What would you upgrade from a g27(Clubsport V3 pedals or T300 set)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sean Kenney, Mar 14, 2016.

1. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    The pedals are awesome but the alcantara set with the t3pa you Can't go wrong.
    I had a g25 and the jump to a t300 with a t500 pedals set is huge.
    To me the wheel is more important than the pedals but t3pa pro with a break mod is quite good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Quite the opposite for me.
    Superior pedals give you a tangible advantage. Better brakes can save you tenths and the vibration of the v3 is extremely helpful to understand when you're about to lock tires. Plus they look sick! :)
    Wheel is secondary imo cause even with a crappy one you can still have good control and set trajectories and obtain decent laptimes.
    Obviously they complement each other but to me the first step when you want to upgrade your rig is starting from the bottom (literally!).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I ended up going with the Fanatec V3 pedals. Reason being is I feel my weakest aspect of racing right now is hard braking. They are well made, and although expensive seem to have really improved on the issues of the v2s.

One of the reasons I also went that direction, was reliability of the 300 wheel. I was planning on also getting it insured(squaretrade), but after all the maths it was creeping up there. I may still pick it up at some point, or go for the fanatec v2 wheel.

It was a tough decision and I think it was win win, no matter what way I went.

Now I just have to wait for an eon for it to arrive :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Stiku

Stiku Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Here is a nice bonus for you.

You are going to notice a huge improvement on the accuracy and modulation. Just from the 12-bit ADC that comes with the pedals(and if you want, you can ADC that can handle 16bit even, that is 65535 steps vs 4096).

At hardware level the adjustability of the pedals, the travel, the force required to move the pedals especially on the brake, you can set it just right for your foot, making those corners that need trailbraking more easier to handle.

And yes, you can always upgrade the wheel when you feel like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    whats ADC?

6. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Hey Nice choice Sean you will be really happy as they are great pedals and actually rival those which are more than twice the cost imho :cool:

ADC = Analogue to Digital Converter. It takes the analogue signal sent when you press the pedals and coverts it at high resolution of 12 bits which is 2 to the power of 12 or 4096 digital steps. That is actually more than enough for the purpose of our pedals and gives an excellent range where you achieve fine grain control over the way you modulate the pedals, chiefly brake but also to feather the throttle, feather is just light touch or small amounts of gas to keep you at max power without losing traction. Having this extra control over the brake allows you to threshold or "on the limit" brake - braking just to the limit of the tires traction or adhesion.

It's all good stuff to & you will have lots of fun learning how much better you can brake ! :D

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    And that is why when my g29 broke after 4 months i did not go for a t300, was pondering it but read so many horror stories on the net about them. Instead i went for its older brother the t500 with the t3pa pro pedals and ferrari f1 rim. Best invetment i could have made. Makes the g27 feel like a toy, its solid and has great feel. Got the brakemod and it has excellent feel too. Could not justify the fanatec gear or a direct drive wheel either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    That is good to hear mate, it was quite awhile ago but I had a short go of the T500 and it definitely is a nice strong wheel that looks pretty solid. Perhaps the T300 cut a few corners quality & component wise to save the $$$

I think if I didn't have the Accuforce I would be choosing between that and the CSW v2. If I didn't already have pedals though it would be hard to pass up the T500 pack that includes the T3PA Pro Pedals because I have only ever heard good things about those. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  9. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Aussie Stig made a great review of the V3's over at Race Department.

10. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I have the T500 set also, and i'm very happy with it. I installed the conical brake mod though, for better "muscle memory" braking. I also have the thrustmaster TX as a second base for use with the xbox one, the TX nowadays is my primary device (PC, etc) and the T500 as my Playstation wheel. Both doing strong, if you put them directly into a usb port on the computer. The TM wheels don't like many (but not all) USB hubs, calibration errors or going dead as a symptom.

I personally think that the return rate of the Thrustmaster wheels could be to high, it's hard to tell. And there are negative post here in this thread about it, some from personal experience. But remember that TM has the lion share of the wheel market and thus more likely to popup in forums in a negative way. Internet is just not balanced enough: people drive silent in satisfaction but complain on the internet if there is a problem. No company can survive if products have a return rate as some mentioned here, that is more internet poehahh then a balanced view on things.

