This sim is a beauty!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by r-r-public, Mar 1, 2015.

1. r-r-public

r-r-public Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Hello Sector3, hello community.

I don't know if it's only placebo. But I could swear the whole game looks different then the last time I played it. It looks so good, so improved! I'm sure many tracks got some love (objects around the track), the Time Of Day also looks improved (the lighting looks incredible and very clean), the shadows too, noticed more and improved shadows.

The tracks are just outstanding good looking! While racing it looks so real, creates almost perfect immersion. It's ruining my weekends because I can't stop playing it! I'm inhaling the replays, the visuals are a pleasure to look at.

Had some stuttering problems with the update before the last one. Also gone! Everything went to normal, smooth gameplay on every track. Lacuna Seca is my test track in that case, smooth as silk.

Thank you, Sector3.

Best regards
    Robert

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    I think there is a texture update coming to Laguna, so it will look better soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThereIs0nly0ne

ThereIs0nly0ne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I agree, it does look great. There's still room for improvement with some of the cockpit textures, shadows (which I understand are being worked on), car shadows in the mirrors and the mirror resolution itself. It would be great to see a higher poly count in some of the interiors as well. I'd also welcome some further optimisation generally, particularly on some of the tracks (Moscow Raceway, I'm looking at you ...). I'm not hoping for much then :)

I hope S3S carry on with their sterling work and continue to refine and optimise because this could look truly outstanding all round. The lighting in Sonoma is something else.

Edit: Oh, a couple of other things while I'm here... better antialiasing on the shadows and high resolution liveries would be utterly fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    cool, much needed imo.

5. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I also find the graphics good, although they still have some artificial feel, it lacks also some dynamics. The problem is in the lighting and that is the most important part in realism. It's not only the developers fault because it is the technique anno 2014, we shall see much progress in this in the coming years. With new shaders, simplified ray tracing (voxel based?), etc.. Also better tessellation and refinement algorithms to make, for example, curved shapes more fluid.

But what impresses me most of Raceroom is the driving, it feels like every lap is yours to own (or not :tearsofjoy:). The player is in control with excellent force feedback, dynamic sound, and enough visual precision that there is nobody to blame than yourself if the race, competition or whatever ends in misfortune.

I also would like more environment influence (wind, rain, clouds moving.. like past the sun, etc...)

The business model is not really my first choice, but with RR i can live with it (Unlike some EA games).

So Sector 3 keep up the good work and this sim game will get a good and loyal following.

• Like Like x 1
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad you mentioned high resolution liveries as I was considering starting a thread to ask for this.

Liveries look very blocky when viewed close-up i.e. bonnet/hood cam. It's a shame as the rest of the game looks pretty sharp. An option to run higher resolution liveries for people with more powerful systems would be most welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. janni

janni Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    OP made some very good points. This sim looks great AND it runs smooth as silk (even on higher resolutions).

After spending hours of hours "trying" to get the more graphical intense alternatives to run on the same level, i'm choosing constant performance and fluidity over (not necessarily needed) graphically gimmicks, like animated crowds and raining rubber, any day.

(Micro-)Stuttering just totally kills the driving-immersion for me (which should always be the top priority)...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Sonoma is particulary stunning, and testament to the designer`s skill, although as others have mentioned, the car graphics could do with an upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Totally Agree OP. To me, R3E just makes me feel like i'm really there.I keep saying that but it's true. Once i played it for awhile all other sims feel inferior.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. euphoreon

euphoreon New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think the artificial look (at times) is due to the grass, it's quite fake looking and too light most of the time. Improved lighting and shadows would help a great deal too. That's probably another reason Sonoma looks the best, since it only has desert.

Saying that, I already really like the look of the game - always room for improvement but it's getting better all the time.

