Exploit Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PRC_James, Dec 27, 2015.

1. PRC_James

PRC_James New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Posted this on my own site, but felt like it could use some visibility here.

Currently there's one setup that works unanimously across all rear-wheel drive cars in R3E. It's been this way for about two or three months, since the DTM 2015 pack came out. I basically haven't had to spend any time in the garage screen since then, because the same setup works across everything, from GT3 to Touring Cars, at any track from Macau to Slovakia Ring.

Don't let the numbers fool you, the car feels glued to the race track and the back end never steps out.
    [​IMG]
    Today really drilled home how broken this exploit setup is. I did an event on Race2Play in the 2014 ADAC cars at the Red Bully Ring. There were some good drivers in the field, guys who have blown the doors off me previously, and I was almost a full second faster than anybody else.

When it came time for the actual race, I found out why. No matter how good of a corner the guy behind me made, by the time we accelerated to 4th gear, I'd pull away by 2 tenths automatically, and keep climbing depending on the length of the straight. You'd think the minimum wing settings would cause me to spin, same with the minimum anti-roll bar settings, and you'd think the super soft springs would cause the car to bottom out... They never did. This setup is practically unstoppable.

It has made me believe that every single car in the game is the exact same base set of physics, with only it's weight and engine/transmission adjusted accordingly.

Is there a reason this setup is so overpowered?

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Reinhard Berger

Reinhard Berger Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    hi,

i was 2nd in this race you did write about it,
    and i realy did wonder why i had loose time always in straights, i was thinking you drive 1 rear wind, as i had 5wing (which is already low, as the range is 1-15 if i remember correct in this mclaren),
    you did write already in 1 race before something like a setup problem, now i know this, it was frustration a little for me, so see that you car (same car) was around 0.2 sec. faster then my car in each straight in A1 ring, and the straights are not realy long.
    now i understand you after race letter little better too in other forum.

looks realy like a setup problem this is in this racegame, as you should had loose more time in corner section with 1 rear wing and you other settings.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i think this more shows that the physics in general are missing some features than that all cars have the same physics.

1, looks to me like this game doesn't penalize bottoming out the suspension (or it just doesn't happen enough)
    2, the cars are too responsive on turn in with soft arbs.
    3, higher wing levels create too much drag (maybe)

tweaking/adding these aspects about the underlying physics in the game should help sort this out.

if your wondering we did something similar with the old gt car physics as well just soften the front as much as possible raise the wing and soften/ stiffen the rear to balance the car. we still dropped the car as much as possible which indicates 1 may be underlying in the game. (although now i think about it lowering the car as much as possible isn't an uncommon practice in gt racing, lambo even talked about making that adjustment in blancplain race at monza)

4. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    well i am quite skeptical about this.
    I gave the setup a shot on the Nissan Gtr gt3.
    While surprisingly drive-able for 1 wing, the car would spin quite easily.
    I could not even get close to beat my leaderboard time on Zandvoort, i tried for close to an hour and could not.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Thx for testing MeMotS, wanted to do it myself- actually a relief cause otherwise all results could be seen as corrupted with another Leaderboard reset following...anyway I always forget that there are guys out there who check out all little (dirty) tricks to take advantage cause they are so keen on winning instead of merely enjoying a good fair ride based on skills and discipline :)

Thx to PCR_James to point that out ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  6. Giorgos Tzanetos

Giorgos Tzanetos Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Actually PRC_James is right. This is the fastest setup.

But something else is going on. For example there is a Poland at the DTM winter cup
    leaderboard, who is second and suddenly he is 1st at the norisring leaderboard
    and at all the other competitions he is entered he is 5,10,15 seconds behind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I was also in the R2P race and drove the Mercedes. Tried the above setup and my laptimes were very similar to those with my race setup.

I also gave this setup a drive in the ADAC14 McLaren and the GTR3 McLaren and improved on my previous times in these cars at Spielberg by around 1 second.

I also noticed previously that the Procar drives quicker with a similar setup, for example at Suzuka but at the time I put this down to less sophisticated wings/older car.

Thing is, the last physics update was supposed to make it harder to run 1:1 wing in these cars so something is clearly wrong. My feeling is that some cars just have too much aero/not enough drag built in.

8. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nasportscar

nasportscar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. DTMexperiencesteam

DTMexperiencesteam New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hope someday one of the top drivers (Heinemann, Kunze, Lohner, etc) will post their setups for each track, so that regular folks can enjoy the game knowing that if you are slower its becouse of your poor driving skills and not becouse of setups that guys have tested since 2013.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. opelman

opelman Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    So basically there is only one car setup and some tweaking for it. That is very bad thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I corrected that for you ;)

Cynical me !

Just cause im slow !

14. DTMexperiencesteam

DTMexperiencesteam New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Before I posted that post about top guys posting their setups I knew that there will be 90% of experienced drivers that will disagree with me who think testing setups since 2013 is "EXPLOITS" and then you can really show how much faster you are than guys that purchased the game just few weeks or months ago...

Just check steam charts how many people play this game. (Public multiplayer 10-30 players on average)

New players will never have as good car as experienced players with good setups. So for new guy to compete not only you lack driving experience for this game but also a fast car (good setup).

Thats when you see races with 20 guys on the grid but only 4 at the finish line. Everyone quits because you see that the leader with his "exploits" setup after a while is 1 minute ahead of you. You think if only there would be thrill and competitiveness in this race, if only you had equally as fast car.

I would like to see more competitions based on driving skills rather than how good your car/setup is. This would also open doors for new players to join the game and concentrate on polishing their driving technique...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    What does this mean in absolute laptimes with a concrete car/track combination? I tried this theory in the current round of the wintercup as DTM is a RWD car but it's undriveable for me. Maybe I'm not good enough. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    i would like to see the option on dedicated servers to disable setups, but still have the get real settings enabled. i think the same top guys would still be the fastest tho.

• Agree Agree x 11
  17. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    i don't think you have to worry about that :rolleyes:

maybe this exploit setup just works better on certain cars.

18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Or drivers... :)
    That's the whole point of having adjustable setups, being able to adjust the behaviour to our likeing, isn't it?
    It's not about finding the one fastest setup but finding your personal fastest setup, which isn't necessarily the same as for somebody else.

But as you can see J-F already took note of this and if there's something fundamentally wrong with the wing settings (most probable to me) then they'll try and fix it for sure.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Flamedphoenix

Flamedphoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    uuiii I see new WRs incoming :D :p
    jokes aside:
    I compared your setup with the mclaren gt3 (adac gtm'14) on nurburgring gp and could achieve nearly equal times with the real standard setup and with that one with your tips.
    Thing is: a setup is a personal thing. If you have a setup, you feel comfortable with, you are ofc faster than with a random one because clean driving gives you a higher advantage than a setup. This setup is a stable one and for the guys, who like understeering it should do its work. Regarding my driving style (I love oversteering :D), I dont like it.

If you want to compare your "real skill", you mentioned, you can go into competitions in Amateur mode and compare your times with the ones within this mode - cause there are no setupsoptions.

@Tim Cannon I would also like to see this and a tick that you can enable everything (also the diff+gears)

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Agree. Way to understeery (just like the first one he posted some time ago). The lowest wing setting might give enough advantage on tracks like Red Bull Ring but overall an unpleasant driving experience for me.

Not to say op's doing something wrong, if he likes it and is fast with it then by all means he should use it. But selling it like it's the one and only fastest setup is just wrong, and being a true simracer he should know that.

• Agree Agree x 1