Any way to achieve more anti-aliasing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goldtop, Jul 16, 2015.

1. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Experiment with the LOD bias setting. The general advice for SGSSAA is...

2xSGSSAA - LOD bias -0.500
    4xSGSSAA - LOD bias -1.000

So try -1.000 or -1.125 and see how it looks. A larger negative LOD bias reduces the blurriness but comes with a performance hit.

2. RasmusRaazer

RasmusRaazer Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I am already with -0.750 but it is still very blurred. Or well not so blurred that i would need sharpening, but the sweetFX LumaSharpen makes it crisper than a Swiss knife :D

It looks correctly. Did you include the shaders folder?
    If yes, try hitting the scroll lock button to see if it really doesn't work. Of course you have to do that without the game active.

3. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna leave it as my game looks fine without it and I'll end up messing things up.

4. RasmusRaazer

RasmusRaazer Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    This "injecting into DirectX" things are a little beasty... If you are happy, it's nice. Never ruin a running thing :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I tried @Robert Gerke settings he posted (thanks for that sir) and indeed the game looked great - very lifelike as far as smooth edges go. But I ended up seeing some stuttering (5760x1080 res) so after fooling around some more with the inspector, I uninstalled it and went back to 8x AA in game. It works well and my FPS stays at 60 (or looks like at least) 100% of the time.

Basically I agree with you, i'm surte with enough tweaking i could find a better setting that runs smooth but i'm trying to get away from spending my valuable gaming time tweaking settings all the time

6. RasmusRaazer

RasmusRaazer Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    For me: 2x MSAA + 2x SGSSAA looks better than 8x MSAA alone. MSAA doesn't effect Transparent Objects. So if you wanna give it a go, take my Inspector settings and simply put both on 2x.

But I have to agree with you: I spend more time tweaking settings than actually driving.
    For me it is fun to see the difference between settings und getting the perfekt image :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I was also running 2x MSAA + 2x SGSSAA and LOD bias -0.500 for a while, for me it definately looks better than 8x MSAA alone, mainly because it cures much of the shadow flicker. I think it had roughly the same impact on performance as 8x MSAA.

Now I've been running 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSA and LOD bias -1.000, shadows medium, for a surprisingly long period of time. These settings are really, really sweet, but perhaps it's time to start tweaking again soon! :D

8. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I'm seeing great results with the settings @RasmusRaazer posted for Antialiasing setting "4x (4x Multisampling)" and Antialiasing Transparency Supersampling "4x Sparse Grid Supersampling", the cars look fantastic!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I did a complete reinstall of Windows last night, and when I set up everything from scratch I did of course experiment with all settings again. What I discovered:

1. I used to run 4x MSAA and 4x SGSSAA. This looks nice and smooth, but the image is very blurry at 1080p, at least on my 55" UHD screen, even with LOD bias -1.0. Might not be so blurry on a smaller screen, though. But that doesn't help me a bit.

For me, the main reason for using SGSSAA is getting rid of that awful shadow flicker.

So even though I know it's not "correct", I tried 8xQ MSAA and 2x SGSSAA. The image is so much sharper, textures are much more detailed, and shadow flicker is almost gone. Good enough for me, at least. In addition, this is far less resource demanding, so I can run both shadows and reflections on high and still get a very consistent 60 fps, even with a full grid. Some elements, like fences, paddocks and crowd, can still flicker a little bit at times, but that's hardly noticable when driving faster than 10 km/h...

8xQ MSAA and 8x SGSSA looks good, but is too heavy on my system.

The screen's native 3840x2140 60p also looks good, but is also way too heavy on the system.

I tried different settings for anisotropic filtering, but this didn't have any noticable impacts on fps, so I set it to 16x just to be sure I'm getting the best quality.

As for line gamma, I'm not sure if it really makes any difference, but enabled it anyway.

Conclusion: 8xQ MSAA + 2x SGSSAA, LOD bias -0.5, 16x anisotropic filtering. :)

2. I set the HDMI RGB output in the Nvidia driver to "full" instead of the default "normal". Wow! Black is now actually black, instead of dull grey. The image is now much, much more lifelike and vibrant.

3. Microstuttering with inconsistent frame times in AC was probably caused by wrong RAM timing and clock frequency set in BIOS. Set it all to "auto" and problem gone, as far as I can see. A bit embarrassing, but I had just used the default settings in BIOS instead of checking that everything was set up correctly. The complete reinstall of Windows may have helped as well, but that alone didn't solve it for me.

Using Nvidia driver version 361.91, as this seems to be very stable and fast on my system. Probably nothing wrong with the newer ones, but I had some bad luck with the ones following this one, so I just decided to stick with this, as I know for sure it works well for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    The image is probably blurry from running the game at 1920x1080 even though you have a 3840x2160 screen. Running anything at a resolution below what your monitor/screen natively runs at is always bound to give you a blurred image, or just lower general quality.

You may be able to get away with running the game at your native resolution, granted you may have to turn a few things like shadows and the reflections much lower than max. And if you dont use any other AA from Nvidia Inspector or the in game AA. Although 2x in game may not pose too much added stress.

