Day /night and weather transitions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by townnet, Jan 30, 2015.

1. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
  2. Marcus Jaeger

Marcus Jaeger Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Right now the game supports five time of day settings; Sunrise, Morning, Noon, Afternoon, and Sunset. As we continue to improve the foundation of the project, the plan to stick to dry settings and daytime racing remains for the time being.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Marcus, it might not be the answer everyone is wanting but appreciate you taking the time to let us know and give us a reference for when this inevitably gets raised 100+ times in future.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    24h day/nightime cycle would be really great, but seeing it on pcars how complicated everything is with the shadows&performance, the different time of day settings are a good alternative, but those 5 are a bit little :(.... a sunrise/sunset has hundred possibilities, different colors, different sun angles etc. etc. and there is still foggy and overcast condition.

..but maybe it's technically possible to fade-in from sunrise to sunset, not sure how it would look though.

5. townnet

townnet Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Assetto corsa Kunos dev already admit that their engine won't support weather transition, that's why i move to R3E... Really want to know R3E engine can do it or not.

6. Rodger Davies

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    For me, I'm perfectly happy with the time of day options; they look great morning to evening and I realise it's a lot of work to implement a full cycle.

If possible, one thing I would like to see in future is being able to set a different 'time' for each session. For example, a morning practice session, evening qualifying and afternoon race. If that's not possible with the way the engine loads the content, fair enough, but if it is I think it could add some immersion to a race weekend.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    if they are to implement rain and weather they will do it to a high quality and realism so id expect weather like patchy showers to actually randomly start and stop, they'd have to code aqua planing/puddles and probably some sort of dry line and finally accurate tire temps (wet tires overheating when on the dry for too long). as someone who lives in New Zealand i very much appreciate wet racing and would love to see it in the game if it is done properly but i don't expect it anytime soon.

but if they do create a v8supercars experience (or just supercars as it is soon to be called with the introduction on turbo 6's) weather is a must as it effects the series hugely (svg in the rain).

• Like Like x 1
  8. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Night racing isn't that appealing to me, but changeable weather would be nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Iit would be nice to be able to change the skies. For example 'clear', 'mid clear' and 'overcast'.

I wonder if that is in the pipeline, or it can be implemented as i suppose the change in skies is only a graphical factor and as such not a great deal of work? It would add more diversity to the game as now the skies are set automatically.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I dropped on to RACE 07 the other day and was quiet surprised and refreshing to see rain on exiting the pits, so yeah even a bit of rain now and again would be welcome.

11. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Maybe something to get it in priority for the Publisher RaceRoom and their Event-Version and maybe as a little side-effect for us:

Dynamic Weather and Time of Day based on real-life data would be great.
    Imagine sitting in a RaceRoom-Booth at a Racetrack during a Raceweekend and having exactly the same Conditions as the real Drivers out on the Track - especially at the Nürburgring during the 24h...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    As much as I love night racing and dynamic weather, in all of the racing games I play that have those features (RF2, Automobilista, and Project Cars) about 99% of the races are held in dry, clear, noon or mid-afternoon times. I know everyone asks for these kinds of features almost ceaselessly, but the immense amount of effort required to get the physics, looks, and feeling right for these types of features and the extremely low usage rate they see means it is often a huge time investment for little to no payoff. Again, I LOVE night racing, but I'd much rather see features that everyone will use regularly and often instead of a feature set that will be used heavily for a week then basically forgotten about.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Martin93

Martin93 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Automobilista don't have dynamic weather

14. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    No, but it has day and night with transitions. It was easier to lump all 3 together than separate specifically AMS.

15. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    When I first got into sim racing, one of the first things I did was join an online league in GTR2. And at the beginning of each season, we would vote on track conditions. And it was always amost a unanimous descision to have dynamic weather.
    And every time the forcast was rain, everybody would bitch and moan about how much they hated racing in the rain. And invariably someone would ask "can't we change that."
    I came to understand that everybody wants "conditional" realism. In other words. I want it available, but I don't want to experience it. So it make perfect sense to me that it is a low priority. I don't like driving in the rain in my real car. Why would I want it in a game?
    Also one of my favorite things in GTR2 is 24 races. But for it to feel real, it has to be at least 3hrs long. Quite honestly, I don't have 3 cosecutive hours to sit at my rig. So that's no longer an option. Most of my racing is in the day time. Can't see a blasted thing on the screen during night races. So none of these options is important to me.
    Anyway the official response didn't rule it out in the distant future. But it will take a huge demand for the publisher to give it a nod. And it will take massive amounts of man hours to make it happen.
    And I will close with one word.
    BETA!

16. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I take it you have not raced much in ProjectCars career mode ?

17. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Some of the competitors are already working on a dynamic track. That means the track builds up grip on the racing line through additional rubber and higher temperatures. Off the racing line you get more and more marbles over time. The track temperature is influenced by shadows/direct sunlight areas around the track. Of course the racing line dries first after the rain. I guess much of it is more relevant in oval racing. But it is still impressing and i cannot even imagine the amount of work for that.

However, I fear R3E falls 3 steps behind if there isnt even night or weather conditions.

18. Rodger Davies

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I stopped because they couldn't randomise the weather properly, so I only do single races now. I believe someone is working on a mod to fix this at the moment.

19. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I''m doing my last endurance races in career now. So almost done, except for a few invitationals. I can tell you, I had A LOT of rain, storm, mist, night races. If you race them all in full length, weather is pretty well implemented. It is just when compressing the race duration that issues show imo...

20. Rodger Davies

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    So I'm only interested in certain categories, such as the GT classes or the endurance championship. My issue is that if you run the same series twice, the weather is identical each time - it literally used the same script year to year, so if it started raining on lap 20 in the first season of GT4 it will do exactly the same in the second and third seasons if you do the same series again.

• Agree Agree x 1