Crazy track limits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skswat, Jun 7, 2016.

1. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I found one quite annoying track limit which is giving you invalid lap almost every time.
    It is first chicane on Salzburgring. You can cut first corner almost to tyre stack and everything is fine (if you are extremely close you got invalid lap). But annoying thing is second corner. You cut it just a little and your lap is invalid. I think this limit is way too strict and not very realistic. I think tyre stack is making quite a good limit so you cannot cut there very much anyway. Why you can cut so much in 1st but almost cannot on 2nd? :neutral:
    Funny thing also is that if you crash that orange tyre stack, its rock solid and don't move at all. Like if you crashed into a solid wall.
    16956430328_098d90f5bc_h.jpg

Did you noticed any annoying track limits on other tracks? Whether too strict or or vice versa, too benevolent? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Lol agree about that concrete filled tire stack. Or perhaps they are storing the hazardous lead collected from Austrian workplaces in that stack.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Mtze_h3h3

Mtze_h3h3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hockenheim Turn 1 is way too forgiving imho.
    Nürburgring Exit Turn 4/5 is weird, because on 24h/vln layout you get an easy off track, but gp/short layout is not as strict.

4. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Last corner in Portimao is way to strict, too. It is really a bad joke.

BTW:
    rock solid tyre stacks are ridiculous.

There so many small things to fix (i think the track limits are not a big deal to adapt) but we become the opportunity to buy hundreds of unrealisitc liveries. Thats not the way i would go as developer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Flamedphoenix

Flamedphoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Yea it would be nice if they could fix at least the tracklimits of Salzburgring before TCOne is driving it.

6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I guess the Track-Limits in that chicane haven't changed after the tyre-stacks were moved a bit. Before the tyre-stacks were moved, it was possible to get a Cut-Track-Penalty at that position, too - but only in very rare situations (nearly or slightly touching the tyres somewhere in the apex).

7. Alexander Dornieden

Alexander Dornieden Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Mid ohio first corner....if you touch the curb on the inside just a little bit u will get an invalid lap...next TCOne race is on Mid Ohio so please fix Devs :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Well. for me I don't see a problem in the 1st chicane in Salzburgring.

Tyre stack are NOT the track limit. The Track limit is the white line.
    You could put the tire stack 3 meters away it would not change that.
    As long as you still have at least 1 wheel between the whites lines, you're good.
    So if the distance between the stack and the white line is bigger than the width of your car, of course when you pass close to the stack you'll be considered of track. And as not all the car are the same width, the closer you can get the stack will depend of the car you drive (a WTCC is not wide as a Gr5 or a GTO).
    That's all...

PS: only talking about this example. In others tracks the track limit may be different.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Technically that curb doubles as pit exit so it's supposed to be exceptionally sensitive ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Agree with this. Since inside the kerb on T1 is technically the pit lane exit... why should you be allowed to drive there? That kerb is the dividing line between the racing surface, and being off the racing surface.

11. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    From my point of view most annoying thing is that there are some parts on tracks where game is extremely forgiving and some where is extremely sensitive.
    I was driving Zandvoort Club and you can cut one corner quite hard without any penalty. Few corners later game is giving invalid laps for almost invisible cut.
    This inconsistency confuses me as a driver...

12. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, just went and checked this again... It is giving me a disqualification penalty for touching the kerb on T1 at Mid Ohio.

This never happened to me before, so maybe something got changed in the track if the devs looked at it recently? Im not sure... Will report this though.

13. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed a couple of these recently that 'fire off' on the first lap of a race only. Laguna Seca's pit exit is another example. If you cut across it, even slightly, on the initial lap it will instantly disqualify you. Not sure if it's supposed to be that harsh or if it's an unintended side effect, but it's made me much more careful on that first lap :p

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I can really only speculate here, but it does seem like something got changed at Mid Ohio somewhat recently (past couple weeks/months). Seems an unintended side effect is that the cut track detection is now either more strict or somehow got extended closer to the valid racing surface, which is giving this harsh penalty.

Cant really form a solid guess without even further speculation, so I'll leave that out, but it does mean that there might be a few other spots on certain tracks this is an issue.

Definitely will look at this one too as I know the spot you are referring to immediately ;)

Not sure how they would fire off more on the first lap than successive laps, but I had some harsh penalties at Mid Ohio on the first lap... and never really got further because I kept getting DQ'd. I'll check that out too, but perhaps it's just a cut track detection issue and has nothing to do with what lap you are deemed to have cut on.

Anyways, if you guys notice any other areas that are close to the pit entrance/exit of a track, drop some info in this thread again so we can take a look at it.

Thanks for the infos here guys, cheers :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. marshma11ow8

marshma11ow8 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Even little things like rejoining the track after you spin off the track will get you an invalid lap
    I was having a good race on the nordschleife and coming into the north loop i spun and had to go across the inside of turn 1 and got a drive through
    way to ruin a good race

16. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That doesnt sound like a cut track issue like the ones above. Rather unfortunate you were penalized, but sounds like it is working as intended.

You were off track, and going through a part of the track that has cut track detection there, and then re-entered the track after passing through this off track zone... As I recall, I believe the game makes a quick calculation when you are off track and if it thinks you are gaining any time at all, it gives you a penalty. Usually, if you spin out and go off track or into a 'cut' area, you can slow down substantially and return to the driving surface without a penalty or DQ.

The game has no idea when you spin out and if you are trying to recover, so it isnt able to take that into account when it is calculating you being off track and whether to serve a penalty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. marshma11ow8

marshma11ow8 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well when your pointing backwards and the only option is the wall or off track you'd expect that it's more lenient.
    My point is the invalidation of laps is often irrespective of why you've "cut the track" (which you can get from hitting the wall?!)

18. The Angry Hamster

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    In a digital environment there often have to be more 'one size fits all' solutions for things like off tracks. In real life it is easy and quick to simply say 'this person was forced off track' or 'they spun, lost time, and made the safe re-entry' while in a digital realm it is more difficult to judge those circumstances.

Detecting 'why' the track was cut is often much more difficult. Take an example where 2 drivers make contact into a corner and one is forced off and re-joins the track after cutting the corner. If you make a system where contact immediately invalidates corner cuts, then you now open up doors for people to purposefully make contact, even slightly, into a corner and then utilize that to make faster laps than normally possible. Now, unless they constantly had someone near them, they obviously wouldn't be able to do it every time, but it would still be almost equally frustrating to have someone do this and just fly off into the distance. In this situation the likely outcome would be people complaining that the cut penalties were too lenient.

It really comes down to being a difficult line to draw in a digital realm between being too harsh and not being harsh enough on the penalties. I think R3E does one of the best jobs currently of handling their cuts, particularly when you set it to slow downs. Improvements can always be made, but I can't count the amount of times I've self-penalized through an off-track or cut, like at the first chicane at Monza, and been completely fine. Or even cut an entire corner or 2 very slowly to avoid coming back on track at an apex, while losing at least one spot generally, and not gotten a penalty.