Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system in R3E ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by le_poilu, May 4, 2016.

?

Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system

1. yes, sign me in !

27 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No, MP should remain free

137 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. Alx^

Alx^ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    R3E costs enough already. If they added online ratings and schedules and what not, that would surely bring in new racers who would then start buying stuff from the store anyway. They/we would finally have a viable mp alternative to iracing that doesn't require us selling our internal organs to pay for it. Just the online rating alone, attached to your account whether you like it or not, would surely entice new players to try it out?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Don't get me wrong.
    Only talking about the money the editor give to the developers to do the things they have to.
    My point is not about how much Raceroom AG is making, it's about how many they give to S3S and what they ask them to do with ;)
    S3S will only be able to add more staff if they get more money from the investor/editor/partners, that's all.

3. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Spare the money for licencing real life series for online events and rather invest it into game features like a working flag system, a safety car or single player multiclass. I dare to say more people would benefit from this. For features like these I would even pay - 249 vRP for flagsystem, 249 vRP for a Safetycar etc - they'd have my money right away.

No idea how iRacing does it or what they do at all. I do't have it, as their pricing model scared me off.
    Still you don't get my point - how do 1000 people race a championship with a grid of say 30 cars? One of your initial statements was, that the good players are now split between different leagues. In your model they would not race against each other either, as they would be split into x sub-races.

4. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    So the fact that I've spent around 4x as much on R3E than I have on Assetto Corsa doesn't help Raceroom/Sector3 enough and you want me to throw more money at the game?

It doesn't work that way. R3E has to offer good value in the market space it operates in. You can't ask the consumer to pay more in order for Sector3 to hire more staff. That's a staffing issue for Raceroom to sort out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Zinker73

Zinker73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I think an iracing like pay model would fragment the relatively small active mp base between "payed" and "free" servers to a point that there is no point of using the "free" anymore. I'm pretty new to this sim, just started in march this year and already payed alot of money for like 95% of the available content. So far i'm enjoying this sim very much, the tracks, the cars and the classes and of course the MP ... even if it has it's "limitations". To me the "price" is just right for the quality delivered. Also knowing that there is a small but very dedicated developer team providing patches,features and new content regulary ,i'm pretty sure this sim will get better and better. I think a far more constructive way than an iracing like pay model, to have a better and "cleaner" MP, would be something like Tarik is suggesting in this thread ...

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/request-mp-dedicated-server-features.5285/

Plus i still think more smaller features that would promote more community would help this sim and it's MP alot ... like better chat throughout the whole of the sessions and screens that you go through in a MP race. A community TS for registered S3 forum members would be another great thing, IMHO. Basically everything that gives server owners more control and everything that strengthens the community would be great ... don't think a "pay wall" would be very helpful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Well, it's like any other sport on earth.
    How many soccer team to play the world cup final ? Only Two .. how many at the start of the world cup ? 32 (maybe more, I don't know). How many to try to qualify to the world cup ? Lot more. Same for the Euro-league, and so on...
    As for the Tennis: How many payer registered for the ATP ? hundreds, but there's only two playing against each other in the final at Rolland Garros.
    And, contrarily as what you say: they all play the same" league", the same rules, even if they don't fight against each other directly etc ...
    Same rules, same league, same "place" for everyone .... this is what I meant.
    Today if you want clean races in R3E: either you're lucky on the public server, either you need to find a league with private race. And honestly it's a mess: each league at it's own rules, it's own series, it's own schedule, it's own board to subscribe and follow, it's all dispatched and because there's not enough player at all in R3E at this time there's no league that can argue to have enough players so you can be dedicated to this one and only.

Today it's a fu##ing pain is the ass if you're a little bit dedicated to play R3E MP, and it makes me sad because Raceroom has the real potential to give all of this to the players, being the "european iracing". But I don't see them taking this route. I would be fine if they were able to give it to us for free.. but I'm not sure they'll have the partners/investors pushing them toward that. Such kind of service is not free to run: you need staff dedicated to it, you need server running rock-solid H24, etc ..

7. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

You mixe developing the game and provide a service to the players.
    AFAIK: Kunos doesn't provide any online service, and it's something that players are asking for.. so much that they are people trying to do it like SimRacing System (for free, but it's a mess to even get registred!)

