Oculus Rift Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by balu, Jan 29, 2015.

1. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Since Raceroom Entertainment bankroll sector3 to make this game, I'm sure their priority order is what goes. Equally I'm sure that every conceivable feature, track and car are known about, but their are only so many resources to work with.
    I can fully understand tha Raceroom want their sim to work first with relatively low system requirements, VR is anything but low requirements. This means it's probably not a high priority. Personally I'd prefer more features of a race weekend, as well as dynamic time of day, weather and track surface to come before VR.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    VR is the future and the future is here :)

All the big titles are moving into VR. PCARS and Assetto Corsa are amazing in the Oculus Rift. Dirt Rally and Iracing will support it soon. Once you have experienced VR, it hard to go back to "just" 2d monitors.

I hope that sector3 doesn't miss the boat. The big 4 titles mentioned above will be enough to satify my VR needs, it would be great if we could add RRE to that list.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spazo

Spazo Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    VR in raceroom will come with a new engine. Cannot run on dx9. So the more title implementing VR, the more it put pressure on raceroom to push the development of a new graphic engine.

I don't think you will see new feature on the current game other than cars and tracks

4. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    VR does work in directx9 see Live For Speed and Euro Truck Sim 2. No reason Race Room could not be updated to work if the publisher & devs could see how many new users it would bring & it could be offered as a paid update. It is no great loss though as Assetto Corsa is now updated, Dirt Rally coming next patch and the awesome looking KartKraft will release VR ready soon. So there is no shortage of brilliant race titles for VR which is the future of sim racing and titles that ignore it will be left in the dust...
    ... literally ! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I was just about to post this. LFS came out 13 years ago and runs on DX9, but they got VR working with Oculus Rift and are always the most up to date with VR with the best VR support of all the racing sims. As I understand it, they have a DX11 wrapper around the game to get around the DX9 limitation.

I've tried racing with VR and I was really disappointed that I can't play my favorite racing sim with VR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matthias Zlusch

Matthias Zlusch Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Everybody who´s into simracing, will have a VR Headset over short. Look in the other Forums how long the VR Threads are. The longer Sector 3 is waiting, they will loose a community. Till September (when the VR Headsets reach the official market, and leave the preorder deliveries) there should be an implemented VR support. No matter how!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  7. Harry Fuchs

Harry Fuchs New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    +1
    Since i use the DK2 i dont touch RRE. Sad, because i like the Sim and i respect the work behind. Now i using the Rift CV1 with AC and pCars and it is a new Dimension. I really can understand why Sector3 dont post any news about the support. Did the Team try the CV1? From my view it is a big mistake because the new technik user are the power user (like me). They bring money and experience. Sad, really sad. I hope the best for the future, but for now i have no interesst.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    Yes Harry it is a mix of narrow vision or perhaps lack of it entirely, and stubbornness ... their loss though and there are too many good sims now & soon coming with VR support to worry any more. I was keen sometime ago to know some news on VR for RRRE to offer support but after some time I came to realise these devs simply ignore any question about it which I find extremely rude. There is a few people here who will offer lame excuses to support the current position though ! ;)

Also today talking to some sim buddies they told me that Microsoft Flight Sim X is DX9 and runs brilliantly on Rift CV1 by way of a program called FlyInside, adding further weight to what absolute rubbish the dx9 excuse is for not being able to support VR (RRRE being dx9). Not my kind of sim though I do like a few flight ones like Elite Dangerous and DCS both of which are great VR titles. Anyway I will be soon receiving my Rift and moving onwards & updwards ! :D

9. Flag1944

Flag1944 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom would again be my #1 go to sim if they implemented Vive and CV1 support. If they choose not too then R3e will end up nothing more than a fond memory for me. Even Pcars (which I hated before VR) in VR is better than R3e on triple 2d screens.
    The Devs should say something. Give us something either way. I hate to sit and hope only to find out there was never anything to hope for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    There is light at the end of the tunnel.:p
    Footage of new VR-interface leaked.
    All serverconnect problems are gone.
    [​IMG]
    Raceroom cafés get new equiped.
    [​IMG]
    Resistance is futile!

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Disagree on some points. Those that use it are enthusiastic about it. It is a very cool experience, no doubt, but to say soon everyone will be using it is a major over-estimation. It's not only a case of access to the hardware which will get a lot better, but more so people actually wanting to strap a device to their heads when they sit down to game in the evenings. For me there are real world disadvantages to such a setup that could be listed in another thread.

I definitely agree with your point that the die hard VR users will no longer play R3E, same as I would stop playing without triple monitor ability. But even that technology is the minority and will remain so to your average , perfectly happy, single screen player.

Personally I would love the price of quality head tracking VR to come down enough on a quality unit where I could buy one to use on the odd occasion when I'm up for such a setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Flag1944

Flag1944 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Trust me it is more convenient than you think. I too thought it was going to take a moment to set things up in order to sit down and play in VR. The truth is that it takes no more time than putting a pair of swimming goggles on. It takes my wheel longer to finish it's startup rotation than it does to put the hmd on and start it up. The HMD starts faster than just one of my monitors takes to turn on.

I thought that it would be something that I just used on my off days and since I've gotten it - I've yet to game without it

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    ^^ I hear you on being easy to get going. I've used the dk2. For me it's just of case of not wanting to spend my gaming time with a device strapped to my head, blocking all other vision, for a variety of reasons.

Like other geewhiz tech that has come around like 3-D glasses, I don't see it ever becoming the main format that the general population plays games on - at least as long as a headset is required (considering far into the future) And again, I've tried it and experienced how cool it is. I think it will (and perhaps already has) do better than 3-D. The hardcore sect will carry it and have plenty of content, but it's not going to faze out monitors in racing games as suggested previously.

14. Matthias Zlusch

Matthias Zlusch Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    But its not a Dev-Kit anymore. The new Software is much better. You dont need to setup anything. When the game supports Oculus, it supports Oculus.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Simulator is about immersion... and virtual reality bring big progress in immersion.
    I agree that hardcore drivers (which I would say is majority of R3E community) will switch to VR soon or later.
    Because pricing is same or maybe even lower than price of your wheel. And when prices will drop, more and more drivers will buy it and of course they will start play games which suppport VR. I would do same... and maybe I will.
    Its sad because I like R3E and its content, and spend a lot money on it, but... VR is VR :D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Since i've got the CV1, i only started R3E once or twice.... hard to get back to a flat monitor after VR. And sadly R3E is my favourite, im playing it since the begining when there was only 1 car and 1 track....it is sad that they don't really care about VR (especially because they did it before, it was working on dk2, so i dont really understand why it doesnt right now....)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Because of the dropped DirectX9-support of the Oculus runtime.

18. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    Except that if they had the vision and motivation these devs could make it work right now ... Dx9 titles are proven to work on CV1 with some extra effort by the developer. See Live for Speed, Euro Truck Sim 2 and Flight Sim X to name a couple. Sadly this good race sim will be left behind as VR is perfect for sim racing and is kicking off now.

19. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Yeah we all know that, but we also know that there is a walk around for that....so it is not impossible ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I didn't said it's impossible with DX9. I know about the workaround.;)
    I just referred to the "Oh it formerly worked, but why it doesn't work anymore?". I wanted to point out that it may be not that simple now to implement it. Perhaps the former VR code in R3E is no longer usable. Starting from scratch means efford and i'm afraid the priorities for the development team are somewhere else.