Customskins in R3E?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andreas Pierer, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    I doubt many companies are going to pursue some little skinning team for use of a copyrighted logo in a simulation race game.
    Example: I did personal team skins for all my cars in netKar Pro, at the time I had Pedders suspension do a complete lowered sports kit on my car, I liked their Logo so I started using it in my liveries, but to be safe I contacted Pedders head office and made inquiries regarding the use of their logo on my skins, to my surprise they were all for it, and glad to have some free exposure, they actually encouraged me to hand out the logo to other skinners if I felt so inclined.

I'm not saying all companies would respond the way Pedders did, but most would probably be happy for the free advertising.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Exactly....today big companies often pay more for advertising incl. all kind of PR related stuff than for the costs of their own production lines..so as long there is no heavy violation in terms of laws they are of course happy for free advertising...

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    All true, but the simple fact is that files are encryted, for various reasons and the foremost being piracy prevention I guess.
    So my answer was in response to those suggesting S3/RR should do the publishing after internal review. And as soon as they release anything via their platform then they have to own a license for that. (except their own original creations of course)

Not sure if it would be possible to unlock the skins (i.e. take away the encryption) only. Guess it would, but not sure. But that again is something I believe is not S3's hands.

4. Gerhard Gruber

Gerhard Gruber Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I would be thrilled about Custom Skins in R3E

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Oh ............ another GT Pro Series driver. ;) :cool:

[​IMG]

Yes i also keep my fingers crossed for Custom skin support in R3E.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Must admit, I've (almost) performed a 180 on this issue since my first post last April. Having recently learned to skin for SCE I definitely see the value in allowing custom skin support for R3E.

That said, I'm not that bothered if custom skin support ever makes it to R3E but I think it would be sensible to work it into the game somehow (maybe selling a custom livery slot per car?).

People like to have their own identity when racing online, not least leagues and clubs who, for the most part, must view custom skin support as a prerequisite when choosing a platform to use. Older Simbin titles were very popular with leagues/clubs so it's a shame to think many must have moved to other, more open platforms like AMS, rF2 and AC.

With it's wealth of content and performance balanced classes, R3E surely has the most to offer as a league/club platform?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Streets

Streets New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it's a pity that there is no such thing here. is nice and good that you want to have it real. But is not it necessary to form your own teams? I drive myself in a gt3 league and find it puking that I drive a team where I have zero reference! In today it should be possible to drive your own team skins. iracing has such a service, too. and r3e is nothing else.

Sry google übersetzer ;-)

8. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
  9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Reading Vice (from 2 years ago), good point that it would be nice to simply be able to overwrite the skins in game. Leave the skin you want in the skins folder unpacked and let it load from there. Wouldn't solve anything in multiplayer, but would be fine offline.

10. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Yeahi... someone dig out this thread... it’s groundhog day again!!!

I think all has been said and written about custom skins, all the pros, the cons and the doubts...

But I take this chance (again), to not let this topic ever be forgotten.

The niche market of simracing is growing, perhaps more than it ever had. Look at all the communities streaming live events, they not just stream the race, there are one or two commentators, a guy that is the stream director, there are after race interviews with the drivers. It gets closer to real life motorsport broadcast continually... it‘s really professional today.
    The Simracing Expo is growing too, with more and more people attending and more exhibitors showing their products. There are big events with big prizes running all weekend long, professionally streamed all over the world, people can also sit down at the Nurburgring and watch the races on a Europe’s biggest screen. By the way, the screen, where the iRacing events with custom skins are shown, is in front of the RaceRoom Cafe at the plaza.

I think S3 has to implement such a crucial feature as custom skins to the sim. For online competitions and the media, like the streaming, it’s really an essential. S3 forces even their own eSport engagement and for real eSports, I think they experienced it firsthand, as the commentators regularly confuse driver names, because half of the cars on the grid (I’m exaggerating here a bit) got the same skin...

What I would like to have, after so many requests from so many people here within the forum, is a statement from S3... that would also put an end to all the rumors... „S3 wants custom skins too, but KW don’t allow it“, „it’s a problem of copyrights“, „perhaps the engine isn’t capable of this feature“....

...a lot of words, again... but hey, it’s groundhog day! Cheers!...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  11. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I understand the argument with licencing issues.
    But what about the fantasycars? Maybe there is a way to implement a System that we can create liverys for this Type of cars. And when there is an agreement for the real racecars, the system for customskins is ready.
    And if not, well, we have to use fantasycars - better than nothing

12. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    It probably has to do with licensing, guess. Some manufacturers probably don't agree that easily on allowing custom liveries and I assume it'd be even harder for series like DTM. Didn't PCars have a completely white DTM-like car because of this?