And to be honest: Look around: how many sim racing game provide a solide integrated MP system that is able to host races for thousands of players ? not many.. and how many are free ? not a single one .. period.

8. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Well I guess I am too motorsport oriented then for your championship model. No matter which series, be it F1, DTM, Nascar, WTCC or whatsoever start with a fixed number of drivers. And ideally the same drivers end the season as well. If I wanted to drive an online season, I would want to fight against the same drivers in every race just like in reality.
    And who says that all the private leagues would go away? Will you prohibit them?

9. Zinker73

Zinker73 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    How is playing MP in R3E being a pain in the ass ? Either you have a lot of bad luck with the MP Servers you choose to play on or you are expecting way too much from a bunch of random people that happen to meet on a server to race. There is enough organized little leagues out there to choose from, it's just up to you to choose one and make a commitment. I can't really see the problem with that.

And about the examples you give like world cups and other competitive sport events that let only the best participate. Good luck with explaining that to the "silent majority" that would pay so that others can enjoy the sim. Not going to work ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Not me :confused: . .seriously did you read my posts or not (start with the first one here.. again)

11. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Me neither. And if he doesn't like them, he could still start his own series.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Well, I myself enjoy it very much. But I'm sick to have to find leagues, or having to select a public server between one with almost nobody on it, or one with popular combo on with i'm pretty sur i'll met "bad drivers" that can ruin the race of half the grid.

What are you talking about ? :confused:
    Don't you really get the point about doing "championship" to qualify people ? Going from hundreds of player, and finish with one final race between the best of all ?
    Just like it was for the DTM winter cup here ...

13. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Where does the money we pay for content right now go?
    Where do you think any extra earned from this pie in the sky idea (my opinion) would go.
    Same place it currently is, and if its not being allocated to provide adequate staffing levels then someone should be screaming at the boss man, you know, we cant cope with this workload n shit we need help!
    Age old adage, spend money to make money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  14. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Oh yeah, adding one more, with fewer people.. so I can race with only myself.. so much a great idea.
    You know what: I already did it. I can host my own dedicated server, I have all what it take for it.
    I proposed a little league around the M1 Procar... it was very fun to make a race with ..... 3 other people.. yeah, really fun ;)

15. Don Rudi

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I did read them and I honestly admire your dedication to this topic
    I just do not agree. Somebody else called it elitism. And that is the smell it has - the vast majority paying for a special feature used by a small minority.
    And seriously - "races for thousands of players"? Where do you want to find these racers? Especially as they have to meet your high standards.

16. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

17. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't it be better to separate players by divisions? so the best go for division 1, the next to division 2 and so on? that way everybody gets to race. That's what i was thinking with a system like this.

18. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I am sorry to say as I usually do straight on and no rose petals on the comment...

Sorry... But what the hell are you smoking??
    Do you have a clue how things work, money do not solve everything ok, shore more money to s3s would eventually give more staff eventualy... that is if that fit into their planes and what they want to do with 3RE which is all their project not ours, I think discussion here is going like there is a democracy voting on what's going to happen. Really pointless IMO. Changes to what you are talking about staff more money yada yada,,, It would not happen over night anyways so your question and sugestions and comparison with (I rob you blind racing) in my opinion haven't been well researched or thought through.

So this is a absolute total NO NEVER! R3E is going the right way as it is and they are doing a great jobb geting there!
    This is a race sim game, if you do not like it as it is, find another simple as that... or make your own servers if the one provided is not good enough ;) There is as said (I rob you blind racing)
    Happy racing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    You have the resource, you have the medium, do it for yourself, promote yourself, your league, the elite league, get a site up, promote the shit out of it advertise as an elite league aiming for elite drivers, whatever you do leave raceroom out of the billing, it bills me enough as it is :)

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Where's the elitism when it only cam to paye a service ?
    So for you all the iracing player are the "elite" ?
    All the XBox Live player are the "elite" ?

You paye for a service you think it's worth the price for what you're looking for, or not. It's not about being an elit or something like that.
    If you're dedicated to play online via a dedicated service, why not paying for it ? It's not being elitist at all..

Ask iracing how many active players they have.
    Ask Turn10 how many they have on Forza, on the Xbox live
    You really think that sim racing is only for twenty people ?