Anyone using Oculus Rift!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickfox2003, Feb 27, 2015.

1. nickfox2003

nickfox2003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Hello Everyone.

So i have been thinking about getting Oculus Rift DK2 and i was wondering if i should wait this final model or buy now. So my question is anyone got it and is it worth getting yet?

Thanks

2. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    We're very close to the final release... I don't see why you should buy it now.
    I mean... if you've managed to wait until now, what will be to you, let's say worst case scenario, to resist till the end of the year?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I have had an Oculus DK2. It was amazing, it was exciting, it was the best racing experience i've ever had.... but it is a prototype. VR (and AR as well) has great potential. It will change evrything. It will change they way we live, we play, we learn, we race. It will have a huge impact on our life. But it is not ready yet.
    So I suggest just wait for the final product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. janni

janni Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Call me a grumpy old man, but i'm still not convinced that a vr-device like the oculus could be (practicable) used for anything else than "gamepad games".

5. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Didn't they drop DX9 support?

6. nickfox2003

nickfox2003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Okay Thanks guys well it sounds like the best plan is to wait till Final Release then.

7. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    As far as i know they will soon (or did it already), but you can use the old driver and firmware if you want to use it with r3e.

8. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    The Rift is the most immersive experience I have ever had with sims! It's amazing and driving feels just as natural as in real life. It's not a tiny little gadget, it's revolutionary IMO. I'm sure it will be the future of sim racing... the future! But the thing is, that at the moment it's just the DK, so before you can enjoy great racing action, that feels like the real thing, you have to battle your way through software support that is nearly not existent. So it's really frustrating. I hope the Rift will have a bright future, but at the moment I can't recommend to buy it. It will change everything in sim racing, that is my opinion, but it will still take some time and I would at least wait for the CV.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I think it's the other way around. VR is the best for cockpit-based games like racing and flight simulations. :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I agree to the fact the VR will revolution the entire market of the first person view games but I'm not sure about how it will be welcomed by the sim-racers.
    For example if you've a very nice racing cockpit, built in the years and you've spent lots of hard earned money to put it together, then it's gonna (I think) harder to digest the OR thing. Simply cause once you've the freaking helmet on then you lose all the junk around you.
    But for some "regular" sim-racer that has a standard racing seat (or better, a motion one) and a setup which doesn't include boxes and tablets and 3-6 monitors and other stuff which are visually compelling and satisfying to look at, then, IMO, it'll be an instabuyâ„¢.

PS: I'm one of these folks :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. janni

janni Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The solution: You just will need a dozen of cameras that will "project" the real world into the virtual one (including your hands on the keyboard). Problem solved! :p

Or "switchable" semi-translucent displays in 2025! Even better, bring back to the future (from the 80s): The Data-Glove!!!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015