@Sector3: So what is coming next? How's the plan?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ernie, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Okay, here are some questions about the future development:
    Besides tracks and cars that S3 is going to release in the future, what features are green on the to do list:

- Weather
    - Full flag system incl safety car
    - More advanced car setup ala GTR2
    - Option to set laps and or time
    - Option to set mandatory pitstops incl time and laps
    - A full menu to define the games difficulty settings

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. testdriver69

testdriver69 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    if i may add: no "autodrive" or an option to disable

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    And suddenly the wind stopped...the trees stopped moving and it all went very quiet in the deep forrest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    That and/or "we had to take care of this, that, and the other before we could start merging the experiences." and "we had to take care of those that just dropped $20 on x experience package"

Pure speculation on my part.

5. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Okay, i'll make it more easy. Lets start with something small: tire temperature. We have awesome cars, awesome tracks but none of the cars gives us tire temp information. Is this on the green to do list?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Not that I know much about what Sector3 is planning or working on, but...

I wouldnt say something like tire temperature is something "small."

That is quite an immensely complex thing to tackle to get right fundamentally, then to get right for every car. That isnt something that would just be added perfectly after 2 weeks of coding. For example, Assetto Corsa has been fiddling with tire temps for over 2 yrs now... and that is a game that had tire temps/pressure from the start. To properly model how temp affects grip, how temp changes from heating and cooling, how long straights and corners affect temps, how camber/toe affect temps, how the different compounds affect temps and grip, etc.

Now, I think tire temps are already modeled in game to some extent, although Im not sure how in depth the simulation there goes... but perhaps expectations of what can feasibly be added easily can be better understood. ;) It may seem simple, but to get it right is no small task.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Temps are simulated/modeled afaik. I believe the crewchief app can tell you how high they are. I don't use that function much though. Though from Iracing i've learned tire temps can help you to setup the car properly.

More so than tire temp info we need actual tire pressures. To my knowledge pressure is not simulated at all and we for sure can't adjust it. We don't have adjustments for each corner of the car either. It's just front and rear.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    @nate: sorry, you are missing the point. This is about communication from S3 to the community. My two cents: we will never see all those in game features, but by telling the community...well, fill out the rest yourself.
    Same happened when Simbin announced GTR3 6 years ago, it went all quiet for more than a year and suddenly it was Raceroom Experience. Listen to all dev vlogs: they do not answer one single question. All answers are political correct. I do not care which path they take, but as a customer i would like to know the path itself.
    Anyways, to relief you all i will stop doing my best. I guess we just have to wait...we are only waiting 6 years now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The thing is that if they say anything now, it will be regarded as an official announcement. They'd like to do all those things, but are somewhat limited by the engine but to a much greater extent by the time it takes to create those things and implement them in the UI.

Tyre temperatures are already being simulated. But they've taken a different approach in that they decided to simulate tyre core temperatures rather than surface temps. I think it was good decision in general, talked about it here already: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/tire-temperatures.4776/#post-64519

The real problem is that people are used to reading and dealing with surface temps, which makes it harder to interprete the core temps correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @Bee it becomes imo easier, when one doesn't treat the game like an investment banker. You get some joy with the state you currently have, you pay for that service that you have been given and fine. Anything on top is bonus, it may or may not come at whatever time-frame. You either have trust in the direction the developers take and the patience to not care so much about the "when". Or you don't and get worked up by it, because you think your investment is in danger or not big enough or whatever.

Imo it's rare that developers give detailed roadmaps to their customers, given it only creates pressure and potential disappointment and (while less relevant here) is also not smart competitively. As long as the three programmer positions at the s3s job offers page are not filled, I would not expect any major changes to how things have been run. Imo they are simply too understaffed and therefore prone to external priorities, rather than self-paced development and quicker progress.

Which in "political correctness" has been mentioned exactly like that by them in interviews as well...

Choosing to ignore the situation, as frustrating as it can be for all parties involved, and insisting on something "unreal" is not gonna make it better for anyone.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  11. Jani1980

Jani1980 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I see everywhere only more cars...
    • why not for Game itself as rain
    • dirt on the roadway
    • mature wear what remains on the track
    • improved graphics resolution ( edit higher resolution and field of view 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3 ) <- I've got problems I see no name on the vehicles
    • Wreckage after a collision on the track ( they need not even a box that have damaging vehicles coming but that they are visible )
    • the Ingame Chat -.- pls pls pls
    I find the game well developed absent, however, such small details.

