DashPanel - Simracing dashboards for Android/iOS/PC/VR.

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by Berno, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    When I first put the app up on google play it was giving me trouble by listing it as "designed for phones". I upped the required API as one of the ways to stop this from happening but have found another solution now. I recently put the minimum API down to 2.3.1 gingerbread so I could test on my Samsung Galaxy and its all working fine. So when the next version is released you should be compatible!

2. KoshaPashkin

KoshaPashkin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, open with notepad, but encodingo_O
    [​IMG]

3. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    OK great, I didn't try that,
    I will try that ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    No need to open the plr file for R3E it has shared memory enabled by default.
    I will update my instructions to be more clear that editing PLR is only needed in GTR2.

5. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Tried that and it work like a charm on all Android screen I have, that app work on :D ;) awesome

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Tested the app a little today across a couple of sims. Works very well and shows a lot of promise. One thing I did notice though was that it was a lot more draining on the battery then say Dashmeter Pro, to the point it was actually draining the battery a bit while the phone was plugged in. Anyways, keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot for the input. As I spend most of the time coding changes and quickly testing them I haven't noticed the battery usage before. Havent had time for an endurance race for ages!
    I will definitely look into fixing this!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Liking the update, battery is no longer draining while the phone is tethered and the F1 Dash looks real nice.

Seeing as you're about to leave beta I'm wondering if you plan on supporting the Codies games and if you plan to add telemetry for tires&brakes? Codies would be a bonus but Brake/Tire info is a must have for me if I'm to drop cash on the app. Anyways good job and all the best with the 1.0. :)

10. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I'm glad the update has helped the battery life.

Yes I definitely want to add Codies support and a lot more widgets. I'm still being hamstrung by Unity limitations in making the editor as powerful as I wish but now I'm going to press ahead with adding widgets and dashboards.

I was thinking tire data was the next most important to add but would like your opinion on what sim you think has the best representation of tire data? There doesn't seem to be a defacto standard for tyres in simracing. I find I actually dont understand some of the tire displays in sims! Automobilista has a nice clear display, although I find the temperatures colours in Assetto Corsa make more sense but wear is pooly represented. I'm thinking R3E style bars with colour added for temperature would be a good start? But because I dont use the tire displays much myself as I mainly do sprint races I am open to input on what you would find usable and useful!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Hah yeah tires are a minefield, Assetto Corsa is up to 10 revisions now...
    For me personally a widget like the one you describe sounds more then enough. What I'm mostly looking for is a quick overview during straights that let me know roughly where my tires and brakes are, a colored bar showing wear and tear and a general idea if I'm on cold, overheated or correctly heated tires is enough. Project CARS did this very well I thought. I understand it's a tall order though with the amount of games you're supporting and it might not be feasible to have it provide detailed information during all games.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Great! Even though I'm not an expert tyre display user it sounds like we're on the same page :)
    As a quick test I made this control in Unity. It would represent a warmed up tyre with 10% wear.
    tyre.jpg

I just see all the coloured blocks on the rFactor tire display and have no idea whats going on. Not something I can personally understand while driving but I thought you could have been talking about something like that.

It should be ok to get temps and wear from all the supported sims but you never know :)
    I don't even want to think what the devs go through to actually build these tyre models ;P

Thanks for the input.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. David Plummer

David Plummer Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Are there any plans to update the app for the lastest patch? @Berno

14. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Yes its been done but the timing couldnt have been worse im right in the middle of something then ill be pretty much ready to release the first full version! I was thinking of just waiting till i get that out in a few days instead of loosing time going back to merge the fix with the beta server.

15. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Its dawned on me that trying to get the next version out as quick as possible is more stressful than just going back and updating the beta server :)

So here is the server working with the latest R3E Data. Be warned this does break compatibility for legacy SimBin games though.
    http://www.pyrofrogstudios.com/downloads/DashPanelSRV_0.2.5.zip

• Like Like x 1
  16. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I didn't manage to get a combined tyre wear/temperature display in the app yet but it will definitely come in a future version!

• Like Like x 2
  18. coolwhip21

coolwhip21 Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Great work on the app! I use it all the time on various devices.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jani1980

Jani1980 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Thats so fucking amazing. 4€ is a great Price for this App. Thanks :)

DRS Info must comming!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  20. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    haha thanks mate you made my day!
    Yes of course will add DRS soon. Just need to think how best to represent not available, available and open! I think R3E has a good display I will look to emulate that! :)

• Like Like x 2