Released Nordschleife

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by KW Studios, May 31, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I get the FFB effects, but the car is not unsettled at all. I can rush over kerbs as if they are not there. What catches me sometimes, is the grass - not the kerbs kicking my tyres.

Kerbs in general are more forgiving in RR than in AC, but on the Nordschleife it should be a really decisive issue to avoid the dangerous, steeper ones. In AC, when for example you slide onto a kerb with your tail, you can sometimes see the tail of the car lifting off by 30cm or so and jumping towards the centreline of the track, away form the kerb, before touching the tarmac again. If that "ballistic" arch lasts too long, or is happening with too much brute force, you can seriously oversteer and spin out. If you touch the same kerb with your front first, it can send you spinning or loosing control immediately, depending on the speed of the impact.

In RR, I roll over kerbs as if they are not there. They are cosmetic almost, creating FFB effects to the steering wheel, but I fail to the the car's atitude being effected as long as tyres do not touch grass - if they do, it depends again on car attitude, speed, and whether I can get the tyres rolling straight and the steering wheel centred and the speed low enough while there still is time to compensate.

The Kerbs on the Nordschleife should be a risk and a challenge, they are in reality. They can be dangerous in AC. They are of little or no relevance in RR. Which is my only issue with this else wonderfull track. I love it. Just give the steep kerbs some fangs and claws, please!

P.S. I pumped up the Kerb FFB effect to 100 for testing. Despite the steering wheel showing more effect, the car of course remained unaffected. FFB effects are manually set and attributed, like physical values manually get attributed to laserscanned surfaces. FFB does not change the physical variables. Changing the volume of your radio does not change the track or station being played.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    So ac is the reference for how it should be...Ok.
    Any real life footage/data/references/statements?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Wow that sounds insane :eek: I have put in countless hours at AC Nords and never experienced the kerbs like that so I must have trained myself to miss those kerbs without knowing. Can you tell me which kerbs especially have that effect ?

I would add though that Nords is a track where you would not usually look to cut any corners or ride the kerbs, fastest way round is on the black stuff here ... but I get what you're saying ;)

4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I referred to drivers saying that, and I occasionally read that here and there, or saw it on TV. AC I only mentioned because it probably is closer to what I take from these random inputs from many sources over the years.

But it is plain reason to expect that if you slide your rubber onto a kerb with lets say 10cm height and 50° steepness at 100 km that there should be any kind of relevant effect to the car, and most5 likely it shoudl feel like somethign impacting there and creating some momentum chnbaging the vector of mass in that part of the car: the cars gets unset, jumps to opposite direction. Throw a rubber ball against a wall and see what it does. Roll a rubber ball over a flat area - and then over a plain with an edge somewhere - and see it hop a bit. Right now I can afford to treat kerbs as if they are not substantial, I use them as ordinary track surface. With the flat ones, that might be okay, although they can be more slippery. But with the high and steeper ones, it is not okay.

There even are trackguides as written manuals on the net, at least one such manual there was that I stumbled over last year where they added warning on certain kerb to use, and certain others to avoid.

And no, I did not keep the links to any such material, I did not expect that I would need them since I did not foresee this debate happening. Regarding the track itself, since GPL I have done several hundred laps on it now, mostly in GT2, GSCE and AC, so I really know the pure layout a bit by now. :)

5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Then I must be doing sth wrong cause I for one can't simply drive over the steeper curbs without the car being severely unsettled by that. As before, I've seen all sorts of cars flipping over on those, including cars with rather soft suspension.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Previously, my T300 was set at 100% ffb. Strained wrist after hitting a curb and running into the gravel. My brand new servo actually went off center. Turned down ffb to 70% and reset the wheel (it's still not right).

Yesterday, hit 1st curb entering tourist track. First - car was violently thrown right, counter steered, touched it again, then the curb yanked me onto the grass.....turned down the multiplier. That hurt. I feel ya!:confused: Still sore today after 5 more attempts at replicating a bug at that curb. Even though I knew it was coming, it was still so unpredictable how violently or quickly, it would "snatch" the car and make it change direction. But if I hit the curb just perfect, the wheel would resist, but could hold a smooth line, riding the curb. Still, until I learn the track, I'm better off staying away off of them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Flipping over...? Switch landmine option off, I say.

Serious, I have not seen a single car so far even wagging its tail. Not mine, not the AI's. I hear the rumbling, I feel the steering wheel, but the car purrs and slides on on like a happy lazy cat. I would not know how to flip over the car or even just unsettling it by using a kerb even if i would want to provoke that.

