The multi player progression system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shardshunt, Mar 22, 2015.

1. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    In I racing there is a very in depth i rating and safety rating system but in race room I think a slightly lighter system might be more appropriate here's an idea of how it could work:

all is multiplayer only:
    you start with a low power open wheeler(formula ford?) and fwd hard top(mini cooper) and a flattish track:
    • first licence, you must beat a single AI set at 80 in two laps without invalidating your lap or making contact to to prove you can control the car.
    • 2nd licence (>0 points), you can race online but only in those easy cars but on an any track.
    • 3rd licence(>1000), you can race anything but only on about half of the online servers.
    • 4th licence(>5000), you can race anything.
    • max points is 10000
    you have a rating system that establishes what licence the player is on

a quick idea for the math to determine rating for a lap based race with over 10 cars and less than 20 laps:
    [ (#ofcarsinrace - finishing position) * (#oflaps/4) * 10 ] - [(#of contacts/4) *10] - [4 ^ ((invalid laps-1)/2) ]
    so lets say you finish 5th in a 15 car 10 lap race run off the track on three different laps and make contact with other cars 10 times: the rating you receive is 221

if you have a great race win a 20 lap 20 car race easily with only one invalid lap and a touch at the start you get 947 rating

and finally if you do terrible but still don't run off too much lets say you finish 2nd too last in a 15 car race with 15 laps and run off the road on 3 laps and have a couple of run ins with another driver you get 66 points
    now a driver who spends most laps off the track 12 of a 15 lap race in order to come 2nd of 18 drivers and uses other cars as breaks and gets 40 contacts he loses 1548 points
    feel free to correct me on my math

see how too many invalid laps reduce the rating considerably but otherwise you are you generally gain points this will encourage clean racing without discouraging close racing with light contact and also allows for a couple of mistakes/invalid laps without destroying your rating(warning i did the the math pretty quick off the top of my head so i hope i havent made a major error)

2. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I am actually a fan of the rating system. What I am not a fan of about iracings rating system is it is a no fault system where if someone wrecks you on purpose it is still your fault

3. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Well I think it'd be interesting to have a matchmaking system ala Dota 2:
    You can play on ranked and you can play on pubs and you can report and commend people.
    Maths and stuff for determining what rank you are I don't know, but it'd be nice to have a system that places you with equally skilled drivers. Even an iRacing system (where if you get rammed you get penalty points) works, cause if you keep driving clean, in the long run you'll preserve your rating while the wreckers will continue to go lower.
    Exploiting systems and rules it's a constant in human life but in my opinion it's better have them there versus not having at all and leave everything to a random ruffle

4. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I'm not really a fan of these driver license system. If i own the content (even if it's a high power race car) i want to race with it, regardless of a specific license level i need.
    The iRacing system has surely its advantages, but it more or less ends in endless grinding for points.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Players have to change their mind and there will be no need for any kind of a ranking system ;) If crashers will realize that there is no point in doing what they do this is the best what it can happen to any (sim) racing game. Simple but hard to achieve for them...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. Sparkyplug

Sparkyplug New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Is any1 having an issue being punted off track either a on purpose or b a lot?

Because I'm really not? I get tapped now and again but we all make mistakes

I made one today lol

7. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    like that will ever happen

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    this would only apply for servers with the system turned on you could still have a unranked option and player whatever you want with whoever you want.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    if you examine the math you will see this is like a iracing system where you get points removed for contact and invalid laps but unlike the iracing system the term [4 ^ ((invalid laps-1)/2)] basically says that you can have a couple of offs but if you continually run off you will get harshly penalized in a exponential fashion this keeps rammers and cutters from getting into the higher licence levels
    the 4 and 2 can be adjusted to determine how harsh the penalty (possibly being adjusted depending on licence level) generally speaking you shouldn't struggle to get into the top licences atall

10. marshma11ow8

marshma11ow8 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lol
    All you guys are complaining about the poor quality of drivers
    In Australia there are about 50 total people who play regularly
    95% of whom are never on multi

11. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    but not in iracing which has a in depth ranking system and good race scheduling
    if you want more ozzies and kiwis to play you need a more competitive system as that's just in our nature.

12. nickfox2003

nickfox2003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Please Please can we have something like mention or a race-craft or race adequate guide on does and don't please before going on multi-player as this is frustrating when no-one seems to know the rules for racing
    eg if overtake was done while going wide and gaining spot then they should give spot back.
    hitting people and giving place back or waiting for the person they knocked off.
    the list goes on.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GearGrinder

GearGrinder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    If the server just boots all the drivers that don't post a Q lap for the race, you'll get rid of 99% of the idiots who just want to play bumper cars

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  14. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    and two people actually get into the race because everyone else misses qualy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. GearGrinder

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Only if you joined the Q session with no time left to do a Q lap. So it would be an added bonus of deterring people from joining during qualifying and creating that time warp that's always screwing up my Q laps.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully that lag spike will be fixed in the upcoming patches but I don't think the "not enough time to do a quali lap" measure will discourage last-minute-joining wreckers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GearGrinder

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    At least they wouldn't be behind you on the grid.
    I've seen many good drivers using the "start in the back" strategy to avoid that turn1 mayhem. I do this every time at Nurnburg if the field is full of noobs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. lslarko

lslarko New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would agree that some kind of ranking system is needed as well as say unranked servers and races but on the same note it needs to be done in such a way that it doe's not fracture the community too much as a result.

as for the contact system something needs to be in place that measures the type of contact;

Being rear ended = minimal points loss (providing you did not brake check someone on a straight)
    Side to Side nudges and grinding = minimal to medium dependent on force (lets face it cockpit view & mid corner bumps happen)
    Rear ending = Medium to High dependent on force again

Maybe add zones to the circuit which also alters the values of these incidents i.e.

Green = Straights = Low penalty severity
    Yellow = (Very) Early braking zone, Mid Corners and Exits = Medium penalty severity
    Red = Braking Zones and Early Corner = High penalty severity

Just my 2 cents on the matter and I fully appreciate the coding side of things for that kind of implementation is most likely a 1000 times more complicated than the concept.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. CirKan

CirKan Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree on the need to implement a scoring system that brings together the pilots for their skill and safety.

Like many; what I dont like about iRacing is in addition to the price, the inability to play nothing if you do not pay the subscription.

The best option I think, is to leave the game as it is now, and implement championships with the scoring system we are talking about. Paying a little if necessary.

20. whaletail

whaletail New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And if everyone would just behave, there'd be no crime!

• Agree Agree x 1