being pushed/dragged along road

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time to reply...I might have to do some more adjusting

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robert Holm

Robert Holm KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Maybe try to reduce some sound volume sliders to 0, and increase effects slider to 100, just to make sure they get played?

• Like Like x 1
  5. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Those are pretty awesome headset ( i just went and checked the spec and how they connect i was curious if those were analog connectors )
    Have you tried to select 5.1 in raceroom just to test. Also i will guess that on your pc you sound control panel that came with the headset you are able test each channel are they all working in there/enabled?
    Im using a px5 with optical ( pass-through ) and it works great.

6. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    It seems when I set the 'Opponent Cars' volume slider to 0%, I hear the road cone audio when I crash into them, this is in 'Stereo', 5.1 Surround, and 7.1 Surround'...as soon as I add 5% or more 'Opponent Cars' volume, there is no cone bump/scrape audio.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Hello MeMotS,
    Yes the Razer Tiamat 7.1 are analog and plug right into my 7.1 surround sound 3.5mm plug connectors on the I/O panel on my Asus P8z77 V Deluxe motherboard.
    All the channels are working perfectly in the Asus Realtek Sound Manager Software.

8. ExiaRS

ExiaRS Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I can only help you indirectly.

1) Surround (7.1 or 5.1) headphones are marketing scam. Never buy them. They have USB sound card and use software 7.1 emulation.
    2) "True" surround headphones are terrible because they have very small drivers so are even worse than software 7.1 headphones.

Solution:
    1) Buy proper HiFi stereo headphones/monitors not gaming c.ap.
    2) Buy sound card which has Dolby Headphones support and headphone AMP. Cheapest and the best solution (if you don't use speakers) is Asus Xonar DG(X).
    3) Install UNi driver for Xonar card with C-media panel without GX.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  9. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply ExiaRS,
    I to thought the 7.1 surround sound was a scam as I have a pair of Audiophile Headphones 'Ultrasone Edition 8' and a high end amp 'Lehmann Black Cube Linear Headphone Amp'...BUT, after trying a pair of 'Astro A40 Headphones, paired with their 'Mix Amp Pro' connected to my PC Sound Card 'Asus STX2 with 7.1 Daughter Board'...I changed my view...sure it's a different sound signature overall but it was still appealing to my ears. I have also purchased the Razer Tiamat 7.1 True Surround Sound Headphones and to my ears these are fantastic for Movies and Games that have a good 7.1 audio sound and sounded better than the 'Astro A40' and 'Ultrasone Edition 8 Headphones'... ONLY in the 7.1 surround Sound environment like Movies and some Games, NOT music though....the Ultrasone Edition 8 headphones clearly won that area.
    I suppose in the end, it is down to the individual listener and their audio tastes...
    Below link is a You Tube audio 5.1 surround sound test, and while it sounded fantastic through the Astro A40 and Ultrasone Edition 8 Headphones...the Razer Tiamat 7.1 True Surround Sound Headphones sounded far superior in sound imaging and positioning...well...to my ears anyway...lol...and I personally can not wait the try the new 'Asus STRIX 7.1 Headphones and Amp'

I found a very interesting video on explaining the Future of Surround Sound...Auro 3D Sound...a worth while watch!

...after watching this video I think there needs to be more development in Headphone technology with this Auro3d Surround Sound...instead of headphones with cups and speakers over the ears we put on a 'Auro 3D Sound Helmet' , much like a motorcycle helmet possibly, with the speakers positioned as described in the above 'Auro 3D' Video...food for thought.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015