Sector 3 and SimBin??? Offline mode???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DriftMachine, Oct 9, 2016.

1. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I guess no intel on the fate?

3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I want offline, too, since always. Now even more urgently. But I doubt we get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I hope there will be some sort of outline as to what is being planned with the simbin thing - i've been less inclined to continue investing time and money in a game when things like this happen since the crushing closure of Motor City Online way back when.

What a great game that was at the time.

5. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I got burned pretty hard with Simraceway. I owned nearly all the content for that game as well, and it was shut down for good. I liked that game because it had Daytona RC. I was not a fan of the physics of that game though. Need for Speed World, and SimRaceway I bought a lot the content these games had to offer. It would have been nice if some of these continued on as an offline, but instead they are dead and my money is gone. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dennis

Dennis Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Still quite a bit of content that I could purchase, but holding off on it until we find out whether or not that will be money down the toilet. If we buy it, we should be able to keep it and use it forever, right? o_O

7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    if the company dies , im sure that an offline EXE and all of the data that isnt on your pc will become available , for the game to work
    i for one i like that the game protects its data from tweakers and cheats , so i know when i lose a race it was fair and square unlike other games

Andi

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Dennis

Dennis Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm not willing to put any money on that assumption until I hear it from them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0

then dont

Andi

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    J-F already mentioned during a Qa that they would support their product even if the company would go under.
    he said just look at their older product Rce 07 for example still supported.
    I wouldn't worry about this too much.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Dennis

Dennis Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Umm, I've already indicated in my first post that I wasn't going to. :rolleyes:

Good to know.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I hope so. Considering I own all the content in the game.
    I still would like an offline version. Especially for those of whom bought any of the experiences.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  13. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    An offline mode would be good as even minor connection issues will results the game fail to load, all just for some offline races with the AI which is ridiculous.

There was a couple of months on 2016 where I couldn't play the game much due to connection issues. That is really unfair and inconvenient for paying customers, especially I had paid much more for R3E than I pay for AMS/AC/Pcars.

The possibility of the game servers shutting down had made me more hesitant to purchase more content. Then, the last few months of lack of communications does concerns me even more.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Is Race 07 really an example/answer to the concerns of many... If they would have stopped supporting Race 07 what would have been the fallout - online/multi-player? Race 07 can be played by the consumer regardless of continued online support, or an Internet connection (single/offline play). Yes, it is good that history has made some feel better with the long-term support issue but those that sunk money into Simraceway know first hand what can happen to an investment if tied to an external source. Granted, I'm leaning towards trust as I have purchased a lot of content, but the possibility of loosing what I have purchased at some point is growing slightly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    That is a very good example.

SRW had a mega sale and I fell for it. I got nearly everything. Then 6 months or so later they shut down for good. Man did I feel stupid for that.

16. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    That is my concern with the game. If the R3E servers shut down tomorrow, all the content I bought is gone while I still can return back to Race 07 just fine even the servers shut down.

Along with the concerns of how internet dependent the game is, it can be really difficult to launch the game if your connection is spotty and the game will kick you out if you disconnect. I am quite concern with whether I can play this game in years to come.

R3E is great, for different reasons than other games I enjoy. I hope I still can play the game years to come like many other games in my library.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    FYI, all the game files are easy to find. Its not protected. And the last beta file I had is still playable, unlike the open beta after the patch.

Most likely there is no crack, because a cracking team dont see this game worth taking the effort to crack. Not because it is protected. You can't stop a determined hacker.

18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    If there are people that play a game, there will be people that try to hack the game.

And RaceRoom is the only sim that has never had any known hacks, cheats, or stolen content that I am aware of. Perhaps iRacing is another since they use a similar system. Any other sim and they have all been hacked apart or cheated, or have had their content stolen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I would imagine that a majority of these other games that have been hacked have still turned a profit for the developer / publisher. People will try to cheat, hack or steal anything that isnt nailed down but if all the developers / publishers had the same model as s3s then you would not own any content on your pc and everything would be online. I think that opens up an even bigger can of worms. For example a lot of accounting programs are going online / cloud only, there is certainly a lot of potential to theft of sensitive information, but admittedly my knowledge on this type of technology is pretty damn basic.
    At the end of the day i believe that if you pay for something you should have access to it when you want and if you can't access it due to it being online only and their are server or other issues then what is the point of paying for it.
    If it was a business to business transaction and there were the type of issues that have been happening here over the last few days there would be repurcussions.
    I think i can safely say that raceroom is my all time favourite sim but the fact that i cant play it when i want because of some issue occurring half way around the world doesn't cut it with me.
    And it isn't with others going by the amount of frustrated and angry consumers here. That in itself will be doing the game and s3s damage. People are quick to criticise but not so quick to offer their thanks or appreciation and in the world we live in now word gets around instantaneously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Well, I agree with you in the sense that I really despise 'always online' DRM. I dont think it benefits the consumer at all, and as you say, you dont 'own' the product. Nevermind when servers are down, you dont really have access to what you paid for.

That said, for an online focused racing game, it does have its merits.

Take leaderboards for instance. What racing game with leaderboads HAS hacked/cheated times? All of them. Every single one. Which game does not have hacked times? RR doesnt. All the leaderboard times were made by virtue of being fast, or using some setup exploit that gets you up there.

For this reason, it makes the competition more fair. Even if there is plenty of frustration to go along with this system. :p