Crew Chief on android - would anyone want it?

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by mr_belowski, Dec 2, 2015.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Hey peeps,

Just testing the water here...

I've been busting a gut getting my app running on Android for Project Cars. This uses the network data that PCars sends.

Would it be worth my time adding Raceroom support? To achieve this I'd need to implement a small server app that would send the shared memory block data along with some button press data, to the phone. I'd have to implement some UDP broadcast network discovery / handshake too. All this would be added to the existing Crew Chief Windows app. Running it in 'network' mode it wouldn't have to process any of the data or play sounds, it'd just forward the packets + the detected button presses.

The android app would be a little different regarding voice recognition. It wouldn't be able to reliably recognise spoken driver names, so "where's Smith?" type questions wouldn't work, an some of the other bits and bob would work a little differently (e.g. the voice commands are more flexible because they're parsed natural language). And there might be some lag issues with sub-optimal network condition. The rest of it should be OK though.

The reason I'm asking this is that doing all this would be a substantial slice of work - 2 or 3 days worth or more. I plan to sell the android app and keep the PC app free. Would anyone choose the android app over the PC version for RaceRoom?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nils Herbstrieth

Nils Herbstrieth Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    So what is the advantage of an android app?

3. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Not much really. Novelty, a different output device, and all the work is done by the phone rather than the PC, so if you're struggling for decent framerates and running crew chief uses too much CPU it would help. Sounds like a small market to me...

• Like Like x 1
  4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    my computer is literally a potatoe and i can run crew chief without dropping a frame so i don't think its much of a worry really. id be more worried about my wifi if i had a additional program using it.

5. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    The only cool thing I can think off is that you can plug you headset in to your phone/tablet and have the engine sounds go to the computer speakers making it a bit more realistic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

I don't find much as this one.
    And this can be made without an external device by allowing the main app to select the output device you want (regardless the default windows output device)

Nop, really I don't sse the point of having crewchief ported on an external device. I don't think you'll have enough buyers to get the extra work backed

7. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll leave it then :)

8. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I'm surprised you're not selling the PC version.

9. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    You don't have a clue how much Mr. B eats cake and drinks beer nowadays :cool:

10. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, all the donations have paid for that solid gold house I'd always dreamed of ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AzkarateAsi

AzkarateAsi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Same here

12. Demerzel

Demerzel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you would price it 1-2-3$ Maybe.
    My main problem with these applications (both on phone and win) is that you need to run it before the game starts.
    In my opinion. It would be better to expand the whole project to assetto corsa too and maybe GSC rf1-2.
    Because of the ridicule prices of dashmeter pro and hud dash and vdash.
    You would totally destroy the whole dash market on android with a cheap crossplatform android app. Also If you just stick with R3E and PCars. You should consider to support pcars console version too. It's basically an unclamed market. And with 7.0 developers can use UDP for their apps on console.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dashmeterpro
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Sebastian+Barz

13. nasportscar

nasportscar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I'd love it it on Android. And would gladly pay for it.

14. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Whatever you decide, i really like what you done with your place....ehhh i mean what you done with the software. (sorry Freudian slip).

No i mean it, this is such a great addition to RR and Pcars and would love it for AMS, AC, etc.. and i will donate again and again.

15. Bottroper

Bottroper Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I would buy it

16. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Man this app is so sweet am broke but if I had some dosh I would invest in your app no problem, tbh no idea why sector 3 dont get you in to add it in to the game, they can always sack you later when is done ;o)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. RSfordy

RSfordy Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Great app

18. Mz Baker

Mz Baker Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    What I would really like is crew chief for Automobilista.
    I use it in both Pcars and raceroom and think it's so great why not Automobilista too.

• Agree Agree x 2