Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system in R3E ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by le_poilu, May 4, 2016.

?

Would you pay un monthly fee for a "iracing like" MP system

1. yes, sign me in !

27 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No, MP should remain free

137 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I would agree to pay for a serious MP in R3E, with safe driving enforced, flag rules etc. The reason I am not on iRacing - not interested in their content. R3E has great content, and if game gets deeper in terms of race simulation, and turns this platform into iRacing like MP, I'd pay. But, I am not sure if game itself is ready to become such a platform, at the moment.

2. Marc Copa

Marc Copa Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    why you ask for monthley fee, the Multiplayer in RRE is catastrophe (lags, join lags etc....)
    first work for this then i will think about this :(

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    It's worth noting you can do that now if you either 1) Join a session with a combination you want or 2) setup your own server with the combination you want.

What I stated earlier still stands true, the things that are popular now would still be just as popular in an iRacing-like system and the things that are unpopular would still be mostly empty. Absolutely nothing about a race-per-hour on pre-decided combination fixes the lack of people or lack of variety in what people want to race.

4. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Well, guess what? I tried both of these yesterday and they did not work. And no, I did not stay for 5 minutes on the server. I did the whole practice, qual and race, twice by myself! It was the FRJ Cup at Spielberg...quite a fun combo.

One cannot expect to have people to join him just because he/she is online on track. People lead different lives with different timelines and to bring them together there needs to be some kind of communication.

So what I could have done is made myself "visible" on a portal before I left from work...for others to see while in their car stuck in traffic eager to get to home to race :)

Then when I get on the server at 6pm, there is a slight chance some other souls on the other side of the planet saw my "vote" to race at 6pm and join :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    What you list here is a different system from what iRacing has in a few key, and good, ways. Something where you could see a list of potential race combinations with 'desired' times along with the interest in those would be a wonderful system. If this kind of hybrid is what you were talking about in the first place I'd be all for that.

Whereas the current iRacing system creates a completely inflexible situation where you either race the popular stuff or don't race at all, the idea you are describing would at least offer ways to plan races ahead of time.

However, the second part of my post, that you did not quote, yet again remains true. The smaller the player base is, the less likely the non-'standard' combinations are to actually have enough users to actually happen. I agree that the Formula Jr is a fun car and around Spielberg is tons of fun, but even with a 'hybrid' system of being able to show interest in future events there would still be much more interest for the already popular series and combinations.

Imagine a scenario where this system exists and there are 4 future events available going off at 60 minute intervals with 2 overlapping at a time. So Event A goes at 6:00, Event B at 7:00 both with the same combination. Alongside those you have Event C at 6:00 and Event D at 7:00 with a different combination. If Event A/B is DTM at Hockenheim and Event C/D is FRJ at Spielberg, you'd still have a majority of people signing up and racing in the DTM event over the FRJ. Now extrapolate that scenario out for 20 overlapping event times and schedules and you can see how you end up with a similar problem that you have now. You might also then just sort the upcoming series by which of the planned sessions have the most people signed up, but then you simply have what we already have with the dedicated servers and the most popular stuff trending towards the top as it already does.

I want you to understand I am not trying to crush your hopes or your wishes, but it's worth realistically looking at the root of where this problem is and what these proposed solutions would likely do when actually implemented. There is no perfect solution one way or the other, which is why none of the racing games have gotten 100% of the market, but it's also always worth speaking about and discussing the different ideas. I will say I think a hybrid style system where you can sign up for a potential combination/session in advance to show your interest in that combination/session would be a really nice feature, but I don't think it would solve the issue you currently are experiencing.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  6. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm talking about a unique system where everything is driven by the users and trends/statistics.

But I do agree, there will always be a problem where there arent enough drivers to race at the same time and wanting the same combo unless there are hundreds of users wanting to race at the same time.

Guess we need to try and see if it might work :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    With a good infrastructure like Iracings sure I'd pay, heck I'd give R3E the edge then seeing as you could unsub for a month and still run some SP races.

