Replay immersion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bogani, Mar 30, 2015.

1. bogani

bogani New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

In my opinion the replays can improve quite a bit. As of now, there is way too many floating cameras. I want the replay to feel authentic with realistic camera shots when spectating.

Just my two cents :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for bringing it up. What I really don`t like are all kind of long distance cameras (like Helicams) where the cars appear like toys. I prefer "Hotlap"-cams or those shooting from a distance but with extreme Zoom....just love to see the cars moving with best detail possible. Also edited nearly every cam when getting a newly modded track for GTR 2. Its not easy to find a good mix of close ups and distant shots...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Maybe slightly OT but I seriously hope we'll be getting better free cam controls to capture footage the way we like.. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Even more off-topic but I'd like a proper photo mode similar to Gran Turismo's i.e. options to set shutter speed, aperture, exposure etc. I used to enjoy watching replays and taking screenshots in that game, more than the racing you could say!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Besides making the sounds for R3E, I'm also creating the TV cams and I must say that it's hard to find a compromise that will please everyone. That's why I usually create one "real life" cams set and then I add a few alternative (and a bit more "creative") cameras for each corner.

While capturing the action in the most dramatic way possible is the first priority, I also intend to show the cars and the tracks on their best angles , and of course provide the best audio experience, which explains some of the distant cameras.

For sure, there are many features that could enhance the replays, the cameras types and their flexibility for exemple, but in my opinion what would improve them the most is the addition of the depth of field. which would also greatly boost the screenshots. And this is something we definitely want to look at in a not too far future ;)

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  6. Leemz

Leemz Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I agree, for me, half the fun of driving racing sims is sitting back and watching the replay and taking screenshots.

I know it's impossible to please everyone with a single set of cameras and there is usually more than one camera option but it'd be great if there were the freedom to really position the cameras to your liking and save them (as in iRacing via the Ctrl+F12 key combo).

I'm not a fan of the floating cameras but there are times when they're ok. However, I prefer more realistic cameras like you'd see during a televised broadcast.

7. Leemz

Leemz Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I would like the replay to be available for test drives. When I test drive a car before buying it, I'd like to get a good look at it from the outside. Since I enjoy watching the replays as much as I enjoy the actual driving, I'd really appreciate the replay cam being available during test drives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    First of all ...... i like that we have at least 2 different TV camera sets, so that not every lap looks the same (like in Race07 or pCARS).
    I agree that too many floating cameras makes it look a little bit unrealistic, and for some of us it's an immersion breaker. Otherwise some racers like floating action cams. Everybody has its own likings.;)

I'd like to see a "hotlap camera set" which is focussed and zoomed on your car, and also a "broadcast camera set" with a much wider FOV focussed on more cars than just only one. The broadcast set would be useful for leagues, which want to livestream their races on the net. Optimally with an "director button", that automatically switches to the cars which are in battle or near to each other. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bogani

bogani New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. In a perfect world I would love to test the car out on any track I own. I'm not a fan of the test track.

10. bogani

bogani New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    As of now, it seems to be a compromise between broadcast style and alternative style. Why can't there be one camera set for broadcast like footage, and one more alternative?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Makes sense. Maybe have options for broadcast cams/'arcade' cams/mixed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    I know there are some plans for broadcast features but I can't tell more about it now.
    What I know is that the game currently doesn't support multiple cameras sets, which forces to a mix of classic TV and alternative cams.

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. bogani

bogani New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I really apreciate the excellent communication from the devs on the forum. It's great to see!

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I like the replays as they are. The director mode is very nice, some of the dramatic perspectives add even more spice to the soup.