Is this going to work as a minimum viable racing setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalogic, May 16, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I've been playing R3E on and off for the past few months using just a gamepad (originally an XBox One Elite controller, now an XBox 360 controller, as at least that has slip vibration) and my laptop's built-in 15.6" screen. R3E is "usable" with this, but have come to the realisation that to really get the proper enjoyment and experience out of the sim I'm going to need to get a wheel and a bigger screen. I've only held off for this long as the available space I have to use for sim racing is very limited - a small office room that during weekdays (not evenings) is used by my wife.

The desk I have is reasonably large, but a) isn't suitable for attaching a wheel to directly (due to its design, which has a big lip underneath), and this wouldn't be practical anyway, as I'd have to keep clamping and unclamp the wheel so that my wife can use the desk and b) I can't have the whole desk dominated by a very large monitor, partly because both myself and my wife need to have space for spreading out work stuff on the desk, but also because my wife is concerned a large monitor will block much of the view out of the window in front of the desk, which she appreciates when working.

So... given these restrictions, am wondering whether this would be a practical minimum viable setup:

a) On my desk a 24" 16:9 1080 monitor, perhaps a Benq XL2430T (my laptop's video output supports refresh rates of up to 144Hz, but not G-Sync), possibly mounted to a swivel arm, so that it can be moved forwards/backwards more easily. Not sure I want to go over 1080p as my GPU may struggle (it's a mobile Nvidia 970M), if not with R3E, then with other games.

b) Wheel mounted to a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2 - should be able to fit the pedals under the desk, but the wheel base will obviously be in front of the desk, so I would probably need to move the monitor forward when racing

c) A wheel and pedals! The wheel I'm currently considering is the Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition package that includes the T3PA pedals and Leather 28 GT rim (which I prefer to the Alcantara one) and looks fantastic (apart from some reliability concerns), either that or the Logitech G920, though this isn't fully supported by R3E yet (though when I asked, S3 said it will be soon). I'm aware the TX is probably a better system, though the G920 is available for less than £180 currently, which is £120 less than the RRP, the base is also much more compact that the TX base, which might be an advantage in my situation, though I've read that it's noisier?

d) An ordinary office chair with the castors replaced with these, to stop movement when sat on.

At a later date I would probably like to add a manual shifter, but will probably do without initially.

Does this sound like a usable minimum viable setup for serious racing, given my space limitations? Can you see any problems with this (e.g. using a Wheel Stand Pro in front of a desk)? Thanks!

2. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The g920 has a problem with automatic turning to the right side currently in R3E. As long as this is not fixed it light be completely useless in the game. Better go for a g29 instead.

3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I'm not keen on the G29, looks too much like a toy and I'd prefer XBox One compatibility to PS4. I think when S3 officially support the G920 (which they might do soon, seeing as there's been a recent firmware update for the G920) this will be fixed. I'm more leaning to the TX anyway, though - from all I've read it sounds like a better wheel and R3E already fully supports this.

4. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes... I also prefer the g920 over the g29 because of it's design. In the end the tx/ts300 are better than all these Logitech wheels after everything I read about them. I just wanted to warn you because I would be frustrated buying a wheel that does not work...

5. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I appreciate the warning about possible problems with the G920

6. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Stopping movement on chair can also be achieved by putting a plank or so behind it, and laying something between plank and wall. Rest sounds reasonable, t300 user here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Yepp. That'll do. I'd recommend an EDTracker, Trackhat or some other kind of headtracking on a single screen setup, really increases immersion and gives more ( much needed ) awereness on track.

And having made the jump from a G27 to a T300, go with the thrustmaster. Once you start noticing that Logitech deadzone it'll bother you to no end. With the T300 you're almost somewhat modular and get some different rims if you find yourself getting really into openwheelers etc.

• Like Like x 1