Button Box

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Smith, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, I've starting looking for a button box and found only a few companies offering them. Derek Speare Designs, Sim Racing Hardware and BBJ Sim Racing from eBay. Any others I'm missing? Does anyone here make them to order by any chance? I've been using a software based button box on my iPhone but it's just not cutting it for me.

Thanks!

2. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  3. kingtin

kingtin New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    DSD owner too, I looked to make my own box before but DSD prices are on the right spot if you want something with great built quality.
    I wasn't able to make better than the 100$ price of my DSD csw panel.. While you need some usb controller with room to wire the buttons.. And only this cost 1/3 of the price, or more!! (like the Leo Bodnar in the DSD box... And many other)

The good thing is that not all of the function of the controller are used for the box I bought, so if I want I'll be able to make a DIY extension, wired to the controller of the DSD one.

5. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone, I have considered making my own but for the DSD prices doesn't make it worthwhile like le_poilu says and it just won't look anywhere near as good as the DSD. I will keep looking but the DSD P2 is very tempting right now.

6. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    i have had an SRH dashboard for my t300 (actually i still have it on sale...), and i have to say it is very professional, looks great. but it is a bit expensive (it was around 360 euros). Unfortunately the frame was only compatible with t300/tx (you have to order it for your wheel) so i couldn't carry on with when i switched to fanatec. i tried to order the frame separately from srh for the fanatec version, but they said it is too complicated to rebuild it so they refused to sell me one. ( im a car mechanic so probably i could manage with that...., but whatever, i couldn't force them...). so i moved, on an ordered one from DSD for the v2 base. Quality is same, im very satisfied with this one as well. Only thing i liked a bit more on the srh, is the little bit angled frame, so the buttons and switches facing a bit toward the driver instead just facing forward.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Those SRH dashboards are pretty sweet, unfortunately for the T500 you have to remove the paddles and I already sold my GTE wheel with paddles.

9. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I used a Zero Delay USB encoder, primarily intended for arcade machine DIY, for my button box. The controller is less than $10 on ebay, and a plastic case for electronics projects and some buttons cost only nickels and dimes from the great China, also on ebay. Or from a local electronics store. Cables are included with the encoder.

The entire project Cost me less than $25 and two hours of pleasure. :)

Granted, the encoder only has like 16 inputs, but for a simple button box that's probably enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Doing exactly the same myself, waiting on buttons, the usb controller, buttons and box cost approx 10ukp.
    With the usb controller you get wires to wire 12 buttons but room for at least another 4 if you count u\d\l\r and a 6ft usb cable, its plug and play so shows in windows as a usb game controller 6.50ukp box 100x60mm .99uk this box is the perfect size to have stuck on the side of the g25 buttons casing, various buttons and switches from .99uk for 10, yes all from China, slow delivery times but cheap and easy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I have a DS button box, and have never used it, it was plugged in once just to make sure it worked, and never even had it mounted or used again, it's open for offer's if anyone is interested, even have a spare lead I can chuck in.

12. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Which one is it mate and can you upload a pic?
    Thanks.

13. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Sure, its the P1..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    It's been a pleasure doing business with you mate! Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Same to you as well, you have new message.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    By the way guys if anyone is interested in a Formula Ferrari addon wheel for the Thrustmaster base's let me know, it's about 15 months old, used for about 1 month perfect working order, collecting dust on the shelf, have 2 new spare paddle switches that will go with it, doesn't have the original box but will be well packaged, anyone interested make me a offer.

17. Gareth Smith

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    So this came today... and I spent the afternoon farting about with labels instead of working! Only issue now is I can't take my eyes off of it... very happy chappy. Thanks again Gopher04
    upload_2016-1-11_23-18-14.png

upload_2016-1-11_23-18-43.png

• Like Like x 5
  18. MAARTENSWESIM

MAARTENSWESIM Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I also got the Derek Spere Designs P1 buttonbox. It's really well made. Only one this buggers me a little, the big red button with DSD is turning around by itself with the vibrations.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2