How much desk lip clearance is required to fit a G27/29 or TS300 base?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalogic, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I don't have much room to fit a wheel, so have been holding off for now (I've just been using a gamepad) and would probably only be able to use it mostly just at weekends, as the desk is used by my wife for work during most (though not all) weekday evenings, but I'm trying to see if it would be possible.

One of the problems is that, although the desk I have is quite large, there isn't much depth to the lip underneath the desk, as it has another plank of wood in the way.

The (wooden) desktop is about 20mm thick, but underneath there's only about 25mm (1 inch) of usable depth, unless I clamp onto the bottom of the plank that's blocking it, which extends to about 11cm (4.5 inch) under the desk (including the thickness of the desk itself). The bottom of the plank underneath is itself only about 20mm thick.

I've tried to take some pictures to show what I mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would this be enough space to clamp on a G27/29/920 or Thrustmaster TS300? Ideally would like to clamp on a gear shifter too...

I guess another alternative would be to get something like a Wheelstand Pro, though am not sure if I'd be too far from the desk then - am currently just using a laptop, I might have room for a single 24" screen, but no larger. Does anyone have any experience of using one of these? Thanks

BTW The space I have available isn't really suited to a Playseat Challenge or similar.

2. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I guess you don't want to use screws, right? That could solve your problem in either wheel.
    Logitech needs at least 35 mm. I could make some tests using only 25 to see if it stays stable.
    Thrustmaster... just impossible. Very good but quite larger clamp.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    That's definitely a non-starter...

Nice idea, but I'm not so sure, looks like it would take up even more space than the Wheel Stand!

4. EsxPaul

EsxPaul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I just had a measure up on my G29 and you would need a horizontal desk lip of 33mm to fully engage the 2 clamps.

The clamps don't open up very far in the downward direction either so you wouldn't get anywhere near enough clearance to get it over "the plank that's blocking it".

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Partially disassemble the desk, remove the plank and cut 2 inch square (ish) slots in it to allow the bottom jaws of the clamps to slide through, then the same for the shifter (after measuring up carefully of course). Put it all back together and bish bosh. The missus will never know

6. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I too was living in a small house. And the wife was not into holes in her desk. Being professional carpenter, my first solution was to install a small sliding keyboard shelf on the desk that I could mount the wheel and shifter onto. Later when my wife claimed that as well, I permintly mounted them on a small collapsible table. That folded up nicely and slid in next to the desk. I had to use some cheap Walmart Dumbbells to weight it down. But they hid Under the cabinet. If you look closely you can see where the peddles stood on their side in the corner under the desk. Just an idea.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if the T300 / TX clamps would fit? It looks like they open up larger