McLaren Mp4-12c GT3: engine damage from front-end collisions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Art_Vandelay, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    R3E doesn't seem to realize that the McLaren Mp4-12c GT3 is a mid-rear engine car, at least when it comes to its damage model. I frequently end up with a damaged engine from even light front-end collisions. In many cases, these collisions seem unlikely to result even in suspension damage, much less engine damage for ANY car. However, considering that the Mp4 is a rear-engine car, I would think it would take one hell of a front-end collision to damage the engine in the real world.

Yet, somehow the Mp4 seems far more fragile than any of the other cars, including those that actually DO have their engines up front. I've had many times when I've lightly tapped a car in front or brushed up against a wall in a manner that would be unlikely to cause any notable damage at all, but somehow it leaves my engine damaged beyond repair. Meanwhile, even after much more severe front impacts in front-engine cars I'm able to drive on with nothing more than cosmetic damage.

Has anyone else experienced this? Hopefully it will be fixed soon, as the Mp4 is one of my favorites and this has prematurely ended many races for me.

2. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    S3S confirmed many times, that damage modell is not finalized yet, it is in early stage of development atm. There are many things to change and improve in this case for sure. I suggest to turn off damages atm...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you damaged the radiator in the front resulting in an engine failure... :D

[​IMG]

I remember the front radiators being quite a sensitive spot for the Porsches in ADAC GT Masters. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Porsche carrera cup cars are renowned for spilling their radiators liquid all over the track. even though carreras are rear engine cars they are more fragile at the front.

5. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, I didn't know that about the Porsche carrera cups. Is that common with rear engine cars in general, or just a quirk of that particular car?

6. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Im not sure myself. I think it may be because there is less need for extra strengthening in the front but that's just my theory.

this has nothing to do with the raceroom damage model though as it is currently very incomplete and just filler really. i recommend you race with damage off.

7. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    i don't know if it is common, but imo they can get better airflow on the front so the cooling will be more efficient, and having something in the front of the car can help to set the proper weight balance (better to put something useful instead couple of bricks :) )

8. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Mp4 has no radiator in the front, they are on the middle side.

But it's true that it's common for same rear engine car to have them on front.

9. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    If there is no radiator in the front of a McLaren MP4-12C GT3 than what is this metally thingy in the black frame with tubes attached? I marked it with a red box to be sure.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    A decoy.

11. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

No Engine Radiator for the official MP4-12C MP3

[​IMG]

But as this place is empty they may have use it for some air filter or any secondary radiator (breaks, cockpits, etc)

You can see here that the engine radiator are on the side, at the back of the carbon cell:
    [​IMG]

12. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting since it shows that the MP4-12C GT3 has unergone some sort of evolution. The McLaren MP4-12C GT3 you show seems to be a very early version. As you can see in your first picture it is still missing the air intake in the middle of the front that leads to the radiator from my picture. The MP4-12C GT3 from RRRE already has this air intake so it also has the radiator. ;)

But in the end you shouldn't take this too serious since I was only joking. ;) Although there is a radiator in the actual version of the MP4-12C GT3 this is clearly not the reason for the engine failure the OP was experiencing. The reason is obviously the unfinished state of the damage model. Btw. I also have no idea what exactly this radiator is for but I can find the central air intake on all pictures of a MP4-12C GT3 from 2014 I could find. Some examples...

ADAC GT Masters 2014 (pre season test at Oschersleben):
    [​IMG]

Blancpain Endurance Series 2014 (Spa 24h):
    [​IMG]

On both you also can see the air outlet right before the windscreen. It's also present on the RRRE McLaren. And I'm willing to bet my a$$ it is the outlet from the center intake going through the radiator. :cool:

13. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Please keep on discussing this and posting images of this beauty! Rawr!

14. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Might it be an intercooler?

For my original problem, I agree that the resolution for the time being seems to be to either turn off damage or live with its issues until they have time to refine the damage model. Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the discussion, and particularly the pics!