Is it possible to use the Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro pedals without the vertical back plate frame?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metalogic, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I'm considering which pedals to get for my first wheel, I had been considering either a set of GTEYE or Nixim spring modded G27 pedals with a Bodnar adapter (giving 10 bits resolution) or the Thrustmaster T3PA pedals.

I had discounted the T3PA-Pro pedals because thought that the large vertical back plate (i.e. the frame you can use to turn the unit around to mount the pedals GT style) couldn't be removed, as it would get in the way of the very limited space I have for my setup (and also be awkward when putting away the Wheelstand Pro I'm thinking of getting) - but I just had a thought - can the vertical back plate frame be removed and does this still leave the pedals fully functional and not loose or anything? If so, then I would actually be interested in these pedals, as would prefer fully-metal construction for the pedals (and in the future the GT-style mounting option may be a possibility, e.g. if I move somewhere with more space)

i.e. is the backplate frame shown here easily removable and do the pedals operate fine without it?:

[​IMG]

2. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I have these pedals and am pretty sure it is just a couple of bolts holding them on and it is not connected to anything else.

4. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, useful to know, as this gives me another option. Though another option I'm considering is getting a pair of second-hand Fanatec CSR Elite pedals, which would probably cost less and have an adjustable load cell...

5. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    There is a good brake mod for the t3pa pros and it is only around 20 bucks. I really like these pedals, very solid, good spacing also for my big hoofs.

6. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Which mod is that? I'm aware of various load cell mods (at much more than 20 bucks), but nothing else

7. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I think F1Aussie is referring to the brake mod for $19. I have the T3PA that came with my T500, not the same as T3PA Pro and pretty sure the frame you want to remove is just for holding the base when you turn the pedals round to GT mode. Great pedal set by the way.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Yes the brake mod, it is a screw in rubber stopper, very progressive but firm feel to it, is neat.

9. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I have that mod, well worth the price it works well and feels very natural .

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    The conical brake mod is great, but the "official" one is waaaay overpriced, I got this instead:

http://uk.farnell.com/paulstra/512307/stop-progressive-conical/dp/1303933

£2.72 (or 4,23 Euro, without shipping), it's essentially the same thing and it works just fine :) I just had to tighten it down with a nut as it's an M8 thread but if you get one with an M10 thread it should be a perfect fit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The pros already have the brake mod included, at least when shipped in the package with the T500.

12. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    true but its not as good as the one from Thebrakemod i drove the one that came with it for a long time then i decided to give this one a try after it was recommended by ISR and it much better. much smoother and progressive

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Oops, sorry. I thought you were talking about the realistic brakemod you can also purchase from Thrustmaster. Nice to know that one works better. But isn't it identical to the standard brakemod of the t3pa pedals (the ones that come with the t300) ? That's also just a screw and a conical rubber piece.

14. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I actually bought some used Fanatec CSR Elite pedals that I won in an eBay auction for £80 in the end, seemed like a good deal, unless they turn out to be really worn out. I guess it's possible I might need to replace the load cell, but hopefully that's all.

If they don't work out I'll consider the T3PA-Pros again.

15. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    They are similar but as i mentioned above the one from the brake is a hell of a lot better. The other one feels like a cheap spring pushing back, there is little to no progression. They are technically trying to achieve the same thing, The conical one from Thebrakemod is much better. As i said well worth the 20$

• Agree Agree x 1