Found an online article last days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keanos, Feb 16, 2016.

1. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    The following quotes come from this article:
    http://pretendracecars.net/2015/12/22/one-setup-three-cars/
    • Drop the ride height as low as it can go.
    • Use the softest springs available.
    • Treat the front and rear anti-roll bar like the wedge adjustment in a Stock Car.
    • Raise the ride height if it bottoms out. Alternatively, stiffen the springs.
    "Every single car in R3E drives the exact same, to the point where three completely different cars can be driven to the top of their respective leaderboards with the setup above."​

"There is basically no penalty for running the minimum rear wing setting."​

"you can run the softest springs and the smallest ride height, and the car will never scrape the ground."​

I know that R3E is still in Betaphase, and its not my intention to say that it is a bad game. I really enjoy it and it is my personal Number one and will stay a long time i think. But I'm interested that other players and maybe the davs say to those things.

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That has been talked about already, not only but also because the author of that article felt he had to come here and talk about his "theory": https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/exploit-setup.3778/

The thing is that you can do that in any game and even in real life, softer will (theoretically) always be faster, that is if you can handle the car like that.

Have you tried this setup, and if so did you try it on several cars and on several tracks? How did you like it?
    No offense here at all, if you think it's good and works for you then by all means use it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I tried it in the Daytona Proto at monza and it was completely undriveable. I tried it in some other cars and I was still shit. Its very unfair :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I was alarmed when I first became aware of this a few weeks ago but my experiences don't support this at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I'm not that good on set ups, and have to try this before I have a true statement.
    But I usually notice when I drop the rear wing on most cars for tracks with really long straights.
    The cars gets more tail happy when cornering. (easier to spin out and to upset the car, have to counter steer a lot more, and also have to let go of the throttle more in some curves)
    But will try this out in some more cars and more extreme than I use to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well, you can't expect the cars to behave/setup exactly like their real life counterparts, means if you're willing & patient to fiddle around (or with the help of someone who did) it's most likely to find settings that are not realistic but nevertheless will provide a better overall-performance - in this sense you can talk about exploiting setups - while thats not cheating per se, it's, let's say, sneaking thru the backdoor by being a smartass :) and unfortunately that is what happens in real racing too - just think about the "Diffusor-Affair" of Red Bull F1a few years back which gave them a clear advantage - Teams are often looking for backdoors in official regulations (that are open to different interpretations how to handle things) - I personally find that fishy anyway - but that's how it is...:(
    But for what is written in that article - just forget about it...it might have been true for the early beta phase or sth. (I only assume)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

indeed yesterday night I had a race with FR2@Red bull ring
    I took the low aero / less downforce strategy.
    I was clearely the fastest in Sector1 and Sector2, in the long straight line sectors, but in sector3.. whatever I did I lost almost 1" in few turns. I had to battle to keep the gap with other players.
    On a full lap my times were at least 0.5" slower than the fastest.

Saying that the FR2 drive the same with no aero is an absolute non-sens. You can even feel the lost of downforce when you follow closely an other car in fast turn (try to stay close in the S at Suzuka you'll see what I mean)

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I've tried it and struggled, but the author of that article is an excellent driver (well beyond my level) so maybe it works for him and other quick drivers.

So I wouldn't take it as definitive, but feel free to try it out and let us know how you get on with it - would be interested in hearing your thoughts too :)

10. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    jepp - I guess it is a bit driver and car related... He tried the Mclaren as GT3-Car. That car is well balanced and quite handsome. Do the same with the Vette and it would have been a different story...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    He might be a decent driver, but his 'articles' (if they can even be called that) are written like an angry child who had his favorite toy taken away so he spews dirty words and lies at everyone and everything until it is given back. Really wish people would stop giving his site traffic.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    So who are the known cheaters he mentioned?

13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    @Tim Heinemann. He has been caught cheating in leagues using other games. Until now there's no indication of him or anybody else actively/deliberately cheating in R3E.

14. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Okay so for me with any car on any track, it's busted! :eek:o_O:)
    I'm pretty consistent on any track but raced on Mid Ohio Chicane cause that's the track I'm most comfortable with, and the only track I have raced all the cars in R3E on.

Tried Nissan Silvia G5 And FR2.
    The Nissan with the "magical" set up was almost impossible to keep on the road!.. .
    My best time with that set up was about 2 sec of my laps on default setups. :D

With the FR2 it wasn't that noticeable difference, but I more often did small mistakes on that set up.
    I did beat my default set up with 150 hundreds of a second with the "magic" one.
    However, I beat the "magic" set up with 200 of a second with my prefered set up with the splitter and wing set to 8 - 12, and not lowest on ARB or springs.. ;)

And also, wing set to 1 doesn't mean no wing.
    Just that it's set to the lowest possible on that car.
    We have no idea on how much we actually change the downforce from max to min setting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I think, yes it makes a difference who is really fast with this magic Setup, I tried today 1 try with the GT Masters 2013 driven the Audi R8, never driven it before (i don't like Audi, so I try not to drive them) I haven't got the fastest personal lap in this class for me but the second fastest. And the car was a little bit tail happy but not undrivable, after a few laps I know how the car react in different corners with this setup.

I think it should be not possible to drive "fast" laps with such a setup, A completely lowered car with a "as soft as it get" setting, should hit the ground especially on curbs, but I hit the curbs in the eau rouge the same way as without this setup. Thats the sign for me that its a bug and has to be solved by the devs.

16. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I tried it and in my experience the exploit setup works quite well on those circuits where you don't have to change directions quickly (e.g. Hockenheim), but it's pretty much useless on twisty tracks.

17. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Not being a very good racer myself or setup guy (watched videos etc but doesn't seem to help) by doing a few things to the setups to each ( I mean the exact same thing) I can make the car drive and turn better. I'll just go as low as possible on the ride height , softest Springs , up on the anti roll bar (highest), and on the bump and rebound I go down 2-3 . The only difference I suppose from the exploit is that I'll leave the wing at somewhere between 10-15 depending on how loose off the car is .
    This setup up is definitely faster than default. At this point it is my lack of skill holding me back over anything.

18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Do I get this right, you tried this with a car you haven't driven before and therefor have no reference how fast you might be in it and you didn't beat your personal best in that class?

Sorry, don't see the magic in that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I still wonder how much effect the wing has... I am starting to think people have really low set wings.....just an assumption.

20. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    as low as you can go ;)