What upgrade? A new wheel or trackIR and keep what I have?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoctorFrazierCrane, Jun 7, 2016.

1. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I've a G27, and I'm getting fairly serious about simming now, it's not something I do 'now and then'.

Should I get a T500, or keep the wheel I have and get Track IR and save the wheel for some other time?

What would make the most difference to my simming? Is the T500 such a big upgrade over the G27?

Thanks

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I have both G27 and TrackIR.

TrackIR is a must in serious flightsims (supercomplex cockpit environment like PMDG's modules, or dogfighter sims), and it is useful in certain FPS (like ArmA). In driving sims it is much less helpful, can even be confusing and making you getting off track and mowing the lawn. I use TrackIR only in two driving sims, where it is pretty essential: OMSI, and ETS2, you can make good use of it at crossroads and traffic lights. But in racing sims? Save your money. Have two buttons for quick side-glances on the wheel, works MUCH better.

I consider to upgrade my G27, too, but Thrustmaster is expected to release a new (direct drive) wheel late this year, so I parked the idea of a T500 now, and will see what they release then. I also have an eye on Fanatec, but I am not sure due to the steep price, the immense weight, and uncertainty on whether my table is stable enough. - To answer your question: the G27 gets the job done with probably the best bang-for-the-buck ratio of all wheels out there, if I were you, I would wait until christmas and then see what new wheel Thrustmaster is releasing in autumn or winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this advice Skybird, I'll chew over this, but I'm certainly leaning now to at least not getting the TrackIR

4. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    ...and yes I could think how TrackIR could be like a wildly exaggerated version of 'look to apex'....which I don't like in GTR2

5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Automatic look to apex, like in GTR2 I think works better, for it only reliably creates the modest change of perspective that your brain can deal with easily, it depends on the amount of effect you add, of course, I recall that back in my GTR2 days I liked it. When you use TrackIR, the risk is very high that when you turn the head a bit, perspective change is still such that it makes you wanting to correct your driving direction by reflex although your driving line is fine. Look to apex is automatical head movement, while TrackIR is manual movement, and that makes all the difference, at least in my perception. This irritates the vast majority of people I ever talked with about this. You look to the side - and your hands and wheel either follow that movement, or try to compensate a change in driving direction that your brain believes to see, but that does not exist. At the high speeds and close proximity to cars around that you get in racing games, this really can be a huge problem. Not so much ion slow driving scenes or slower sims like OMSI or ETS2.

Also, you do not gain a real advantage in racing sims. In flightsims, its essential, in racing sims it is not.

6. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I use EDTracker Pro...less expensive than Trackir and equal if not better...
    I use it for simracing and every game I can, really love it!!!

7. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm I've just about made up my mind, it's T500 as a replacement for my G27. I may still go for TrackIR....just can't decide on what 'else' I should get...