Problem Graphics stutter (repeating old frames)

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by spyshagg, May 29, 2016.

1. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    hi guys

Can't find the cause for the stutter. Smooth -> stutter -> smooth -> smooth -> stutter etc etc etc

Paying attention to the graphics, they seem to go back in time a few frames and then jump to where they are supposed to be. So its not smooth -> stop -> smooth -> stop. Its more like smooth -> repeat previous frames -> jump ahead -> smooth -> repeat previous frames -> jump ahead -> smooth.

they are constantly happening but do no follow a time pattern.

2. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Even though my computer can manage 140 fps with all video settings maxed, if i set video settings to low the stutter disappear.

I am now increasing each video setting from low to high to find out which one is causing the stutter.

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried switching from fullscreen mode to windowed?

4. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    I suffered from the same, setting "max pre-rendered frames" (be aware there is two, one for general rendering and one for VR) in NV control panel to 1 and vsync to adaptive fixed the problem for me.

5. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I found the cause of the problem. Its an internal R3E graphical/loading engine problem, and can be triggered in two ways, depending on the track used.

1 - Its a problem with the option Tiremarks
    2 - A problem related to memory management when you first enter the session (also affected by Tiremarks)

Examples:

Nordschleife 24h With Tiremarks ON
    Nordschleife 24h With Tiremarks OFF

Spa With Tiremarks ON
    Spa With Tiremarks OFF

So, the issue is much stronger in some tracks. In some, the issue will disappear after the initial loading sorts it self out. In others it will always stutter if the option tiremarks is ON.

cheers

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  6. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    yes i tried everything before starting to mess around with R3E internal graphical settings. Because my framerate is always very high, I didn't think the problem could be related to the internal graphical settings, so I tried everything outside the game (resolutions, freesync on off, triple screens, single screen, vsync on of etc etc)

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But you say it still stutters, at least initially.

Care to give your PCs specs?

8. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    just had the worst performance possible on a racedepartment race at nordshleife 24h. Absolutely massive mega stutters when cars were around me in the grand prix track section with fps in the low 20's, and then high 80's once inside the nordschleife. To bad to believe.

2 months ago everything was perfect.

specs:
    Windows 10
    i7 2600K @ 5Ghz
    AMD R9 290X @ 1150/1475 modded bios -> http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8591492 (equivalent performance to a stock Fury)
    16GB DDR3 @ 2238mhz
    Game installed on SSD 128GB 840 PRO
    Latest beta drivers from amd as of today.

9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    have you tried running your Hardware in default Clocking?

Is OpenGL Triple-buffering disabled in Crimson?

10. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    You'll have to wait until next weekend for more tests.

I can say though that in yesterdays race there were other people complaining of bad framerates when a month ago everything was also fine for them. One of them said the he had 100fps a month ago and yesterday was 50.

11. Clausewitz

Clausewitz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    @spyshagg did u update graphics drivers recently? I had similar problems after installing newest drivers. Tried to solve problem by changing some settings, without really knowing what to change and eventually went back to Catalyst 14.xx (yes, I know that's quite old) or something like that. --> no more problems...

12. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I didn't had problems back in march. This weekend I tested two drivers (15.11.1 and the lastest beta), both have issues.

I then proceeded to test the game offline with 31 cars, tiremarks Off, world detail medium, shadows medium, fxaa off, shaders low, bloom off, godrays off, all textures low = Very smooth.

I then proceeded to enter an online race (racedepartment club race) in the same track and same settings. I was the first to enter the server and = smooth. As soon as somebody else entered the game = stuttering. When 5 or 6 more people joined the game = massive stuttering, particularly when passing the pit straight where they were parked. And while the graphics were stuttering like crazy, the framerate was always >110 FPS. The stutter was so bad it felt like 20fps.

I don't feel entitled to anything, but this is an horrible horrible online experience and nothing is being done to help me.

13. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Just last week I identified and reported an problem with Assetto Corsa graphics framerate getting lower as the session progressed. They asked me for logs etc. The issue was identified and a patch is being made to fix it. It took one week.

But sector3? no logs asked, not a single thing.

14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Because as long as it's not a global thing but only affects Nordschleife/Spa it's already known.

15. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My yesterdays example was from Zolder. As long as its online, every track seems to do it for me.

Offline I have issues with tiremarks every track I tried so far.

16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, some vital info you didn't include, don't you agree?
    Never heard of anything like this at Zolder. So I'd also look in the driver direction, or your PC setup.

17. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Does it matter really? this issue is dormant.

As for the Pc setup, I would expect to see the same sort of problems on other games.

Anyhow, its not the first time a patch broke something in r3e. We'll have to wait for the next one and pray.

cheers