Second thing would be the dedicated server
    • Live view of the driver
    • Change the setting race without the server to shut down
    • Remove from players ( in the race before that anger made )
    • Telemetry insight to the race monitor to other players

these are a few things that just occurred to me

Thanks RR and sry for my wonderfull English :eek:

12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    And looking at this video, it looks like the surface temps are very fluently, fast changing.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Questions were asked late
    When the office stood empty
    Now patch keeps us busy

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Wonderful x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
  14. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The game itself is awesome, cars are detailed, tracks even better. But missing some basic functions as there were mentioned. Multiplayer control panel (ability to change things on server live, ban/kick players, voting for next track, vote to kick player, etc...), also more options when creating race. When I open Multiplayer I see a lot of servers, but almost all are empty... It would be nice to vote to skip practice for example, mostly 90% drivers leave server because after race there is going 10 min practice, 10 min qualy,.... nobody care to have 10min practice on track he know very well. Qualy is also boring in multiplayer unless you drive some league or so.
    Start to next race could be based on results from previous race. And there could be option in dedicated server if grid will be reversed or not or random.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0

Wow man, great stuff. We need you over at the SCS blog :) It's the same guys complaining about the same non-features every post, even for posts like "We just released a whole new state!". I especially like the investment banker analogy!

I get that folks are excited about the game and want to see new things - I am as well. Yes R3E doesn't have certain things that other games have - they are not the same game! Maybe those other games should have spent more time on the "fun to drive" aspect instead of dynamic weather, otherwise i might play those more.

This is a relatively new model with the post-release game updates - it's fantastic for those of us heavily vested in a game. Many of us grew up getting what we got when we bought a game, and that was it. You either hoped you could return the thing to the dept store if it sucked (they caught on to that quick) or you were stuck with it. And I can tell you, if I were "stuck" with R3E in it's current state, it would still be the game I played the most.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. KoshaPashkin

KoshaPashkin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    What about own numbers? With no liveries it nice thing for leagues :)

And any plans to make position display panels?
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Tobi / Owner98

Tobi / Owner98 Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    This would be so Awesome!!! :O Especially at the Nordschleife or Spa for Multiclass Racing... Damn... :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Graphics engine update and VR support .... :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Bee

Bee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Well, that is my point exactly! It is a bloody game. So why does S3 treat it like a investment bank were they are not allowed to tell the community anything about the progress? Jeez, just asking for info on features and still they did not answer. Question is simple: will the earlier mentioned features be part of R3E or not. Both answers are fine by me. It does NOT make the game bad for me. I like it so far but im just curious...after waiting 6 years;). As i said earlier: im not critizing the game itself. I wonder why S3 keep silent appart from tracks and cars.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  20. Thomas Bienert

Thomas Bienert Esports / Events Beta tester

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yepp Bee something that a lot people here are missing that this game is one of the worst community games I've ever played. A lot people are asking for stuff like "better tyre engine" or "rain" but the game lacks more important things like
    • Filteroption for Server
    • Favourite Server
    • Ingame Chat
    • Private Messages in the portal - there is literally no point to get in contact with other drivers! it's impossible to add drivers over steam
    • Kick and ban function for dedicated server (!!!)
    • flagsystem
    Seriously, it's called multiplayer alpha since ages. But there is no problem to bring the 100th new content. And tbh the FR2 was just ridicolous. So it felt more like in insult. It's unbelievable hard to grow a community with all these features missing. Not only because you can't get in to contact with new drivers. No, the old drivers get really upset about it and lose their interesst in this game.

And then we can come to more accurat problems:
    • different qualifyingsettings for the servers
    • Gridchanges for a 2nd race
    • own penalty system (pitstart, time penalty, last place in grid
    • lag issues (!!!) - you can literally not drive an endurance race because you can never know if you get kicked by your connection
    on 3rd priority I would see things like:
    • tyre model - seriously -1.0 reartoe as standardsetup. I can't believe they didnt hotfix it right after the DTM Wintercup when Löhner, Dornieden etc where dominating the grid with this bug
    • tyre model - again why giving dragonic penalties when you just could let the tyres eat the dirt from the dust. Ppl would instantly stop cutting if the car is uncontrollable after hitting the dirt!
    • votingsystem - I mean that you can't start a vote for skipping a sessions is so 90s. You could even in the very first versions of counter strike skip maps and sessions!
    • reconnection - this stands for itself
    and then you can go for lower priorities like:
    • day and night
    • warmup lap
    • safety car
    • (weather)
    • exploding tyres, (blistering)
    [Edit] I forgot about one thing I could rage about every time I am trying to prepare for open wheel league race! An aggressionslider for the ai. It's nearly impossible to finish a race with the ai driving an OW and having them set between 110 and 120. Either you dominate them or you get kicked of the track

You always have to see what the game is made for. So I wouldn't be very sad if there is no weather at all. But seeing the next content update announced after they pushed one of the most needed patches in front of them and having all these big problems makes me feeling uncomfortable. And I am not alone with this. Our league in cooperation with some others leagues has a range of nearly 80 drivers and there is non which would say "this game is perfect as it is". All are at the same point. We love this game because it has so much potential. But we desperatly waiting for the big community patches with the knowledge that they potentialy never come.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016