Sort out the AI and RRE can be a great sim

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peevee88, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Peevee88

Peevee88 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Shame the AI is rubbish because RRE is getting there slowly but surely with very good looking tracks and excellent car choices...

Tried racing the new Formula Raceroom 2 and also the Audi LMP1 - with 24 AI opponents tried Adaptive and AI at 100% (far too slow and very stupid ) the AI at 120% (good lap times but still stupid) - useless to try an offline race in mould of rF2 or even GTR2 for that matter.

The RRE AI have little concept of racing line, brake far too early for too long, carry little speed through corners, get huge speed out of some corners, wobble around on track, appear to slow down for no reason, almost come to a standstill at certain apexes, make many mistakes like running wide on exits, missing braking points, go into single file when too many approach the corners, clueless how to avoid wrecks of other AI... I will add that this all happens randomly and unpredictably

Reminds me of total newbies doing arrive & drive rental karting...

This is across the classes - and I have noticed the AI in all classes have exact same problems at exact same points on the tracks I have tested them on - this needs to be fixed...

Until then this is a hot lap sim which can be fun with leaderboards etc, but this would be only the tip of the iceberg of racing game that has the content and potential to be a very entertaining racing sim and for serious simmers to.

If I was boss of RRE I would mandate that all future cars and tracks be put on ice. Put the A-Team devs hard at work on improving the AI to make it the best in simming. Then launch the improved AI as a Pro-Pack which you can sell as DLC for those who want proper sim AI and also give option to others not to buy it and stay with the current Arcade style AI.

Like this you have two portals for RRE - one for the majority that like Arcade style racing and one for the serious simming geeks (probably the large minority like me) who want less game and more sim. Just a dream...

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Today I also discovered something.

Do Pit-Stops with the Ai, you will always lose. Just lost 5 positions because my team is the slowest of all. The Ai only changes back tires or something super fast. They don't refuel and they don't change front tires.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    The game shines in multiplayer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Hm.. I'm always the fastest in pit stops because the Ai is relativly slow in entering and leaving the pit box.

You can say what you want about Assetto Corsa AI .... it's not clever, but it's predictable. Because they use exactly the same physics as the player does, you can follow Ai cars nose to tail around the track. And they are even capable of using slipstream and overtaking on straights. I'd like to see that in R3E too.
    For me the R3E Ai improved in many aspects since the last patch but in others it got worse. Now they are a mix of "kick the player of the road" and "to shy to overtake on straights."
    Another thing is this slipstream effect in R3E which bugs me all the time. It is far too big.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm and here is me enjoying the AI for the majority

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The AI has issues for sure but I think the OP is going a little over-the-top on this one.

Yes, I find the same. It's quite annoying actually. I know that whenever I stop I'm losing places/time on my opponents.

Pitstops in the ADAC GT Masters and DTM Experiences seem to be ok. The AI is probably following a proper rule set there.

Needs looking at.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Peevee88

Peevee88 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Will try this but good AI is important

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Peevee88

Peevee88 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I want to enjoy it too and change my opinion but can't sort it - what are your settings and what tracks you recommend?

9. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Curios how it shines, with all the join lag and the absence of people. You know how frustrating it is, when your game stops for full 1.5 seconds and you are in qualifying doing Nordschleife and wreck your car because of it? Like 9 minutes gone to hell? Fun.
    There is like one or two GT3 servers with more than 5 people, and these are only Nordschleife, because it's new, on it and only at prime time. I wonder where all the multiplayer fun is.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Multiplayer is not a viable option for many of us, sadly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I thought the AI in R3E was meant to be leagues ahead of the AI in Assetto Corsa, though? Was one of the reasons I buyed into the game...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    There seems to be a lot of R3E multiplayer club racing over at Race Department - could be worth checking out?

13. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    imo this update messed up AI badly, at least did for me. before the update it was very good when you found the proper track/car combination...

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Real sim geeks meet online :p
    AI is for Arcade....

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Fun is in the clubs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    totes agree next best ai to rf2 imo...
    think people actually expect actual human behaviour from their 150£ processor lol

try this in ac, go to any track and stop on the racing line either mid corner or on a straight. They will just line up behind you without passing lol.. Ac is a great driving experience, it fails at motorsport vo!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The AIs in both sims have come a very long way since Spring last year. The lead RR once had over AC regarding the AI, has become much smaller. The pace AC's AI runs at, is higher. In both sims, they sometimes still brake too early and run turns too slowly. In AC, the changes they do to physics and tyres, fully feed back into the AI's performance, since AC runs all AI cars with the full physics model like the car of the player: the AI physics are no simplified schemes like in many other driving sims. - There still is a certain vulnerability in AC that the AI forms up those infamous car-trains, as I call them. It just does not happen as often anymore.

I miss the little surprises the AI in RR once did, a year ago, before they smoothened the cornering behavior. I found those "events" most entertaining. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  18. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    The AI is great, except for pitstops. They seem to gain some positions over me, but in racing they're amazing..

-I only run GT3, TTS, DTM '92 and WTCC races though. Don't have experience with the other classes in AI races.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Spazo

Spazo Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I also think the AI was better before the patch...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    The Ai isn't even aware of other Ai cars now. Saw it counltess of times when they crashed each other in a corner with full speed.

• Agree Agree x 1