I hope there will be some updates to some older tracks, Bathurst could use a bit of a polish in terms of reality I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    the curbs around bathurst look a bit clean the ones irl are coverd in rubber at some points and often are even eaten into

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    One minor nagging about the looks would be the time of day setting for sunset. It is too dark, too gloomy, too depressive as if I would really enjoy to race with that. Looking at the sun and the sky around is okay, but many other directions makes me feel like being in Mordor, even more so since any real lioght from cars or trackside lamps is missing.

If there is no plan to have real lights from cars and buildings (no complaint, it would eat away from the CPU/GPU resources), then I wonder whether future track improvemnmts could include painted light cones on the tarmac to create a faked light environment at sunset, and dawn.

Having said ^that, I think R3E nevertheless looks great, all in all. I like its visual style. I suggested in another thread to have a slider or two added, however, one for contrast and one for colour saturation.

13. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I am just having a ball on Raceroom right now...Z4 @ Redbull Ring, Daytona Prototypes @ Ohio, both in Sunset ...sounds great, looks great... Feels great..
    ..IS great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    When you finish a race and you have sweat running down your face and your hands and feet are numb and paining, then you can say you had a race that felt so real like you were really there.

The AI is just about perfect that gives you side by side racing and aggressive enough to let you know when you are slow. I have AI on 97% for championships at the moment and for the next round will up it to 98-99%. It has to feel that they are racing and not do the impossible which gives me immersion.

I go back to other sims and ends up finding it lacking in areas which spoils racing for me.

What is RRE considerred as in GET REAL mode, a simulation or sim arcade?

15. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Oui beau jeu

16. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I can't speak for anyone else but I consider R3E on Get Real mode, very much a sim, you can look at it this way. GT6 considers it self a (very hardware limited) simulator, R3E is much more realistic as it stands but still has more to come (being a beta).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. r-r-public

r-r-public Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Hello Sector3, hello community.

Sorry to dig out my old thread but I wanted to avoid to open a new one. Just played R3E yesterday and it was an awesome experience as it always is. But what impressed me again was the clean, realistic look and the sharp visuals. My last run was at the Red Bull Ring Spielberg with the MP4-12C and some opponents in some training laps. And it looked indescribable good. Sorry to repeat myself but it looks almost like you're sitting in the real thing when focused enough and concentrating on what you're doing. The draw distance is great and all the lovely things that fly by when you catch some speed, it creates perfect immersion to me. It's hard to stop playing while you have that much fun. Not to mention the perfect sound environment you're in with all that suspension squeaks, engine roar, backfire, opponents. It often happens that I have to chase the car far in front of me because I want to hear the outstanding sound of it while I try to overtake this beast.

Sector3, let me tell you, you pushed this game to a level I only could dream of. You've a team of the most talented people out there. And Anthony is the one I would never get bored of to tell him how outstanding the things are he does.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  18. brightHand

brightHand Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I fully agree with you, but to be more specific, the problem is that their visuals are being hindered by directx 9. The moment I loaded this game up I was very pleased with the aesthetics and the incredible amounts of track detail and "life" in the tracks, but I felt like it was all missing "something." Then I realized that the environment was lacking some directx 11 mainstays such as hdr lighting, tastey texture shaders, and proper shadowing.

I'm at least glad that they didn't go for the oversturated, washed out, cartoony look of Project cars, but they really need to upgrade to dx11 if they want to bring out this game's true potential in graphics and attract more new comers. I really think R3E would be a graphics titan if it had this last but most important aspect: proper lighting; it is the only reason why Assetto Corsa looks better than it right now.

-plus plant some 3d grass around the tracks please; that "green carpet" thing is somewhat jarring, here in 2015.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tcb77

tcb77 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'm testing in the promotion of the weekend and the game is surprisingly good. The AI is great which to me is perfect because i don´t like racing online. Once there is some promotion on Steam, i will buy for sure some packages. Bring it to DirectX 11 or 12 and we will have a champion here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I agree, the AI here is a massive strength - there are few others that compare (maybe GTR2 after A LOT of tweaking files). I'm similar in that I don't like racing online on public servers but I don't have a consistent enough schedule to partake in a league, so offline is very important to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1