Online Portal for Race Results [Discontinued]

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Stefan Mizzi, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    EDIT: Due to lack of popularity of this service, I decided to switch it OFF

Hi fellas,

I'm experimenting with an online portal where it contains practice, qualify and race results. Basically, I always wanted to see my lap times and sometimes I also change setups and test them and see if my lap times improve etc. So I just cooked this for myself.

This could also be taken to another level where more functionality would be added. Right now its just lap times. Statistics could be added too.

This concept is this:

1. User runs an app on his pc.
    2. App gathers the session lap times and required info
    3. When session is ready, the data is automatically uploaded to my database server
    4. User can go on portal and search for the session lap times and also all individual laps.
    5. User can search for best laps of other people (since everyone auto uploads to the same server) and see how he compares

For download check this post
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...ortal-for-race-results.3722/page-2#post-46051

Question:

1. Would you be interested in such an app? If yes, then I might make this pubic to everyone.

Issues I have right now:

1. At times, some data in the shared memory seems to be incorrect. Sometimes I see race results screwed up. I already informs Sector 3 but they seem too be busy to fix this. If it wont be fixed, some data will be incorrect.

2. If lots of people start using this, then my "slow" server could become unusable. So we'll see how this goes.

Cheers

1.PNG

2.PNG

• Wonderful Wonderful x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    In my community we took time waiting for a similar application. We are very interested in it... It's mandatory some kind of liveview, hotlaps and a league manager.

Is it possible that the application will run in dedicated instead of client?
    Could it be that the data uploads to our own dedicated to free bandwidth on yours?

[​IMG]

3. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree. I have already implemented the live timing app and track map but unfortunately they only work with R3E client :(

I wish the same data was available on the dedicated server as the live timing app, track map and these session results could be all moved on the individual dedicated servers....

As far as I know, there is no such data on the dedicated server and only on the client side. When S3 hopefully makes this data to the dedicated server, i will be able to port everything there.

Until then...its all on the client side :(

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    It's a pity, because R3E has great potential (in leagues) that can not be exploited by small holes in the "dedicated side".
    Your proposed application is a good solution and would be welcome in every community, I'm sure.

Is it possible to host the database on "own" dedicated? or... Is required to communicate with yours as with your display app?

5. TSR Holzi

TSR Holzi Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    yes good questions i am also interested

6. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it is possible. Though one of the drivers has to run the app on his pc to upload the data. The app will only collect the data and upload it, no need to display anything like it does now.

Ideally, what you need would be all on your server using R3E dedicated server. My idea here is to have one portal for all results so everyone can check and compare.

Note that I am still in the experimental stage :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    following this with great interest !

(I always thought it should be integrated in the R3E portal.. maybe one day)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. R. Winkler

R. Winkler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Great idea Stefan,
    this is similar to something I asked you for the Session Data Page in the dashboard manager (search for cars, tracks).
    Maybe you don't need another app and can gather the information from the dashboard manager. I've never noticed incorrect sector or laptimes in the app.
    Is it possible to get setup information via the API?

9. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Yep, this is in fact what you asked for :) I am not doing another app, its the same one.

I'm afraid there are no setup options in the API. Maybe we can ask S3 to add it ;)

10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I might be imagining things here, but wasn't there a recent discussion about shared memory and dedicated servers? Might be worth firing up a dedicated server and seeing if there's anything interesting floating around - I use MS's Sysinternals process explorer - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

11. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    I did fire up a dedicated server last week and could not get anything in the shared memory......

But maybe I am mistaken? :eek:

12. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'll have a poke around, just a mo...

13. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    You're right Stefan, no shared memory even when someone joins :(

14. Robert Holm

Robert Holm KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I added it at first, but then last minute or before a patch or what it was, it had to be ripped out again. It didnt play nice when running both a dedi and a client on same machine cause they both wrote to same mem. A better solution would've been to add $DEDI when run through dedi, but time was too short for testing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Maybe could you just give us the choice to activate it on the dedi (with a command line parameter).
    Most will not run it on the same machine than the game. If it's the only issue I think we can deal with it :p

16. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    No problem Robert :) So hopefully we will get the $DEDI at some point and read from there ;)

Cheers
    Stefan

17. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    So far....a typical session at Red Bull Ring Spielberg Grand Prix with the RF2

1. Sessions uploaded and can be chosen

1.PNG

2. Qualify results

2.PNG

3. Race results

3.PNG

4. One can also dig into each drivers laps

4.PNG

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  18. TSR Holzi

TSR Holzi Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    perfect amazing :)

19. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Today I have added the Leaderboard. I think I'm going to release it soon to be tested in public and see how it goes (even though data is sometimes still wrong in Shared API)

lb.PNG

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  20. Stefan Mizzi

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Added filters for "All", Car &Team, Leader and Previous Gaps to Leaderboard

1.PNG

• Like Like x 2