Show your Cockpit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Georg Ortner, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Something like that...:D
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, only I shaved my arm hair!

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    How did any of you DIY guys mount your racing seat to whatever it is you mounted them to?

I am looking to just mounting mine to a pallet I a made WITHOUT buying a seat bracket, bc they are really expensive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. ThereIs0nly0ne

ThereIs0nly0ne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    What sort of fittings do you have on your seat Sean? Are there mounting points at the side, underneath or both?

For MkI of my rig, I just bolted mine to a box structure I made. Worked a treat and was in use for a few years.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I don't have the seat yet but it looks like there are 4 bolts on the bottom of the seat...think on sliders.
    http://procarbyscat.com/seat-assembly-instructions

I am guessing I would just bolt them to my wooden base, as you did. Figured that, but I am not handy, just sort of getting all my ducks in a row for my project. Basically attach seat, with sliders if possible to a modified wooden pallet I have.

Thank you for the reply :)

6. ThereIs0nly0ne

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    No problem Sean. I'd suggest looking at using threaded inserts and cap head bolts also. I have my pedal set mounted on seat rails as well - here are a few pictures to give a bit more info:

Threaded inserts and cap head bolts:

[​IMG]

Drill a hole and screw in the insert:

[​IMG]

Slider attached to the base using a cap head bolt:

[​IMG]

Just make sure there's enough clearance for the 2 bolts to pass over each other in the slider mechanism so they don't restrict movement. There should be generally. If there isn't you can use pan head bolts instead for either the upper or lower ones. Cap heads I find are easier to use as an allen key make fitting easier in tight spots.

• Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    @Sean Kenney I've also got a DIY rig with a seat from a automobile supplier. That seat has got sliders too. I took some pictures how I mounted the seat to the wooden base platform. I just screwed two squared timbers to the sliders and then I screwed it with the seat onto the base.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Cool idea about the pedals on sliders as well....makes sense. Thank you

Thanks guys, huge help....that is what I was expecting, but somehow I started to get confused :D

@Thomas Friedrich what sort of seat "style" do you have? I am going for a sports style seat, but I was worried if it might be uncomfortable for regular gaming and pc-ing. The curve in for the upper shoulder area...any thoughts?

Seat I am looking at
    http://procarbyscat.com/seat/80-1610-51l

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I just have a cheap seat for about 70 Euro, but I'm quiet happy with it. I've got no problems driving in it for 3 or 4 hours an evening... but I only use my rig for racing. For the other games I play I've got an easy chair.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. M. Müller - VTC Simsport

M. Müller - VTC Simsport Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  11. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    @Sean Kenney I had an rSeat before building my latest rig and I could barely stand it. Granted, it's not the most padded seat but even after adding upholstery foam I just couldn't get comfortable and after about an hour in it I was ready to stand and move around.
    When I built my 8020 rig I went by the local scrap yard and picked up a Subaru Impreza seat (very similar to what you're looking at) for cheap. The things I like about my choice are:
    1) it's cloth. I always sweat on vinyl in the summer
    2) it reclines! Even if you don't need that for racing it is nice to have when you are simply sitting in your rig ironing out "computer stuff", watching a video etc.
    3) this model had a manual height adjustment which permits me to make super quick and easy adjustments that don't have to be made into the rig frame itself.
    4) It comes with rails so you can move it forward and back which can help getting in/out of the rig

One of the seats 4 "legs" bolted to the tranny tunnel so I had to alter it so it could be bolted to the floor. Once I did that it was easy to mount as it's just 4 bolts (in my case, right into the 8020 channel).
    I don't think one solution fits all but for me, function over beauty made racing far more enjoyable.:)

Bailey

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, that is a very similar seat style I was looking at, basically identical. My only concern was my shoulders with the sides as they roll out. I am not a big guy, 5"9-10" but bigger shoulders and chest, think it will be fine and for the price I am looking at, I know I won't find the perfect seat.

13. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! yeah, I don't have a junkyard anywhere around me, live on an island. I was initially going to go that route. I have limited options being where I am. The sports seat I am looking at does recline, which is a must for me, and from most reviews comfort rages from average to above. It also has sliders. I can get it for about $150, so its not a huge amount of money for a sear. If it doesn't work out, I will sell it to someone for their car :)

Now I just need to find an articulating keyboard and or mouse arm/tray...

14. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    You should be fine with a racing seat. I'm 1,78 m tall (tall...hmm... perhaps small would be the right word ;)) and I also got some bigger shoulders and chest, but I've got no problems with this kind of seat.
    For keyboard, mouse and arm/tray I would go something like this (will also be my next purchase):
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard (e.g. Amazon)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.raceroom.com/shop_de/gam...ubehor/bracket-sets/bracket-set-keyboard.html

15. Zonic2001

Zonic2001 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ThereIs0nly0ne - I need to check on those inserts in the USA... great idea! Has any inserts popped off the wood?

• Like Like x 1
  16. ThereIs0nly0ne

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    No issues with them at all, they're very secure. If you want to make doubly sure, you could always epoxy the inserts in-place but no need to at all in my experience. They're a really neat solution imho and this is just the type of application they were designed for.

17. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. I think the seat I have chosen will be fine for now.

I want a full keyboard mouse setup for "full" PC gaming...thinking more like this :
    http://www.mainperformancepc.com/pr...kpit/obutto-articulating-keyboard-mouse-tray/
    My only concern is the mouse area will not be sufficient....if that is the case I will have to "develop" something else...

Just need to figure out how I will attach it, although I am sure I will find a way.

18. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    @Sean Kenney If you're OK with that price range then FastTrackSims offers one here.
    I use this one and have no complaints.
    [​IMG]
    I had hubby weld a clamp on the end of mine and clamped it to my monitor stand, this way I could move it up or down. (bunny not included!)
    [​IMG]

If you look closely though you'll notice it's quite similar to articulating monitor mounts and you might even find one that would work (thinking of something along these lines but would need adequate rotation at end.)
    [​IMG]

A good keyboard mount really is important when you sit and type or use your rig for regular computing. I use a Trackball instead of a mouse because it only requires a small spot as it does not need to be moved.

Just some ideas. :)
    Bailey

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. paul heijmans

paul heijmans Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Whats the bunny,s name , its so cute ☺

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, great ideas. Does yours move at all?

One of the concerns for the one I had selected was its mousing ability for FPS(shaking, movement, etc...), so I may get the one you have so I can have separate keyboard and mouse options/flexibility.