The new adaptive AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paradox Agi, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I did some races today, in GT3 class with my beloved Audi R8. I usually start in the middle of the pack at 12th position, with 24 cars on the track and just race for fun in get real mode without damage. So, this is my setup. Then, after some races, I noticed the improvement in the AI. Opponent cars are now making mistakes, I can see them slip around and they sometimes drive totally horrible lines without driving bad in general. This is great. After these races, I thougt there must be an issue with the adaption because in the past I could not keep up at all once the AI was trained but this was not the case. They were competitive, I had to drive carefully to keep up, but I could do that. So, I deleted my game folder and reset the AI to it's default to test if there is something wrong. The first race they were really slow, as expected, but after that first race, they were as fast as I experienced first. I feel really comfortable with this new AI - It is challenging, but not frustrating any more. If this is the case not only in GT3 class, the AI can now be considered as almost perfect. This is exactly what I dreamed of since I used the adaption feature the first time, some years ago.

I wanted to thank you at sector3 for this amazingly improved adaptive AI.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I should give the adaptive AI a try again. How do you reset it?

3. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    ...\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Player1
    Delete aiadaptation.xml

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, well that's interesting. I saw this post and decided to try again, this time I went into documents/simbin, but I saw something a bit different, 2 raceroom install folders, 1 dated dec, and the other dated march. The folder dated March had nothing in the user data folder, where the Dec folder did. I deleted the ai file from the Dec install folder and the ai started to work more in line to the way they were and as paradox above describes.
    I am not sure if this may be the case for all, but it seems to be the case for me.
    I raced 2 tracks, first chang for 3 15 minute races, and than at zandvort for 2 races for 15 mins each. The ai is more in line to what they were before this update. I'll test more tomorrow nite after getting home from work.

Worth checking out.
    Hth
    Smile often

5. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    In case of doubt, backup and delete all the raceroom folders and set the game up from scratch. Then copy the replays, vehicle settings and custom steerings into the new folders. I had a second install folder myself at first and I had some weird issues with the adaptive AI after updates. All that could be solved by resetting the game folders. To be sure the new AI behaviour is not only in my head, I did that yesterday and it seemed to be stable.

6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Some enlightning words by S3 on this would be appreciated, whether they indeed changed something there, and what they think it does. Judging an AI is like judging FFB: a very subjective thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    So I never deleted my adaptive ai - does that mean I am not experiencing what is spoken of here ? Should I just delete it and start again ?

8. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    aiadaption.xml should be deleted every time the game is patched, cause devs might have worked on new AI behaviors and the game needs to write a clean file with new data

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    it would be good if R3E offered a simple way to kill old files. Almost every major updated suggested to delete some old files (car setups, controller...). An active reminder within the game for everyone, the first time the game is started after an update, would be better. Not sure how many people really read the recommendations, and with steam auto-updating, you don't really have to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    I'd love that. .zip or rename the old user folder and create a new one after a major update.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Wow :eek: Thanks as I never knew that or read it anywhere. Just assumed if anything needed deleting or updating the patch would have done it already. Will try it now.:)

12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I wonder how long it would take to zip my 200 replay files. ;)

Let me be Mr smartypants myself, just realized you said user folder, not documents, so, nvm, you win.

13. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Renaming then :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Look above, userdata folder could actually work, replays aren't in it.
    So if that would be an option, sure why not give it a try.

15. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Unless im mistaken, sure Christian will correct me but the adaption ai file is just laptimes for the ai to follow as a guide with no other information stored apart from track id, there is no pathfinding or anything so it should just be the case that the ai are a little faster than you relative to pre patch, im finding im a little slower on most tracks after the update so prepatch times now would make the ai a lot more competitive!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Hm, if its just lap times. Can we put in to this file real lap times from DTM for ex. and race again "real AI" ? :)

17. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Have a look through it, unless its changed from pre patch i would of thought so, good luck identifying your track tho :)

18. digitizer

digitizer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Maybe i backup my current file and begin with clear one to identify track. I don't need to race all the time with irl racers, no chance for me to be not at the last place at finish :)

19. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    Can't find aiadaptation.xml.
    R3E isn't in my SimBin folder because it is installed through Steam. And if I go into the Steam folder and the R3E folder there is no folder called "UserData" or "Player1". Can anyone help?