Auto Clutch Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hell-Fiend™, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hey Guys

I noticed that Auto Clutch doesn't really do anything On or Off you can still shift without a clutch. I know you can do that in real life but it needs to be precise in any other game if you have auto clutch off it will not shift until you use the clutch. Am i missing something here or this is how the game is designed.

2. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    If you use auto clutch off and shift the gearbox will eventually break down it take about 2-3 laps on track like Hockenheim.. That is if you are running get real mode and all damage on etc... Part from that personally I think the auto clutch more work like a TC than a clutch and that bugs me every time....

3. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    'Any other game'?

You can shift with auto clutch off, without engaging the clutch, in rFactor, Game Stock Car, rFactor 2, GTL, Assetto Corsa.......

In R3E, you will ruin your engine eventually. Especially on downshifts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    yea that was True however i actually realized few days ago that my clutch wasn't even assigned and I've playing for months like that and the gear box did not break and i play on Get Real with damage with Auto Clutch Off. It should be like any other game Auto Clutch Off. It doesn't Shift till you use a Clutch like how real cars work..

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    i know you can but it needs to precise you cant just just shift gears randomly like R3E. I have assetto Corsa and it doesnt work like R3E.

6. Ryan Callan

Ryan Callan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    You can shift without a clutch in real life, but like you say, it has to be precise.

Anyway, in R3E, your car breaks, so at least you can't do it for long. I know it breaks, because I've broken it :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Thing is cars in R3E that is sequential gearbox cars shouldn't have to use autocluth since that is part of how the gearbox work on those cars, you might need a signed clutch for the start on sequential cars but then it should be off and part of the engineering of how those gearboxes work IMO. The stick shift cars I know break down realy easy after a couple laps if you don't use the clutch downshiting, fast shift up the gears without clutch to keep turbo boost maxed out between gearshitfing, give that extra acceleration could be useful overtaking someone after a curve but not to be used every up shift then it will break eventualy but when done proper it work realy good. The down side is the gearbox can get damaged and break eventually either way, try doing a 30-60 minut race not using clutch and see how it goes ;) :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    yea your right regarding the sequential gear box. I usually play 10 to 15 mins a race so maybe that's why it is not breaking with me. yea am talking about the old cars like the DTM 92 and Group 5 which has a H pattern. Wouldn't be easier to actually grind the gears like Project cars and Assetto Corsa does it so it can teach you how to properly use the clutch instead doing 30 mins or 60 mins of gameplay till your gear box breaks that's my honest opinion

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't mind having a grinding sound and no shift of gear if done wrong in the H-shift pattern cars ( the older cars)
    When you upshift IRL on any race gearbox fast enough at the right moment and using no clutch it will change gear without a noise, but done to slow it will grind the gears. But since the game cannot measure how fast you put in a ger with a digital H-shifter plugged to the computer since there is no analog in a digital H-shifter the game only can tell the engine rpm and then refuse if it is wrong.
    So think implementing such physics to a sim game would be very hard without a analog H-shifter so there have to be some tolerance regarding the rpm when upshifting to simulate a proper gear shift from a missed one and still refuse a downshift if rpm is wrong.
    Yea 15 minute race could be why you haven't noticed it yet but I agree it should have been noticed right away if you muck up the gear shifting and cause damage to gearbox or engine ;)

Edit: especially if you're running get real, IMO I think the get real need to get a lot more real when it come to damages on cars over all ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  10. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean, The damage should be a bit more aggressive. I hope the devs look into this I've sent message to the Devs to read this forum hopefully we get some answers.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    H shifters hold down a button for a gear, so when you yank it out of gear the game does know this, and it also knows when you move it to the next gear. So it should be possible to measure this time and check it against the engine speed

• Like Like x 1
  12. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    @Robert Holm @Karsten Borchers and @Marko Hartikainen

Tagging them so they verify that I'm not talking bs here. What I know is that Robert implemented "Dogbox" transmission a few months back, which allows you to upshift without clutching. What I'm not 100% sure of is if it was made so that damage is applied if you don't lift throttle before upshifting. For that I hope they can chime in.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Thank you JF for you reply. Usually in other Sims if you don't clutch properly if Auto Clutch is Off. The gear doesn't engage it just stays on Neutral maybe that can be implemented in Raceroom.

14. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Real race cars though have dog box transmissions, which is why we got that in in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Hell-Fiend™

Hell-Fiend™ Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Make sense on Race Cars but for the classics like the DTM 92 and Group 5 shouldnt have that wouldn't you agree.

• Like Like x 1
  16. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  17. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I would really appreciate a damage multiplier.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

For you, DTM92 and GR5 are not Race car ?:confused:
    What do you need to call a car "Race car" ?
    Dog Box gearbox are precisely something you'll find in these cars. Back in the days you didn't have sequential shifters, and dog box was the more efficient gearbox (synchromesh gearbox is good for street car, but useless in a race car).

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    While I agree that these cars all have dogboxes which can be shifted without the clutch, they should require more accurate blips, lifts, and timing. If you do a lousy job of rev matching even a dogbox won't downshift. If the transmission is under significant load it won't upshift.

I just think the current modelling is a bit too forgiving

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1