Idear - clean racing points [cRP] - Shared Memory API

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by c3lix, Mar 27, 2016.

1. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I really would try to do this on my own, unfortunately I am not into coding with C++ or other system based coding languages. I am only used to web based coding sql/php. First I would need to know where to start, what tools/programs I need for that.

The idear is to create a tool that counts your driving skills, like in iRacing and saves it on a website.
    At the end of each session you can gain points for driving and the more points you gain the higher you level up in a class licensed system.
    You get negativ points for cutting the track, getting off track, crashing/damage/driving too slow (I don't know what is possible here).
    The tool shouldn't count practice sessions. Everything else it should count.

The use of this tool?
    1. Fun
    2. Compare your driving skills with others on a website
    3. Maybe for multiplayer, when u drive in a multiplayer game, there is a list with all drivers who use the tool and you can see their rating.

What do you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    In theory, I see the point. :)
    But....how can being penalize for being slow be fun? That would drive people away. Then you create an elitist attitude. I feel we should just approach slow drivers as multi-class racing and accept slow drivers (as they learn) and use our skill/racecraft to drive around them. If I can't drive around a slower car, then I need to go back to SP mode and stay off of MP mode.
    Even in professional motorsports people get lapped.

Instead of points or negative points. You could have the same thing just showing
    Laptime differentials
    Number of offtrack excursions (which doesn't tell the whole story - who forced you off?)
    Number of Collisions (who did you hit? Or did someone hit you?)

I saw some Aliens on a (supposedly public) server and wanted to learn from them....It's not a good feeling to be kicked off a server because you were too slow. It's not as if I was in the way during the practice session.

Which leads to another issue. If someone only wants "certain" drivers to join, then don't put the server in the public area. Don't even list the server. Just send invites privately to an unlisted server. Not - it's open for the public, but not really open to the public because of skin color OR....your in-game name (unless it's offensive or inappropriate) OR .....how fast you drive.
    Some guy named himself after a certain city (and some people have real names like that). Maybe I should change mine to Steven California. Otherwise, just change the terms of service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I am aware of the negative aspects. Overall it should be motivating, to drive better, cleaner and not a tool for server admins to kick players.
    I can't answer all your questions because I don't know what information the API shares.
    About the slow thing, it was just an idear, your point is legit too.
    Of course, getting -points because someone drives with full speed into you is a bad thing.
    Well maybe the "see the points from others in MP" is a bad idear.

4. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you. It looks like a great idea in theory and I wouldn't have any problem subscribing to it.
    I would love :) to see some type of rating system - have advocated it after being hit by someone going full speed without even trying to make the corner (repeatedly to other drivers as well).

Keep putting up those ideas for discussion. :) Probably with more opinions, we can formulate something that could be adopted in the future. Who knows.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Not a bad ideƩ at all but I do agree with Azfalt on all and I too think this is worth working on ;)

• Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  6. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    The server results does not have detailed data about collision, off track etc. So this at the moment can't be implemented, in shared memory there is more available but then you need to have a player on the track for collecting those in realtime.

You don't have to go the iRacing route though, RR needs a more open and forgiving online structure. The only real problem in online racing is "for fun" notorious wreckers. If they can filtered out then you do major step. Driving skills will diver and that should not be a problem to anyone. With the current small number of possible MP drivers on a given hour/day you don't have the luxury to make them unhappy with "penalty points".

I would like to see a setting in MP that a self aware lesser skilled driver can set an option like: "No damage to others" on a drive. So can you ease in a MP game without being afraid to "hurt" somebody else his/her game.

Further i think that rewards are more helpful to cleanup driving then a more negative approach (penalizing unwanted failures).

For my own servers i'm working a month now to implement more and more a controlled environment with instant online feedback. And for my feeling i'm just started, lot's of ideas are coming, some inspired by the community. So just keep them coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  7. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    It will be good to see something like Adaptive AI but for online racing. I mean you can choose servers with near the same driving skills racers as you. Points may be depended from your lap times and can be different for various tracks. For ex. for Nordschleife racers with +/- 1 min can be in the same group while for short tracks it can be only with +/- 1-2 sec per lap difference. For this reason i like idea with racing points.

8. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely!

I like Grids with different skillz and i want to join any server what i want.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  9. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    I like grids with different skills to, but not with so big difference like for ex. FRR2 at Monza - from ~1:30 to > 2:40 in GetReal.

And i agree, we don't need one more iRacing like sim

• Like Like x 1