LOGITECH G29 / G920 £180 (£120 off) PC World

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Smith, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    your more likely to sell the g29 afterwards if any of the reviews are to be believed

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I didn't get on with it coming from the Thrustmaster Tx, too notchy and noisey for my liking. Returned it and splashed out on a TX500RS instead! So will defo trade in the Tx after all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. joyster

joyster New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They're GBP159.99 now...

5. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    The link is now showing as £299.99 :(

6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    nice piece of kit but no way worth £299

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. P Davies

P Davies Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of having all the buttons on the wheel itself, especially as don't know that I'll have room for a seperate shifter, and prefer the design compared to the G29, though the lack of Rev LEDs is sad), but would a new/ nearly new G27 for about £200 or so be a better buy?

Is the progressive brake spring mod for the G27 readily available in the UK?

9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
  10. P Davies

P Davies Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I've got leo bodnar adapters,So I am still using my Logitech shifter and my modded G25 pedals.

11. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Would the Fanatec pedals fit the Wheelstand Pro that is meant for the TS300?

Also, reliability-wise, how does the TS300 compare to the G27?

12. P Davies

P Davies Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I don't know about the fanatec pedals,I have just changed to the Thrustmaster from my G25,The Logitech G's are super reliable my G25 is 10 years old and still working after 1000's of hours of hard use.The T300 has yet to prove itself as I've only had it 2 Days.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, understood, would be interested to hear how to get on with it over the next few weeks, and whether you find it a big improvement over the G25 or not. I'm not too bothered about the pedal quality of T300s, as there are other options (e.g. there's the T300 Ferrari Integral Racing Wheel Alcantara Edition which comes with the better T3PA pedals, which include a clutch and a conical rubber brake mod, though I've read these still don't necessarily have as good a feel as the Logitech pedals, and I actually prefer the smaller "normal" Ferrari GTE wheel, or the leather 28 GT version, as I have quite small hands and I understand that the paddle shifters can be quite hard to reach on the larger Alcantara rim), also the Thrustmaster pedal adaptor I understand allows the use of 3rd party pedals, such as the Fanatec CSR pedals, which also have an inversion kit available...

I guess what I really want is the TS300 base and my own choice of wheel rim and pedals, though that would work out more expensive than buying a package...

14. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ^
    This

I bought a G29 mid February because, well, I wanted something new :rolleyes: It's not a bad wheel, but it feels really notchy and clunky because of the gear-driven ffb, I did like having all those buttons on the wheel and the rev LEDs though. And the new Logitech Gaming Software for this wheel is bad, next to useless, you can't even set damper and spring strenght with it anymore (unless you start manually editing the manifest.xml file, which I did but there was no way of checking if it actually worked). If you thought the Profiler for the G25/G27 was bad, well think again...

About a month ago I came across a hardly used, near mint Thrustmaster T500RS and the price was just to sweet to pass up on. I bought it and haven't looked back since: the T500 is just sooo much better than the G29, much more precise, way better and smoother ffb, and even when you buy one new it's not that much more expensive than a new G29. Don't know anything about the T300, but I can definitely recommend the T500.

My G29 is now sitting in it's box next to my old G25, my even older DFP and my ancient Momo

15. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Actually the logi software update has gone some way to fixing the issues with the g29 and g920. So for the discount price they are decent wheels the are good value, if a little old fashioned and clunky. Mine works very well

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I think the Thrustmaster T300 is the wheel/base I want to go for, but are the Logitech G27 pedals better than the Thrustmaster T3PA ones? If so, might see if I could pick up a decent secondhand set of G27 pedals and go for the cheaper of the T300 packages. Thanks!

17. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
  18. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Not sure which of both pedal sets is better than the other as I never had a G27 (but I assume the pedals are the same as on the G29?) and the T500RS comes with the T3PA Pro pedals, not the standard T3PA ones. The only reasons why I prefer the T3PA Pro's is because you can mount 'em GT style (hanging, but you can't do that with the T3PA's without some serious modding), because they stay at their full resolution when plugged into the wheel (with the Logi's you'll need a stand-alone adaptor like Leo Bodnar's to achieve this) and you can very easily mod the brake pedal with a conical rubber (you can get these from various hardware resellers at much cheaper prices than a certain "official" brake mod...but if I'm not mistaken, the standard T3PA's have that kind of conical rubber included). The out-of-the-box feel of the G29 pedals wasn't bad at all though, I quite liked them actually.

But honestly, if your heart is set on the T300, why not go with the Thrustmaster pedals ? Second-hand G27 pedals might be cheaper, but you never know what condition the potentiometers are in and just how much wear & tear they already suffered. Just my 2c, the choice is yours of course.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  19. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I'm not so keen on the T3PA Pro pedals because they look like they have a lot of extra bulk (the thing at the back), and I have very limited space for both using them and storing them when not in use (will be using a Wheel Stand Pro most likely)

20. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Yes, they are pretty bulky, and heavy too ;) But in your case, I meant: why not go with the T300 and the standard T3PA pedals ?