8. rancer890

rancer890 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was one of the 23 brave souls at time of posting who voted yes. :)

Given my experience over at iRacing for the past 1.5 years, I would definitely like to see R3E adopt a sub pay model if it means more online racing. What a lot of sims who don't have that iRacing has is the organization. Argue what you want about the costs (it's $4 a month...spend 2 days without morning coffee and viola you can afford the monthly sub), but no other sims offer the scope of iRacing in terms of pick-up online racing. There's 2000-3000 people on the sim at once. No one else comes even close.

There should be more promotion of leagues. Places like RaceDepartment have leagues (yes, you gotta pay for those too!). But I think R3E should be organizing these leagues and have weekly races like iRacing. R3E has partnerships with DTM, WTCC, and other series, but all they do is for hot lap competitions. They're pooling their resources into that when they could just pool it in actual online public leagues. They have the partnerships and the tracks. Of course, I didn't factor money for Sector3 to implement this infrastructure, but if any developer wants to be serious about online racing, iRacing has the model. You can take the good things with it and expand on it.

It would be nice to have a competitor to iRacing, and different content is a start. But R3E needs hundreds racing online at different times of the day to start. Even right now, with most Americans at work or getting ready for work, there's nearly 2000 people online on iRacing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. T@X

T@X Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    +1

10. Rally-RacingIvysaur

Rally-RacingIvysaur Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I would not pay monthly fee for R3E. Monthly fee's are so 2000ísh. I prefer the current model to pay per car/livery/track. Maybe even weather + night too.

However, I am 100% for a rating system. Today I did MP Nordschleife and Hockenheimring. Public. It was horrible how many people ram, crash, spin, etc. In Nordschleiffe I had to brake cause of a corner and someone hit my hard in the rear, spun out and ended up with a full damaged engine. In Hockenheim I could not avoid 2 spinners and some rammers at the start. At last I finished 6th of 12 online people. Was 25 or so.

Ratingsystem is good for people who want to race clean. so Hotlappers, rammers, spinners, leavers will get a worser rating than people who drive clean, respect racing lines, finish the race no matter what.

It's good for R3E, better for the online experience and the best of us racers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. NigsNuts

NigsNuts New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    As far as I'm aware, I own pretty much every driving sim, simcade and many arcade driving games for the PC, except for iRacing.....I have the full content that R3E has at the moment (among others) but although I'd like to have iRacing in my library, I'm not prepared to pay their prices.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NigsNuts

NigsNuts New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Correct me if I'm wrong but as I remember, there was a monthly fee plus ridiculously expensive prices per car and track?

13. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    For iRacing? Yes. A monthly fee which has a best case scenario of being $50 for 2 years (Just over $2 a month) with cars at $12 each and tracks at either $12 or $15. People will try to tell you the content isn't that much, but that's only once you've spent around $200 - $300 on enough content to do at least 8 weeks of 12 possible weeks in 2 separate series to qualify for the $10 per season credit ($4 for D/C license, $6 for B/A license). Then there are % discounts for buying 3 or 6+ things at a time and ones for owning certain % of total content. Again, the later of those means people who have already sunk tons of money in gain the illusion that it isn't that bad because their current costs are much lower than a new player's costs and it's been so long since they had to pay the full price for content.

• Like Like x 1
  14. T.L

T.L Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This is a very cheap hobby/interest when it comes to the software atleast if you compare it to other things in life.
    I have spent way more money on the hardware then sims, tracks, cars etc.

15. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Making comparisons to other things in life is always a tricky situation. Compare the cost of a video game to a bed and you'll think you're getting the deal of a lifetime, but compare it to the cost of a quick meal and you're getting ripped off.

When it comes to money everything is relative. Some people have tens of thousands of dollars (or other currency) to spend every month while others barely have ten dollars each month of spending cash. What is cheap, acceptable, and reasonable will shift drastically depending on your monetary situation. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Nothing compares to the endless hours of joy I experience in my pimped bed. ^^

[​IMG]
    Vroom vroom. Worth every penny. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Awful taste in bed linen.

• Funny Funny x 1