ATI / AMD Radeon R9 380x

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dale Junior, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
  2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Hm, thats a bit to early i guess... the R9 380X was just officially presented on Thursday... The Performance of the card will be between the 380 and 390 but a bit closer to the 380 as some pages stated..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know that the gpu is brand-new. Ok, then I wait for the first official tests by hardware magazines.

4. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Last night I just replaced my GTX-660 with a Club3D R9 380 4gb card and noticed quite a big difference. I was getting 50-65 fps on medium to high settings with the 660 but now with mostly everything turned up I am getting between 120-140fps. Game seems to look better too, but that may be the placebo effect when installing a new graphics card :D

I should note my card is the Poker series which according to the specs are very close to same memory speed and clock speed as the X cards according to gpuboss.

5. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Sounds great... have you already tried VSR with your new Card? I've tried it with my 280X and I was surprised how good it performs.

6. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I only got about an hour with it last night after the swap. I'm not even sure what VSR is?:oops:

7. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    VSR mean Virtual Super Resolution.

When enabled you can render the Image to a higher Resolution and it will be downscaled to the resolution of your Screen. For example if you are using a HD-Display with 1920x1080 you can set the ingame-Resolution to 2560x1440. The Result is a more clearer Image than with the default-Resolution. It is a bit comparable with Anti-Aliasing, but with less Performance-Impact. And as AMD-Cards perform very well on higher Resolutions the Performance-Impact isn't really very high.

In the Catalyst-Driver you can find the Setting here: [​IMG]

In the new Crimson-Driver you will find the option in the Video-Settings:
    [​IMG]

8. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info - I enabled it last night but didnt change in game resolution. 'll give it a shot tonight. Did you just go one resolution over 1920x1080?

9. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yepp - ingame I think it was the next offered resolution that I had selected.

10. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    cool - so the card will process in that resolution but then output in your screen native resolution? Do you notice a difference? I have to say with this new card the game looks amazing.

11. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yepp... there is definitely a notable difference... especially smaller details like fences look much better and overall the picture looks more quite...

12. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if my projector is able to downscale the image to full HD.

13. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    should be no problem... the display-device didn't get any notice of VSR (or NSR on Nvidia-Cards). For the display-Device it always stay in its native resolution. Everything else happens in the graphic-card before the output.

14. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I gave it a shot last night - FPS went from 133 to 94 in 2550x1440 (may have that wrong) ran smooth as silk but I noticed some of the sharpness and colour saturation was off when running the higher resolution. Not alot, but noticeable.

15. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, sounds not as good as my experiences ^^

You can try the VSR with the windows-Desktop, too. Just change the Resolution in default-windows-desktop resolution-settings. It should do the same as within a game. Your display-Resolution should stay in the resolution as before but the Image should be rendered in the selected resolution. Do you have the same effect there?

Just as a note. In AMD-Driver you have to do the Display-Settings for every single Resolution. If you have changed Saturation in the driver for 1920x1080 you have to do it again for 2560x1440. If you want to do that, you have to switch the windows-deskop-resolution as described before.

16. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Vsr is great on older games

17. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    maybe bad timing for a video card update at the same time R3E got updated. Here I am boasting about 145fps and all weekend I would join a server and had 3-4 fps. almost put the GTX-660 back in. Only in R3E so I suspect its not the card but some severe server issues.