Bailey's Free Custom Button Box for R3E - Using Your Tablet

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Bailey Lagstrum, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I've made several of these in the past and wanted to share this here in case we have some members who would like/need a free button box for RaceRoom to use with their tablet.

Many of you have probably heard of Roccat's Power-Grid tablet software, but for those who haven't let me give you a brief introduction.
    Power-Grid is a free program that runs simultaneously on your race computer (host) and your tablet (Android or iOS). Your tablet then acts as a remote control which can then be used to open a program, execute a macro or simply simulate a single key press on your computer.

Power-Grid allows you to make your own grid of buttons using their included icons and buttons or add your own custom graphics for a custom grid- which is what I've done here. As this software does not yet support Landscape Grid I created my own as my race tablet is mounted in a landscape position - something I'm sure most sim racers do.

Please note my grid was created in and for Landscape view only.

[​IMG]
    I have modeled my button box grid after an actual MoTeC style keypad and created a variety of button graphics to cover many popular RaceRoom button mappings. When the "MoTeC" button is pressed, the lights on top go green giving you a visual indication that the button has been pressed. You will also hear a click thru your desktop speakers/headphone. (Note: sounds can be disabled)

[​IMG]

How To Install And Use My Grid

- Download and install ROCCAT Power-Grid on your racing computer (host).
    - Download it's remote app onto your tablet. I have only used it on an Android tablet but the site list an app for iOS.
    - Open R3E and make note of your in-game button mappings (ex: M = Trackmap).
    These must be entered into Power-Grid to make it function as I have purposefully left them blank.
    - Download my R3E grid from my DropBox and Import it into Power Grid on your host computer.
    Power-Grid> Editor Tab > Import Package>R3E-LANDSCAPE.RPGP (Approx. 15mb)

- After importing my grid and custom buttons, you will find my custom MoTeC buttons under Controls > Custom Controls
    You can use my included R3E grid as the foundation and begin removing/adding buttons and arranging your layout.
    - After arranging your grid enter the key which you want mapped to each button.
    Enter this in the Function Box.

[​IMG]
    - Once you are finished with your custom grid click Apply to save your new layout.
    - Click Add to Bar to place your custom grid into an available slot to allow grid selection.

:)
    Bailey

• Winner x 21
    • Like x 15
    • Useful x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Love it! x 2
    • Wonderful x 1
  2. ThereIs0nly0ne

ThereIs0nly0ne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic stuff Bailey, this looks wonderful! Your 'real' button boxes are awesome too :)

Powergrid is definitely a useful bit of software.

3. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Thanks J :)
    I don't have any where near the creativity/skill you have but I do the best with what I gots!! lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this! I look forward to testing it out :)

5. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Great stuff Bailey!

6. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. If you find any oopsies or need addt'l buttons let me know.
    B

7. Dgr

Dgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Nice one Bailey, I will try this out tomorrow.

8. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bailey, I haven't paid for an additional grid slot, was only using the two free slots, in Roccat Power-Grid until now! Nice job.
    Only thing is... my other grids are vertical (pCARS, AC, GSCE). Actually wish PG had a landscape mode but your grid is a good solution.

9. filip1999

filip1999 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    F**KING AWSOME DUDE

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ThereIs0nly0ne

ThereIs0nly0ne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Dudette ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Very, very nice!

12. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it is a great little app but a bit hard to understand why rotation isn't built in. :( I mean even if, for some reason, they could not get entire grids to rotate properly due to varying block sizes, I think they could offer a way to rotate a graphic and button title in editor mode. That alone would allow people to make landscape grids within the app (no photoshop necessary) using the included icons etc.

I did make one for AC as I could never remember their pre-set keyboard shortcuts and would always end up with a raceline or leaderboard showing and no idea how to turn it off without using a mouse! lol

You're welcome to my landscape AC grid but it's nothing special. I called it "NiteGlow" as it has that lighted dashboard look me thinks. :) The color of the "glow" is easily changed by choosing a different Background Color.

[​IMG]

The initial reason I used this app instead of my "physical" button box was because I still think Race07/GTR2 are great titles and they limit us to 3 controllers of course. It was easier than using my Xpadder software and as a bonus, the buttons are labeled according to game. :) It's always been tough for me to come up with the ideal layout for every game using one single button box as some titles don't have/use features that others do.

Bailey

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Gonna check this out asap! Looks great! :hearteyes:

14. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    @Bailey Lagstrum
    Cheers for the info & links, awesome app, ideal for a tablet. Looks like I'll have to have a chat to the finance minister to determine if there's enough funds in the sports and recreation coffers to warrant a 2nd hand purchase, 8" tablet should do the trick me thinks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bailey Lagstrum

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Glad someone can use it.:) I've made grids for GSCE and Euro Truck as well if anyone is interested let me know. It has been really helpful to me with titles that have a 3 controller limits.
    Cheers,
    Bailey

16. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Yeah mate,,that looks awesome...

Works a treat....I don't have a tablet just a Z3 compact...but nice one,,thanks

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  17. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Got myself a custom wheel rim but at this time without buttons on it so this will be awesom to get some functions back. :)

18. Chmul Khom

Chmul Khom Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Hi, i use my custom R3E virtual button box with the APP/Software "SimRacing-Tools --Dashboard--" (www.simracing-tools.de). Web-based, available for all OS

[​IMG]

i use it with a 9,7" Android Tap...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    If someone could make a video for how to make this work for dummy ( or in my case , old and impatient ) I would love it. I have an android phone that I'm using as a display and a IPad or a laptop I can use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Great stuf.
    But in my case i don't get it done in assetto corsa and raceroom.
    Maybe my english is to difficult to understand or my haircolor is the Problem.
    Installing is not the problem but i can't come further at this point:
    Open R3E (or assetto corsa) and make note of your in-game button mappings (ex: M = Trackmap).
    These must be entered into Power-Grid to make it function as I have purposefully left them blank.

I hope that someone can help me from that point
    Greetings, Jos