Once on the grass - that is something different. But not the impact of the kerbs.

I drive with the default setups, I am too lazy to mess up these.

8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    o_O .. the struggle is real for me with the kerbs in "Hatzenbach" and "Spiegelkurve". As well as the right kerbs at "Hohe Acht"

I don't really have a problem getting the car out of control while hitting those kerbs... for example when you hit the kerbs at "Klostertal" (the last turn right before you get to the "Klostertalkurve") it will mostly catapult you back to the left. "Klostertalkurve" is the right turn before the "Karussell".

Experienced with WTCC2015 cars and GT3 cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I can't talk for anybody else but my experience falls in line with what sbtm said. There are certain "high" curbs where you can see from the tyre marks that the drivers tend to clip them irl, f.e.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^outside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just because a curb is steep doesn't always mean you can't use it.
    And then there are those curbs that are really brutal and have to be avoided at all cost. And those can lift the car quite easily (also in my RR experience), but saying that any high curb should make the car airborn at 100 kph just doesn't reflect what I've seen or felt when I was there, both as a spectator and tourist driver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, I remember interviews from the 24h-Nürburgring-Broadcast that the Racedrivers told that the try to avoid hitting most of the curbs on the nordschleife as they are very high, make your car nervous and can turn the car easily into a spin...

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that many curbs are bat country and (at least for me) those are pretty vicious in RR too.
    But there are a few that get cut by pro drivers. So simply saying all curbs are too tame or that all curbs should send the car flying just doesn't reflect what I've seen, read and heard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    And i remember ring-taxi driver say (i'm watching video on youtube), don't try to hitting cerbs in Schwalbenschwanz (left turn before small Karussell). Cerbs here is to high, easy to lost control

13. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    It's a 24h race. With every bump your suspensions have to work hard and when you drive on curbs even more. They try to avoid it because the drivers want to finish the race without any failures on the car.

Yes you definitely should avoid those curbs 'cause if you hit them you probably lose your car.

You have to find the curbs you can hit, there are plenty curbs to hit which make you even faster when you hit them but there are also plenty you really should avoid.

AND: Maybe this is self promotion but this video shows which curbs you can take and which you can't.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  14. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Only with NSU you can hit any cerbs :)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  15. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I like your opinion on making the curbs more hazardous.
    But I just tested AC and R3E back to back with the Nissan GT-R GT3 on Nordschleife hitting every curb. :D
    This was with a 360 pad so no ffb have any affect on this, and hitting the inside curbs was exactly the same between the two. :)

The difference I noticed was that I had to counter steer to avoid a spin out in AC when hitting some of the outside curbs, which was not the case in R3E.
    However, in the garage I noticed that the default TC in R3E was set to 24%.. .
    Took that down to 0 and tried to ride the outside curbs again.
    This was what happened. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In AC I was able to save every one of them.
    I also noticed that with TC at 0% there was actually a bit of pulling and unsettling from some inside curbs as well in R3E, so try reducing the TC might be a tip if you want it more challenging.

• Like Like x 4
  16. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Let me try to understand this, FFB waggles the wheel from side to side but car remains on the straight and narrow?
    I'd say turn up your FFB intensity on yer wheel, if my wheel moves left so do the front wheels of the car. I have noticed in a fair few video's that a lot of the quick drivers turn their FFB right down so as not to unsettle the car (Tossers) the win at all costs or leave brigade, after a 30 min race I've lost half a stone in sweat and my arms and neck ache to buggery but then isn't that how it's supposed to be?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I reckon 'Green Hell' doesn't quite capture it for me... more like Green Hell, Blue Hell, Green Hell, Blue Hell, Green, Blue, Green, Blue... :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. digitizer

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like Paul Ricard not Nordschleife :)
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Good points made, agree 100% and also I never ever have any traction control on, always at Zero, so maybe that is why my experience differs markedly from Skybird. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SargeFIN

SargeFIN New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Really nice driving Moritz! That video gave me some great tips about curbs I could hit and what I should avoid :)
    Is this lap driven with default setup or have you tuned up the car to your liking? I was wondering are there any good setup guides for Raceroom because I haven't really found any but one screenshot from "Pretend Race Cars" www-page? Would be nice to know what setups specifically do if you increase some value or decrease some value.
    Gotta subscribe your youtube and twitch channel when I get home from work :sunglasses:

• Like Like x 1