Resolved Highest quality driver settings for NVIDIA cards

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by The Iron Wolf, Feb 24, 2016.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I decided to move away from AMD and will be switching to NVIDIA card. Could someone please share what are the highest quality AA settings for RRE in Nvidia Inspector? And, how do you set them, override or enhance?

Restarting game/loading location is agonizingly slow, so I hope to learn from someone else who figured this out already :)

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I guess it would depend on which Nvidia card you plan on getting and your in-game video settings. I recently switched from two R9 270X cards in Crossfire (which obviously wasn't working in R3E) to a single Gigabyte GTX 970G1, and these are the settings I currently use:

In Nvidia Control Panel (instead of NVInspector):

- 16 x Anisotropic Filtering
    - Anti-aliasing - Gamma Correction: On
    - Anti-aliasing - FXAA: Off
    - AA set to override application settings
    - 8 x AA Super-Sampling
    - Triple Buffering: On
    - Vsync: On
    - Negative LOD-bias: Clamp
    - Texture Filtering - Quality: Quality
    - Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: Off
    - All other setting: Use global settings

In-game video settings: everything set to "High" and "On", except for

- FXAA: Off
    - Multi-sampling: No AA
    - Shadows: Medium
    - Shadow split: Off
    - Motion blur: Fast
    - Motion blur quality: Medium
    - Rearview mirror quality: Medium

I use Nvidia's DSR to run R3E at 2560x1440 @ 60Hz (max native resolution of my monitor is 1920x1080) and with these settings I get a solid 60 fps at the back of the field on every track I tried so far. In comparison: with a single R9 270X I was getting 40-55 fps with much lower in-game video settings (mostly low to medium). Even in games that do work with Crossfire, the GTX 970 blows the 2 R9's out of the water, so I can highly recommend that card :)

Hope this helps, cheers !

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Very similar to my story :) I couldn't run RRE (due to lack of CF) and rF2 (due to interesting engine that needs enormous amounts of SSAA to look ok) at quality I wanted, so I switched to GTX 780 Ti - my problems are gone in an instant.
    Did you notice any difference of this setting in RRE?

Just wanted to share my findings with you: I found that 8xMSAA + 8xSGSSAA looks best in RRE and especially rF2. It produces a bit blurrier image than settings you recommend, but I get less aliasing, and aliased track side lines (white ones) really annoy me.

Thanks for the input and cheers!

4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    You better will disable vsync and triple buffing.
    Vsync add a lot of input lag, so does triple buffer.

5. SANDER van DORN [GER]

SANDER van DORN [GER] Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    How do u activate SGSSAA, @The Iron Wolf? Could you post a screenshot with the settings?

Thanks mate \m/

6. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    guten tag,
    I cannot post right now, but are you familiar with NVidia Inspector? (btw, written by German person I believe). In that tool, you create new profile and associate it with RRRE.exe. And, set AA to 8Q 8xMSAA + transparency AA to 8xSGSSAA. It is critical that MSAA level matches SGSSAA level. Also, apparently LOD needs to be adjusted for best quality, but I did not get time to it yet. Also note, that SGSSAA on my machine is slower than SSAA Transparency AA (IIRC that's because it applied to the whole scene, not only transparent areas).

I will post screenshot if that will help. Especially gMotor based titles benefit from SGSSAA a lot, so GTR2/Race07/rF2 in my experience look best with it (on NVidia). AMDs SSAA looks better (no blurriness introduced.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, the "clamp" setting for negative LOD-bias is something I carried over from my GTR2 and Race07 days and the 8800 GTX I was using back then (yeah...long time ago ;) ) and I haven't tried any other setting yet. Back then, it was said to reduce aliasing and shimmering when using anisotropic filtering. Maybe that changed since then ? I've been away from PC gaming for a few years so I admit I still have some catching up to do on the technical level...
    Thanks for sharing your findings on AA settings, I'll give 8xMSAA a try as well then and see what I like best. Not sure how to set 8xSGSSAA though...

EDIT: just read your post above, I'll see if I can get that to work

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  8. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but it looks good :D Haven't noticed much input lag though, doesn't that affect mostly mouse and keyboard input ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SANDER van DORN [GER]

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Yeah man, german guy here ;) ... Screenshot would be very nice. I set the values in NVidia-Inspector but I have extreme ingame stuttering and FPS around 30-40 :confused: (while GPU load is around 99%). Some other settings seem to be wrong. I run a GTX 980 TI and I think it should be able to handle SGSSAA.

10. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    My guess you are running triple screen, or above 1080p, right? I would be surprised 980TI having difficulty, as I had my old HD6970 work just fine with up to 4xSSAA, which left a lot of aliasing though. 780TI works at 50-60FPS in 1080p with above mentioned settings and everything maxed out.

I will post screenshot later tonight or tomorrow.

11. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It affect any input ;-)
    Input lag is not about the controller, but about the time delay between your action and the effective display of the resulting picture. And we're talking here about almost tenth of secondes... It's worst if you're display is 60hz "only" of course

The best way too see it is to activate the virtual wheel, you'll see a slightly delay between you're own physical wheel and the virtual wheel.
    If you get use playing without vsync and no input lag you'll find hard to go back to vsync.
    Catching an oversteer, breaking point, apex, all of that feel more natural...

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. SANDER van DORN [GER]

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, I'm running 4K ;) ... Hmmmm, SGSSAA is probably too demanding at this resolution - even for a 980 TI :(. But a screenshot will surely help other board members - I think lot of people are not familiar with NV-Inspector. Have a good night & thanks again for your effort #thumsup

13. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    4k might explain it. If one does 4k, that roughly does 4xSSAA then, if you apply additional AA to it, man, this goes exponential and will kill any device :) Note that at some point AA does no longer matter and makes things worse. Sometimes having too many choices is a pain. DSR, MSAA,FXAA, SMAA, SSAA, SGSSAA ... crazy :) Anyway - good night.

14. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Here goes: nvUntitled.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Stiku

Stiku Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

If you use vsync and turn it off, the tearing will eat you apart, unbearable and so unnatural.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Tearing with vsync off is pretty acceptable in R3E.
    And as the game is not really resource hungry it's pretty easy to reach high fps that limit a lot the tearing

When I played on my 60hz 1080p tv I noticed almost no tearing when frame rate was above 100fps.

And as a driving experience I rather prefer a little bit of tearing but no input lag than the opposite

17. Stiku

Stiku Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    High FPS does not prevent tearing(reduce,remove or add), fast motions cause tearing, meaning more movement more tearing, less movement less noticeable tearing. Also bigger the screensize, more noticable the tearing becomes.

Also vsync on or off is an personal preference. some like it on some don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Input lag is a thing.. Not a personal preference ;-)

But if you can play with it... Good for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    You should try out the actual super sampling offered via the inspector. From that screenshot, you are just using 8x MSAA, which is the same as what the in-game settings offer.

Try the "2x2 Supersampling D3D only" setting. That would be a true 4k experience. Basically, it is sampling 2x the horizontal pixels, and 2x the vertical pixels. You could also try the combined AA options like the 8xSQ (2x2 supersampling w/ 2x MSAA).

The combined AA options work well from my experience in other games, although I still havent been able to get the inspector to work with Raceroom. Havent really dug into the options though as someone in another thread mentioned. Seems kinda finicky really.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1