Oculus Rift Support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by balu, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Ok so it seems there must have been an update to make any Vive Steam game work on the Rift and I was unaware of that happening as I have been away from all gaming & VR for several months. The other trickier consideration was that HTC Vive continued support for DX9 while Oculus ceased support quite some time ago and all apps had to be at minimum DX11 to work. The only exceptions have been few titles like Live For Speed and Euro Truck Sim 2 where the devs of those titles added code to force the Oculus drivers to work in VR. I really hope you guys are right but I am doubtful.

2. darthskids

darthskids New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check it out on youtube. From the beginning of august, this guy is using a rift cv1 and the playstation move controllers to play steam vr room scale games.

I've been playing assetto corsa on my vive despite it only being made to work with the rift for quite awhile now. The VR goggles aren't any different than wheels or pedals or other peripherals, once there's a driver written for them for the steam vr api then they will work with just about every game since the game only talks to the steam vr thingy and doesn't care which headset is connected.

3. darthskids

darthskids New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes they would have to upgrade to directx11 for vr support, same way its required for iracing, ac, and how studio 397 says they are planning to add support to get it in rf2.

4. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Not really sure they really need to upgrade to DX11, LFS made it work

You can even bypass an HMD check if they would lock the game to vive only like with GoogleVR : https://github.com/Shockfire/FakeVive

5. Harry Fuchs

Harry Fuchs New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Is there a chance to have VR Suport until Chrismas? They say Q4 2016 is possible for a suport.

6. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    if i remember correctly, last year they released a patch just before christmas... 23rd or 24th... they said a "maybe" on VR support in december's patch ... fingers crossed... havent played the game since may, when my cv1 arrived...

• Like Like x 3
  7. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I think with the effort S3S must be putting into bug-squashing with the November patch that a new December update that includes VR is probably unlikely.

It always makes sense to fix bugs and issues first and add new features later

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Have to agree here. Raceroom has been my "go-to" for many months until I discovered Oculus. Since then my support has been with the 'other' sim. I prefer RR for the realism but the immersion of VR has pushed me elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Update came down today I see but no VR yet, luckily Assetto is awesome using Oculus Rift with the new Porsche Packs and the older models are absolutely brutal and a blast to race in VR !

I remain a bit doubtful that RaceRoom will be Rift compatible due to the DX issues - it will take extra work in programming to overcome that and it would be nice to hear from the devs on it.

10. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    As they showed it already in the dev stream, the initial setup of dx9/dx11 handshake should be done.

Imo the performance will be the greater issue. There are no decent features in dx9 that aid rendering in stereo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nockitsch is back

Nockitsch is back Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Ok Sector 3, i'm ready sitting in my chair for the whole next week watching through some weird glasses...you can deploy our christmas gift now :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ Dame you now you have me waiting :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  13. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Finally get to try this game now it has VR, a few things though anyone know what the aspect ration & resolution should be? The image is a bit distorted in my rift. Also is there a way to have soft lock enabled?

14. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    The resolution and aspect ratio in RRRE settings is only used on a 2D screen as VR resolution is fixed.

15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    How do we get ASW to work? Does it work automatically in R3E?
    I am having intense stuttering, not in the other SIM, only in R3E.

16. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    - in the menus: it seems normal in oculus, mine is stuttering too in menus, in the car it is perfect
    - in the car: try to delete your old graphics settings file, and start from 0, dont mess with resolution , fov and other, aspect ratio and vsync, just leave them default, depending your hardware, try to reduce the number behind the vr parametr in the starting line (for gtx 1070 i use 2.0, it runs well)

17. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, it is new install in my new VR able PC, so no issue with Pre existing settings.
    Funny thing, this morning everything works great, same as in other SIM.
    The mysterious ways of VR I guess. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. HoiHman

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Did another test this morning with and without Hyperthreadig enabled.

System specs: I7 4770K @4300Hz & GTX 1080
    Brands Hatch : 23 cars, 17th position, -VR 2.5 medium settings

HT enabled : 30-33 fps at the start
    HT disabled: 45 fps (ASW) at the start

ASW is pretty smooth but.... A lap around Macau makes the short commings of ASW all too obvious.

19. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    that difference is just soo high, it is almost 50 percent more fps....hope they will try to move raceroom to unreal engine too... (not as im a big fun of unreal engine, but much better optimized i guess to this hardware generation)

20. HoiHman

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1