AI too linear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bee, May 12, 2016.

1. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Im half way through watching the amazing Blancpain Sprint race at Brands Hatch and suddenly i know what i miss in R3E.
    Racing the AI is too linear. When qualifying is done, AI behave according to their qualifying time. There is no AI car that have found the golden key between qualify and the race. Once im racing there is no pressure from behind at all. I only focus on the road ahead.
    It would be nice to take a margin on the AI when done qualifying so there is actually a change that some(!) AI cars perfome better than in qualifying and you must actually defend your position creating a train of cars.
    You could say: set the difficulty level at a higher rate. Well, that is not what i mean as by than all AI cars would be X percent faster. Am i making sense?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  2. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I would agree with that. The AI needs to be more dynamic.

Another example of 'linearity' is how the AI generally set their fastest qualifying time on the first hot lap (and they all rush out of the pits at the start of the session!). Subsequent laps are rarely faster so there's very little movement in the qualifying positions after each car has completed a flying lap. This static behaviour continues into the race.

The AI in R3E is decent but I think 'linear' is a good way to describe it at present. Needs more variance in driver behaviour, consistency and strategy with a sprinkling of randomness on top (mistakes, crashes, failures and DNFs).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Totally agree, they should also try to attack you aggressively to overtake.
    At the moment they just seem to be absolutely robotic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    AI is general doesn't seem to be in a good place right now or I'm racing the wrong cars. It's worse then racing public servers at the moment with weird braking points and aggressive turn ins. Probably not the popular opinion but at this point I'd rather go back to the smaller grids if I could get the old AI back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ClayytonBR

ClayytonBR New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I´ve been trying to improve my adaptive AI. The results? Better races, but still no pressure from behind. It´s been working like this: 1st race, AI is way slower than me. 2nd race they get to the point, very nice battles but only with the cars ahead. 3rd race, AI extremely fast, impossible to catch, even though cars behind don´t dare to overtake me. What I feel is that there´s some kind of limit that AI has to keep from my car and that must be something they changed to prevent crashes. Well, we don´t have crashes now, but at what cost....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I guess AI is the hardest part to develop. Would it not be possible to develop AI based on good solid MP races? Im mean look at Iracing. They must have heaps of racing data on their servers. Would it not be possible to use this data for a very realistic AI?
    But...im afraid S3 has to use data that is part of the lisence for developing cars. No manufacturer will be happy to see their car perfome less good (instead of using the word "bad"), in comparison to their counterparts. I have given R3E another huge boost the last few weeks but i must admit that AMS or rF2, despite their terrible sounds, is being a very warm welcome when it comes down to racing the AI (including flags...hint...hint;))

7. Dan84

Dan84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I think the AI in Raceroom is the great. It's the most challenging AI I've come across. To say its linear is just wrong.

Give Assetto Corsa a try. That title's AI is truly linear. Its a shame because its such a good looking sim!

8. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    That's what Forza 5 and 6 do: their "drivatar" AI would have racing behaviour drawn from the whole player base, and you'd be matched up against AI behaviours with appropriate skill levels IIRC. I haven't played those games, and it seems good in theory but I've never heard anything positive about it.

9. Richard255

Richard255 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The AI in Forza 6 is about the best i've used,but its still not great,and i've really had enough of Forza,full stop..
    I love RaceRoom but i have to say i really don't like how the AI is in the game,but it won't stop me playing it though.