Understanding The AI.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gopher04, May 17, 2016.

1. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to have some understanding of the AI in R3E, so going by some testing I was doing at Spa, I'm guessing it's not so much the track which determines the overall speed & ability of the cars, it's more to do with each class of vehicle, which seems to have it's own specific set of instructions as such, reason I just wanted to have it sort of clarified is, lets take 4 examples at Spa, the new F4/P1/P2 are extremely fast on this track, and pretty much every track come to think of it, where as the GT3's cars are bad arse slow, we're talking adaptive AI here, but then if you use the manual settings for AI, just to show you the big difference, I have to lower that to anywhere between 90/95% for the F4/P1/P2 classes, where as the GT3's I have to raise that to 110/112%...that's a big difference, should we really have to make that amount of change depending what class we want to have fun in??

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I'm wondering if this is a high/low downforce thing? I play mainly GTs and WTCC and both at well over 100% but you're right that the P cars, DTMs and 'formula' ones require a lower value for me too. Previously I'd put it down to being poor at managing downforce myself, but maybe it's more to do with how the AI struggle using mechanical grip in the current version.

3. ClayytonBR

ClayytonBR New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The problem is that the current AI is a mess. Don´t try to understand it, waste of time. Wait till they fix it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Do a better job yourself or let us discuss it please.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I recently found the AI using the Formula Junior to be rather weird in it's braking points as well as virtually ignoring me going for the ideal race line when I was wheel to wheel racing it at Mid Ohio.

Did a season of DTM 2015 and apart from the AI slamming into me without regard as I had the inside line and thus had cut off the pitlane ( costing me a drive-through penalty, burn in eternal fire Computer Da Costa. :mad: ) I felt the AI was fine. This is probably no doubt in part because I actually bothered qualifying often getting pole rather then the Formula Junior Race where I started last and treated it as an overtake challenge.

These anecdotes do not feature adaptive AI by the way as I tried that in the Formula Junior once and just gave up as the AI would drive more like a Linebacker on wheels then a racedriver. It's a two way street of course and I'll freely admit to driving dirtier/more aggressive against the AI but recently the tables have turned and the AI races like it was in the iRacing rookies.

Edit: Having to change 15-20% is a bit much I agree Gopher but at least for me there's definitely classes I do better in.

6. ClayytonBR

ClayytonBR New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, let´s wait "them" do a better job, and then we discuss it. The rest is waste of time, and money.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The whole forum is a waste of time using that logic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    But that would mean I should be working... I really should be working.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    The only real issue with the AI that I have is that there doesn't seem to be any accident avoidance
    Built into the programing.
    When I raise questions about the ramming from behind that seems to happen a lot.
    I've been told look at the replay your likely to slow.
    Fast, slow, on the racing line or off, it shouldn't matter, the AI should know I'm there and go around or slow down.
    The idea of avoidable contact should be a primary rule for AI just as it is for us.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I disagree partly - consider the scenario where I just hopped in an F1 car and started the race with a bunch of pro drivers. I would be braking at all the wrong places and likely causing accidents. I did this alot when just starting sim racing. The real and/or online drivers have a level of trust that the car in front is going to brake at a certain point. If someone slams on the brakes 40 meters early out of the blue, there a good chance they will get rear ended by a real driver. What i mean is, what makes cars able to race so close at 180mph is the predictability of their behavior. Once someone goes way outside that box of expected maneuvers on the track, accidents will happen.

So i don't think it's reasonable to expect the AI to avoid my car no matter what I do. Sometimes when someone rear ends me it IS my fault because i might be braking way too early for a certain corner, where the guy racing 1 meter behind me is still at full throttle and cannot react to braking in time.

11. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I do understand the principles of racing.
    I'm not talking 2 feet on the binders down the main straight.
    I have to lift when the bot in front of me gets squirrely happens all the time.
    I never said no matter what I do, rather no matter where I am, they should be aware of it.

12. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ... the behavior of opponent cars in practice mode is totally strange, they suddenly brake, driving as they are drunk and then accelerating like hell again. They also push you away when you are next to them. So in practice mode there is no adaptive AI I guess. anyway

13. Spazo

Spazo Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Since the patch that allowed bigger grid, AI is a mess. They had to change the AI to allow that.

They are sliding in each corner, not following a good race line, bracking in the grass and losing control, etc... Before that patch, the AI was one of the best

I wish the next patch will fix this.. As I'm mostly racing offline

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016