Of course you may have already tried this :p

Interesting finding about the SGSS w/ qMSAA though. Might have to dink around with AA myself sometime and see how it improves the image. Havent really found myself wanting to test a ton of settings in Inspector though and tediously try to measure the benefits of each different method lol

11. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I often annoy myself because from time to time I find myself spending a whole evening just fiddling with settings like these, instead of racing. :oops: And now I've tested them all, so that you won't have to... :cool:

Of course, running a lower resolution than the native adds to the blurriness of the image. No doubt. But when comparing to other options, 4x SGSSAA is the options that adds the most blurring, by far. Even FXAA isn't anywhere near as blurry as 4x SGSSAA. Running at native resolution, I still need a little AA, and then I'll have to sacrifice both shadows and a lot of other stuff to get a steady 60 fps. So I decided I'll be better off running at 1080p with proper AA.

After even more trial and error, I also discovered that for me, choosing "enhance" instead of "override" application settings yields a slightly better framerate, unknown why. (But the AA settings in R3E needs to be set to at least 2x MSAA. If you turn AA completely off in the game menu, the settings from Nvidia Inspector won't work at all.)

I also see that the in-game enabled FXAA is way more blurry and pixelating than the driver enabled FXAA. Using the in-game FXAA is a no-go for me, but activating the driver enabled version with Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia control panel actually looks quite good, and costs litarally no fps. Yeah, I know that many people hate FXAA, so don't flame me. This is just my personal opinion.

So now I'm running 8xQ MSAA, 2x SGSSAA, FXAA, adaptive vsync. Looks fantastic on my screen, and is very light on the GPU compared to most other options. Could even use these settings with 4x MSAA, as long as I'm using FXAA. But the increase in GPU usage isn't huge from 4x to 8xQ, so as long as I'm getting good enough framerate I'm using 8xQ. The difference in image quality is marginal though. And as mentioned, the driver enabled FXAA is a whole different ballpark than the in-game enabled one.

Shadows high, mirrors high, reflections low (because high doesn't look good either, so I might as well save the fps). Everything runs at 60 fps steady, even in the rear of the pack on Nordschleife with 47 enemies. (The VLN and 24h layouts are for some reason fps monsters once you add enemies to them, but neither the GPU nor the CPU seems to be maxing out. It's like this even with no AA at all, so the problem probably lies somewhere else than the AA settings. Still getting 50-55 fps in the back of the pack there as well though, so it's not like it's unplayable. Rises to a steady 60 fps once the field has spread out a bit.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, I seem to recall someone mentioning this to me a while back when I tried to get AA from Inspector to work with the game. I recall fiddling with it and having no idea why the settings werent working properly, and then just gave up. Inspector is a great tool, but I sure struggle with some of the settings on occasion. :p

I use FXAA in a number of games too. Some seem a bit too blurry with it, while others I dont notice it at all and it usually uses a lot less resources than other forms of AA, so I can live with it just fine. Dont use it in RaceRoom though since 2x MSAA doesnt kill frame rate for me, and I am otherwise happy with how the game looks.

Very interesting to hear about what settings you have found to work well for you though. Wouldnt have thought that playing at a lower resolution and applying a lot of AA would be satisfactory. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testing ;)

Always interesting to me how people have have quite different experiences in the same game, given similar hardware. I have an i5 4670k and used to use a gtx 660 (up until a few months ago), and could max all the settings (at 1080p) apart from AA, car reflections, and shadows and would get 80-110fps on all tracks, even with AI. Not sure why you would be dipping down even though your cpu and gpu arent being maxed out. Perhaps it is because of the AA in Inspector you use that slogs down the gpu a bit, since I only ever used in game AA.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I've always been a low-resolution-high-AA kind of guy. Don't know why, it's just easier on my eyes. :)

It's a bit strange, and it's only the VLN and 24H layout of Nords that does this, and only with AI on the track. I can run the same number of AI on the regular Nordschleife without any framerate issues at all. It might be because I'm running shadows=high, which is known to kill the framerate in some settings. Must test this tonight, if the game is back up running... :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Ingame 8xAA

[​IMG]

Ingame 4xAA + NV Inspector 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA + LOD Bias -1.000

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    @Andy would these settings help in VR? I have never fooled with Nvidia settings so I am very green on this stuff.

16. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
  17. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I've been using 1x2 supersampling + 4x MSAA for a few days now. It's not quite as nice as other options, but still very good looking, no excessive shadow flicker - and super easy on the GPU.

18. Karl Heinz Kluth

Karl Heinz Kluth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hello, my first post ...
    DSR also seems to be a good way to get rid of the the stairs in the white lines. When I use DSR, the graphic is ok, but ingame textboxes, menus, etc., are greatly scaled down due to the resolution. With this reduced representation i have to live, right?

Regards
    KHK

19. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    i play at 8k DsR (4k native)and most of aliasing is gone.
    the only one trouble is many crash and massive strange flickering in the menu.
    look at my post in support.

20. Karl Heinz Kluth

Karl Heinz Kluth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    tried nearly all grafic settings, but in my case it seems that nvidia inspector he does not accept the settings. Grafic isĀ“still ugly...take a look at the screenshot...the white lines and the background in whole. Cockpit looks fine, but the rest is still ugly.

Attached Files: