News Update on server problems

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Nov 18, 2016.

1. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    All I'm taking away from this is that I'm glad I'm nothing to do with RD and just play for fun, when I can, on public servers, or in the solo competitions or single player.
    RD people appear from this thread to be impatient whiners.

Get your lawyers on that.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. pargiNOS

pargiNOS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    You are way off topic.
    But if you want an answer to your off topic blah blah blah some people want quality over quantity, if because i want to race with quality makes me an impatient whiner then yes i am one.
    RD club races like so many other private clubs is about racing with rules and sportsmanship while having fun.
    Thats why S3 members participating. Maybe they are impatient whiners too. :)
    I rest my case!

Sorry for the off topic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. LTC Mike

LTC Mike Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Maybe just as an idea: how about if S3S asks the community to help with fixing the isues. They could join by themself one ore more MP races hosted by RD and others to check live what's going on, when the invisible bug and other things start to occur. Maybe it has something to do with netcode handling in or over different networks that has to be hunted down and that they couldn't see when only looking at their own infrastrucuture or by just using their beta testers crew? Maybe S3S could make a special MP testing module that delivers live data of different aspects to the devs?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That's what happened in the past few days, we as well as several members of the dev team have been joining public servers to gather data regarding the invisibility issue. What can be a great help regarding mp is if dedi hosts post the server log files of sessions that were glitched. But afaik they have already got a number of those and are using them to find the reason and a fix for the bug.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  5. Pfalzdriver

Pfalzdriver Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Chris, but again there is a lill bad taste on my side. I've kindly asked at Post #93 if the community can help out with submitting log files, and noone even cared to answer that. So I thought, ok not necessary.

Over a hundred posts l8r and a complete week later you're telling us those logs would/could be helpful?! Really?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  6. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    We have several beta testers and devs who do race with us, nor are RD club members whiners. What is undeniable is that since the big update we have not managed to have a single race without lagging cars causing chaos. As a club we are heading into our busiest period, new members join us and it is not a great recommendation when they witness all the problems with the game.
    Really not whining but very frustrated by it all, for the people who are managing to enjoy mp racing at the moment I'm happy for you and long may it continue. For those of us who are having real difficulties since an update that we all wanted and promised so much, the disappointment is palpable.
    For a game that is moving in an e-sports direction I would have thought that stability would have been a major priority.
    And of course internet forums are where we can come to express and exchange our views and experience which at the moment regarding R3E isn't the best .

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm not here to monitor each single post or give people a warm feeling, so I'm sorry if what I'm saying isn't good enough for you. Plus in that one you were specifically addressing Hannes, and usually I don't answer posts directed at (one of) the devs, because I am not a dev.

Regarding the logs: Mind reading the sentence after the one you quoted. Afaik there wasn't a call for logs on this issue as they have already received a number of those. General advice: If you host a dedi and there's sth going wrong, post a log or two in the community section describing the issue, that can never hurt and might be helpful.

And just a personal comment: Maybe it is a language barrier thing, but when you use phrases like "bad/wrong again" or make your comments sounds all shocked by the fact that I (or any one of us testers) was wrong or didn't have a satisfying answer, it doesn't come across particularly nice. Now, as I've stated above, I don't get offended by that, it just comes across a bit ungrateful. F.e. your comment #182, I was just pointing out that there was an issue that might have had an influence on your internet connection's performance (I'm not a Telekom customer either, and yet I was feeling the effects. There's loads of things going on in the wake of a major outage like the one the Telekom had and as it is them who own and maintain most of the DSL infrastructure it is not impossible to be affected by things on their end even if you're not a direct client.) Yet your comment sounded like I should have known that you're not a Telekom customer and that my comment was somehow inadequate.

But that's all we're doing here, making suggestions and giving hints at possible causes and sollutions in an attempt to help people. We testers are not staff, we don't get paid or are in any other way obliged to solve people's issues, we're just sharing our experiences and what we've learned to try and help people find a sollution for problems that arise. If that's not good enough for you, I recommend to address all inquiries at the devs.

8. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Sry, but right now I'm a lill tired of this, no offense!

Regarding the Telekom-Topic, this was the 2nd time there was the unspoken allegation the problem is on our/my side. First time the use of the TS-Overlay was responsible, now Telekom. Though there werent any problems at all, especially with the TS-Overlay before the latest update.

There was a lot of grumble for the last two weeks in this thread, and I've always tried to stay objective, naming the problems, provided logs, even made a video which showed what is going on, although I'm not really happy bout the situation too. But I know you and yout testing pals cant offer a solution right now, so there is no need for abusing language to your direction. There is already enough of that throughout some threads, and not helpful at all.

But back to Telekom. Because this was the 2nd time I had the feeling someone is telling me to check for problems on my end of the line, I felt myself a lill patronized adressed. And if that happens, I'm gettin a lill snippy myself.

OK, to get (maybe) something useful out of this post, is there a reason R3E is creating more and more folders on my HDD?
    Image2.jpg
    Is it supposed to be this way? I have to admit, I've reinstalled R3E once. Didnt check this out myself, but this looks like those new folders appeared after an update was made.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just as closing comment on this, I didn't mean to make it sound like it is your fault or an issue caused by you, if an ISP is having internet connection issues then that is not the users fault of course. I was just mentioning that that Telekom issue had an influence on my connection, so from my pov it wasn't beyond reason to take that into consideration. Do those timeout/DNS errors (12007 and 12002) still occur on your end? Cause for me they don't happen anymore.

As far as I followed that TS-thing, wasn't that about a crash that happened? What Hannes did was having a look at the dump file and mentioning what caused the crash. Again, that is not meant to imply that it is your fault or not sth that might be caused by the game, he was just asking if you tried without TS so he would know for sure if there is an issue in respect to TS(overlays) that they should look into.

Afaik those additional folders are created by/for the dedi app. The game itself should not create new folders over and over. But I think that when there is a new version of the dedi app it creates a new folder. So the last one should be the one created by the latest dedi app. Check inside the older ones, there should only be a couple logs and such in there, no controller profiles and such.

Are you moving the dedi app to a folder outside the steam folder to which it gets downloaded? Cause I think if you do that it has to create a new folder so the gameinstalldir.ini file contains the correct path.

10. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    So, I've been doing substantial amount of testing since the update on various servers from official R3E to what I believe to be servers hosted from home, all with varying numbers of players from 2 to 20+.

I've seen 1 problem which appeared to be a sync issue on a non-official server and 1 issue which appeared to be a "rule preset" problem.

The "Rule-preset" is known and a solution is being made ready as far as I'm aware.

The apparent sync issue (if this is the actual problem) is also known to the devs, they are working on it, I don't know any more than that, it could be personal hardware related, it could be server host hardware related as it wasn't an official server or it could be one of a million other things.

Whatever the reason, I'm certain the devs are doing their best to rectify the problem.

One thing I personally have noticed is that not every problem is affecting every user, the game is playable on some fairly old hardware, the sheer scope of what the game is compatible on not to mention player locations, ISPs and a whole host of other variables I haven't thought of, is bound to cause problems and headaches.

I've also been hearing/reading that various league organisers that are reporting problems are also saying that it tends to be the same people/individuals having those problems which is also something else to think about.

Laying into each other isn't going to make these problems go away though.

@Christian Göpfert stop winding people up! :D

11. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Cant tell ya right now, because I've decided to stop starting R3E till the MP-issues are solved. But I can tell you, two of my racing pals are still (ongoing) complaining about 12002s via WhatsApp, the amount of those complains dropped though. :)
    An understandable question. But like I've anwered, R3E was working without the TS-Overlay afterwards, like it did the thousand times before. But I mentioned too, another pal of mine had the same problems, without using any TS-plugin at all.
    OK, so I guess the "old ones" can be deleted. Just did some quick checking though. The server logs of last mondays session which I posted a couple of posts ago, are still within the folder "7", within the newest one are empty folders named "ReplayData," "TimeAttack" and "UserData". Imho this folder belongs to R3E and not to RDS. :)
    Nope, its located correctly under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RaceRoom Dedicated Server".
    This file is present, but it points to GameInstallDir=C:\Windows\system32. Now I'm a little bit confused myself, to be honest. :)

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just to be sure: I assume that you run both the game and the dedi on this machine?
    Yep. I mean you can delete all of them (except the first one of course, this should be the one your game stuff is in) if they are clearly not used by the game. The dedi app will re-create the one it needs.
    Best way to tell is either looking inside the installdir.ini or checking the userdata folder content, see following.
    Those folders belong in the dedi folder, check the very first folder (the blue one) and compare the content. You can spot a dedi folder by what's inside the userdata folder, which should only contain the dedi-log folder and no controller profiles and other files related to the game. Also, dedi folders don't contain the folders called "Browserdata" and "Portaldownloads".
    Errr, that's a new one, haven't heard of that till now. Which ini file was that in, the one from the very last folder? I'm not sure but I think it should point to some \AppData\Local\Temp\ folder that is created when the dedi gets started, but I'm really not certain. But Windows\system32 does sound odd indeed...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Pfalzdriver

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Confirmed :)
    Yep, only the one from the latest folder. All other GameInstallDir.inis contain a legit path to a tempory folder, e.g. "GameInstallDir=C:\Users\[Yes, Thats me]\AppData\Local\Temp\4d73bea4-c3fa-48c2-af8a-a3acd998dbec\11.0.388.148991\Game"

Only this latest created folder contains this weird entry pointing to system32.
    K, tx. So I know now which ones can be wiped. :)

14. Rui Paiva

Rui Paiva Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Update : problems still occurs... And like one said before : " before the patch we could play normal , now we don't". I confirm it.

One thing I notice is that in practice and qualify every think seems OK, the cars with stable pings, fluid. But when the race starts its hell.
    You start to see in the grid some cars blinking, and with huge changes in ping, from 40 to 900. Cars that in the practise and qualify had no problems.
    Then when the race stars it's Caos, cars disappearing and appearing suddenly in the corner, the top bar going crazy, changing positions everywere even when you are in the same position.

Well that's what's happening to me and my team mates. I dont have a reason to lie.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Stede

Stede Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Same here...
    During Training and Qualifying everythings seems ok, but when Race starts all is going crazy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Nobody thinks you are. It's happening to a number of people.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, maybe I don't remember that right, but wasn't there a similar problem during the first roll-out of the Garage-Phase last year which leads to a rollback and removal of that phase with a following patch ?

18. DSky

DSky Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Btw guys, the game is almost 4 years old now, 4 YEARS!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    If you belong to the inner circle of Bram's friends, you can be as unsportsmanlike you want. Those who publicly complain about it are banned. Simples. (Off the topic, I know...)

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Actually that's great! ;) Hoping for some more years!:D