What would you upgrade from a g27(Clubsport V3 pedals or T300 set)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sean Kenney, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    So, I may be looking to upgrade some hardware. I have the full G27 set-up. I am a bit torn on what I want to do, but I think I have narrowed it down to two options.

One, is to upgrade just the pedals to the Clubsport V3. USD $299+shipping for me

The second is to get the T300 Ferrari Alcantara set. $469.

I have used the 300 wheel, its very nice, and the pedals seem decent and have a brake mod. Clearly though the V3 pedals are pretty sweet and look very well made.

Any thoughts?

2. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    For me it would be the T300 set because of the better wheel. I know the pedals are for sure not so nice as the Clubsport but the default 3 pedal set of the Alcantara edition is not a bad drive. With the conical brake mod, the brake feels very "loadcell" like.

The alcantara wheel on itself is a beauty, so that's another reason.

The reason is that the complete set (also the TH8A shifter) is fully usable on the ps3 and ps4. Maybe you have one or in the future would get one.

It's a pitty that the pedals aren't the pro edition, i like the more metal feel of those.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

Yeah, I guess one frame I am looking at upgrading is would any of these increase my performance. If so which and or what aspects. I do not like the braking on the g27...although I have never used another set of pedals...so I don't know any better or worse.

I guess I could sell the tpa pedals if I got the set and also get the V3 :D How can I do that with out the gf finding out, lol.

4. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Just tell her that you bought them because Liverpool did not win the EPL, and you didn't want to walk alone

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Buy her something too:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  6. Caledonian Wolf

Caledonian Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I just got a T300 and an Alcantara add on together from ebay. Around $390us depending on the exchange rate. (still available) I stuck with G27 pedals converted to a ricmotech load cell and an adapter that runs the pedals off the wheel. Pedals work much better with the increased resolution you get from the T300.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Caledonian Wolf

Caledonian Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
  8. Stiku

Stiku Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just to throw this in, the T300 returnrate is around 35% within the first 14 days and RMA rate is over 70% overall.
    Just to clarify this, anything over 10% is considered Chinese quality, and well the T300 is considered dog*hit.
    Not to mention how Thrustmaster handles RMA, which is they don't, they constantly reject them without cause. Everywhere you look, newegg,ebay,local shops doesn't matter what continent, everyone is complaining about the crappy quality.

Go for the pedals, atleast they will help you shave off time from you laps, unlike T300 owners who sit on the pits unable to turn.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, imo, if you already have a G27, there is little reason to upgrade the wheel now unless you have tons of moolah to spend. Sure there are better wheels out there obviously, but the wheel isnt going to make you drive better. Pedals will though.

If you get the T300 package, you will still be upgrading pedals down the road. The Clubsport V3s are a nice loadcell based pedal set that should last quite a while... as opposed to the T3PA pedals that come with the more expensive T300 package, which are still potentiometer based pedals. On their own, the T3PA's are far too expensive while still being potentiometer pedals.

The difference between them and a loadcell is pretty big and once you get used to the difference, you should be able to better modulate your braking, thus allowing you to brake more smoothly, threshold brake better, and lock up less.

Pedal upgrade > Wheel upgrade

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But if you buy her^ something, wouldn't that create even bigger problems with the gf? :p ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Sean, I bought V3 pedals a week ago and with G27 wheel (until I buy something "stronger") is a very good combination. Pedals simply brought new dimension to my drive feeling compared to G27 pedals (GTEYE modded and with Bodnar cable connected to PC). I wrote something about on RD forum under Mark s review :)

Cheers.

12. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    CspV3 FTW ! Definitely mate, they look awesome, work brilliantly and built to last. I upgraded to them last year from my cspV1 which were still going strong after 5 years heavy use - you will not regret ;)

That TM wheel however :( I agree totally with Stiku as I have read far too many stories of problems sooner or later, not worth the risk & grief that is high possibility.

Clubsport Pedals V3 feel very comfortable to use and come with 2 different sets of pedals - I use mix of 2 sets :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Pedals

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    I'd get the pedals, no 2nd thoughts at all.
    I have CST F1 pedals, these suckers also have a 90kg load cell in them like the V3's, once I got the pedals setup the way I like them, and got use to the fact I can almost STAND on the brakes, I found I could go way deeper into the brake zone, and braking was more refined due to the load cell being 12bit & not 4bit like the G27 & 25's.
    There is no question in my mind that having a decent set of pedals under foot is a potential 1+ seconds gain per lap.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Same here....I have had a T300 set, and i was thinking to buy a CSP v2 (that was before they released v3), but i thought it just doesn't worth that much money. When they released the v3, and i've seen the pictures, i just couldn't resist anymore, and preordered it....and had the same feeling as Matej.... there is no meaning to compare the t3pa pedals to the Fanatec...they are not in the same league... So i would say go for the fanatec pedals (but be prepared if you do, most probably you will end up with a complete fanatec set, that how it happened with me, soon after the pedals came the v2 base with a bmw rim, after the f1 rim, it is addictive :D)
    Someone mentioned the reliability problem of the thrustmaster products (t300 and tx mostly), unfortunately i have to agree, in about 1,5 years time 2 Tx and 2 T300 died on me, and im not an insane racer... i loved how they felt to drive, but they just kept breaking down....

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I would buy her anything....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  17. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    An excuse that can be used for another 25 years. :D

I would say get the pedals as I believe there is a lot of truth to the sim racing adage "a good wheel makes you fast but good pedals make you faster". As a CSP v2 user myself I can say the load cell brake is a game changer. That said, I have had a few niggles with my CSP and I'm not sold on some of the design aspects, particularly the fragile-looking, exposed wiring. Hopefully the CSP v3 addresses some of the old problems.

The T300 is a very good wheel though. I know it has a dubious reputation for reliability but mine has been flawless so far and feels more solid than the Fanatec it replaced. Slightly prefer the FFB too - lots of detail and subtlety.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Upgraded from a DFGT to the T300. HUGE difference in smoothness and much quicker reacting than the Logitech type mechanism (DFGT, G25, G27), as well as force feedback strength. And no on-center dead spot I had with the DFGT.
    I was able to catch/correct slides that I wasn't able to with the DFGT.

The jury is out on my T3PA Pro pedals. Coolness factor "9.5". Mashing the pedal and having the chair slide backwards...meh. I did miss my DFGT pedals at first. But getting used to the new set.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Can't speak from 1st hand experience so not sure how accurate this is, I read that there was issues with the Fanatec v1's & v2's loadcell pots, if you had the load cell pot wound out past 50% intensity, it increased the chance of the pot failing prematurely. I can't say if Fanatec have used the same pot on the v3 loadcell, hopefully they haven't being that it's a 90kg cell.
    Like I said, not sure of the accuracy, but thought it worth a mention.

Cheers

20. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    V3's have totally new & redesigned electronics. They do not have a potentiometer to adjust brake sensitivity. That function is done electronically via driver software. There is a mechanical adjustment for brake throw/tension.

My V1 csp still worked well even after 5 years when I upgraded to V3.

• Like Like x 1