That mentioned i would love to have the Fanatic wheel and pedals.
    Sean congrats which you purchase and you're now a second faster a lap :p.

Just my two cents view on it:D.

• Like Like x 3
  11. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    It is surprising they haven't done anything about the reliability of the t300. Imagine how many more they would sell if they were more robust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sean Lander

Sean Lander Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Definitely Club Sport!

13. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Depends on how much you are willing to invest.
    I started a few years ago with Logitech G27.
    Not really happy with the pedals and the FFB I changed within a few weeks to the Thrustmaster T500RS (GT5 branded), which was a huge improvement imo. The wheel (though it had a rubber rim) was a bit bigger, pedals felt really nice (I did use the MrBasher brake mod -with the skateboard bushings). Only downside were the torsion springs used in the pedals. They failed all the time. Thrustmaster did send replacements during the warranty period and afterwards I bought extra's, but I got fed up having to replace them every few months.
    I then bought the GT6 branded model which had compression springs. They never failed.
    The rubbery rim still bothered me and I then tried the leather add on. But I did not like the push buttons and it felt too small.
    Mobsim (France) had a nice add on, leather and 30cm, but when I ordered it, it was out of stock and I never heard of them again !?

So I switched to FANATEC V2 with Porsche 918 RSR and the Formula Carbon Rims, clubsport V3 pedals with a extra damper for the brake.
    Best choice I made.
    Never knew a wheel and pedals could transfer that kind of FFB !
    Though that also depends on the rig you use. I recently switched from my thrusty RaceRoom RR2000 to a SIMETIK K2 (mainly because this rig has the possibility to change the wheel in three dimensions. The K2 is so robustly built that my FFB also improved a lot, which was a pleasant surprise to me.

One remark: I had an issue with the V2 base, had to use RMA and Endor said it could take up to 4 weeks to repair and ship back.
    1 month without racing did not sound good, so I bought a almost new second hand G27 as a temporary substitute, and to keep as a backup.
    I used only the wheel and shifter, but that was a real dissapointment after the Thrustmaster and Fanatec stuff.
    Only 4 days later I got my V2 base back (great work from Endor!), removed the G27 and sold it immedtiately.
    Though I can imagine people liking the G27 and I am by no means saying it is a bad set, I would not recommend them trying out other wheels. They will probably end up buying new ones pretty fast...

14. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    LoL :D Nice story Fanpryde ... don't ever try a direct drive wheel then, your csw might just end up in the bin ! :eek:

I keep debating whether to get the damper kit for my cspV3's ... only would want it for the brake.

15. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I have been looking at a DD wheel, but I'll stick to the Fanatec for now.
    I would strongly recommend the damper, but only for the brake. No use on the throttle.

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  16. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I sold my G27 and bought a T500rs with the T3PA pro pedals and a Bodinhausen Load Cell. I really enjoyed the G27 pedals with the GTEye Spring but this load cell for the brake is wonderful.

17. Stiku

Stiku Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think its too costly to start altering things mid way, or with a warehouse full of product waiting to be shipped.
    Latter being the most common case.

Second is how much they are willing to invest to find and fix the biggest issues and can this new revision cause old customers to start knocking on the door, demanding a fix for the old rev. But the only way to get things fixed is either show them that in their revenue stream or a really big burst of customer feedback, and I don't see that happening on a larger scale, just because most T300 users seem not to care about having a quality product that last's.
    Shame really, I have had a go with the T300 and it has a good FFB and a good feeling to it, but I can justify myself enough to buy one, if I have to keep sending them to repairs and get gray hairs on the side.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rik Fast

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Just an out of the blue sentence...why why should you think that. I know you have an issue with TM but to invent another ones perception of a product or their care level is just wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Pedals shipped...just have to wait a couple to few more weeks to get here....since they have a unique way of getting to me.

20. Rik Fast

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Let us know how you like them when in use, congrats.