Sector 3 and SimBin??? Offline mode???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DriftMachine, Oct 9, 2016.

1. pargiNOS

pargiNOS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Always online for the free content users, its fine, but when i purchase something, give me a code a password or something else that verifies that i bought that item, so i can use it whenever i want.
    I dont know its just an example that maybe its not doable but there must be a way. So everyone will be happy, customers, developers and those who care about leader boards.

I just use RR for racing at RD club events but if my internet is down for some reason or the servers are down for another reason, i want to be able to practice and to enjoy what i pay and pay it enough!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Good well balanced points Nate. I like the way you beta testers here can be respectful to all points of view and admit where rr could be better as well as espouse the positives of it at the same time. I never race online so from my point of view leaderboard times aren't relevant but i may be in the minority here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Very anecdotal but every time I've participated in the competitions and look at the numbers I would say you are not, comparing leaderboard figures to Steamspy figures most people who play, do so single player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I think I completely agree with you from that perspective. From a single player perspective, always online does not make a lot of sense to me.

It really only makes sense to me from that MP perspective, where player vs player can be abused if these sorts of systems werent in place.

I dont have a lot of insight to the business decisions... so hashing out thoughts on the forum here is as good as it gets for me :p Lots of nice chaps out there to discuss the positives or shortcomings with however. And I will still maintain that the RaceRoom community here is one of the nicer, and well meaning communities in sim racing. Everyone here does just want a better experience and want to see things improve. Even if it comes at the cost of complaining about some of the less than stellar 'features' of the game.

Frankly though, all the connection errors are always a bother to everyone. And I do also wish that this could somehow be improved. Although I dont know much from a technical aspect on why these problems happen, or potential solutions. So hopefully the devs can do something about it...

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    wow , ok ;yes the game files are in steam but in my understanding there are many files that you connect to once you are online , that way there isnt a way to hack in and change values etc thus preventing cheating race wise ; and due to this even if you crack open the packages you would have to do endless modding work to have a functional game , so both studio and end user protected

Andi

6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Here here

7. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    While I certainly don't want to give anyone ideas it would probably not be the hardest thing in the world to spoof timings etc if someone were so inclined. I seem to recall iRacing having trouble with it at some point but as always my memory is not to be trusted. :)

But I do think you're right that people just can't be bothered to crack and rip the tracks/cars because it's more work then doing the same using another title, and if you're ripping off someone's work chances are you're not really interested in doing things the hard way. :)

8. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I guess you miss the part where I said the only copy of RaceRoom I can play is the Closed Beta copy. I have purchased all the content in this game. I feel I have the right to play offline. Especially those expereince packs which are games by themselves.

If Andi Goodwin hadn't made a post "all report in" when he first became a beta tester, I would have never lost my beta status. Then I would have never copied the directory over before patch to remove it was applied. So thanks for getting me booted. I inadvertently found a way to play offline.

9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
  10. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Makes me wonder why they see R3E as an e-sports platform given that very few people are playing it, and those that do are mainly playing single player.

11. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I'd wager because of things like Hockenheim recently. Esports is a lot easier to sell to manufacturers then "videogames". Also it's probably a niche where there's bigger room for growth. But yeah, ideally it doesn't come at a cost to the single-player experience because that's cutting off your bread and butter.

12. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for letting us know that you are still connecting to beta servers regardless of your removal for sheer inactivity.
    Now please stop breaching the NDA you signed by telling people stories of how Andi does a great job at attempting to keep the team of volunteer testers focused and active.

edit: nope, no trace of your IP since 30th October in the beta, not sure what you are talking about then.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  13. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    wow not going to say much , just the post i made , the all report in wasnt when i joined as a tester it was about 5 years after that fact ; my NDA being signed firstly in 2011

i have no idea what your problem is , but now i will take your post very differently

Andi

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Just reporting in Andi ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    So, people clamor for competition to iRacing. Want more structured online. Want actual competitions with real prizes...

And then people shut down the concept before it even becomes implemented :p (jk here)

But more seriously, perhaps they see a more well structured MP experience as the future of the genre. People that do play MP want this to some extent. And the real world tie ins for prizes is a pretty neat idea. I see nothing wrong with that. Doesnt mean the single player stuff is going to be removed. :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    @nate you forgot to check in before posting !!!!:mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I get screwed over because I have a job. Hated on because I like to drift. Then shamed by the people I gave my hard earned money to. I have sold more content than I have bought, yet somehow I feel it means absolutely nothing......... And now you guys hate me too. I guess that is what loyalty to you guys since 2009 gets me.

I am pretty sure that NDA was null in void the moment I was booted from the program.
    I was active a week prior to getting kicked, and active the day of getting kicked.

I was just working on gathering data for you guys but I have a feeling that would be wasted efforts. Thanks for making me more depressed than I already am.

I feel I am victim here. I can see by all the upvotes for your insulting post to me I am truly hated. I guess people get off on hurting other's feelings. I guess the next thing is to bann me. Not that I want to be banned, but it seem to be how things go after I have bought all the content.

FYI that PC is offline..... That is why you dont see any new connection from me on the beta servers. Probably should keep that to myself. I wish I could do the same to the open file since its more up to date, but my av dont block that one.
    I have heard Sector3 is closing this game like SRW soon. Considering I have about $300 or so into this game I am worried. I am the bad guy for caring.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    My time card burned up over the slave labor J-F put us through earlier on before the hotfix :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Matt B

Matt B Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Have you heard Simraceway is back up and running again? True story. Still not at good as RR, but it's risen from the ashes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    What is this suppose to mean?
    Your link is to a legal team. Seems like a threat.

That's good news, and yes it's not as good as RaceRoom. It's actually an Rfactor based game.
    Reinstalling now. Thanks.