Ai is too aggressive in my opinion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frodesa, Feb 9, 2017.

1. frodesa

frodesa New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I tried R3E for first time in a while and I am not happy with latest version of AI. It reminds me of the AI in Project cars, that is to say too aggressive and a lack of situational awareness. I often get hit by cars hiting me while braking and sometimes I am being pushed off the road. The previous version was great in my opinion, so I am disapointed with the new version. Are there anything I can do to improve my experience though?

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Agree, the recent update screwed something up. I've been hit more in the last week than the last 3 months.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Lower the difficulty level ;) The AI doesn't delay the hole field anymore. They fight better and are now able to overtake properly so I had to reduce the difficulty from 115 to 112 on Nordschleife.
    I like it very much. Just one thing bothers me: The AI isn't resolute enough when overtaking on straights. Often when one gets faster then the other one in the slipstream and tries to overtake the AI than hesitates for a moment , looses the momentum and fails to make the pass done.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. frodesa

frodesa New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    But if I lower the difficulty Level i take it that the AI will just drive slower, but I want them to drive less aggressive. Maybe an aggression slider is the solution.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ranger

Ranger New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm using adaptive AI which was outstanding and competitive before the latest update. No need to use the difficulty setting when adaptive worked so well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I love the new AI and it's aggressivenes. Fast humans in an online race won't wave you through either and they as well will hit you when you brake too early. As suggested before, just lower the settings, till it suits you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried deleting your old Adaptive AI file then starting afresh? I rarely compete with robots but if you brake to early you'll get whacked, reaction time at speed equals zero, so maybe turn AI level down until you can maintain a competitive lap time repeatedly (within a couple tenths). I presume seeing as the AI know when to attack, if the car ahead is slow or offline that they also realize that offline in a fast corner can result in earlier/harder braking?
    Who wants to play with robots anyway, get yourself in multiplayer and learn a craft and not a system! ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I both agree and disagree, heh. The AI is damned good for GTs and TCs I find, but I do agree that their aggressiveness and willingness to go for a gap no matter how small does not always translate well into the open-wheelers. What in a GT3 translates to a quick slam in the FFB and a thud making me grin thinking "Nice try fucker" results in a jostle and a tire squeal in a FR3 that makes me think something isn't quite right in this race, why's the marshals sleeping on the job? An aggression slider could be the answer, certainly helps with rF2 and AMS when going from different disciplines.

Overall I'm very happy with the direction the AI has taken though, for the official series featured the AI makes sense and is pretty damned good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I had to turn of Adaptive and go back to set the level and it took some time to find a good one but I found it to suit me to have AI some where between 100-110 and yes some AI seem agresive some seem over protective and back of..... AI with temper I love it! :p

Did a 30 min 23Ai car DTM race on Hockenheim and I had to fight for my position, I was third and tailgating one AI for a couple laps tryed to overtake him at the 180 corner end of backstraight and that AI was well aware of me protected his line and avoided me when I got to close trying to overtake him. Then finaly a couple laps later I got a litle break pushed him maby litle to agresive out of his line but got past him. :p
    And WooW if I didn't know it better but I gues I pised him off LOL o_O, for the next lap he did exactly same maneuver back on me, agresivly not as nice driving like he done all laps before and he T-boned me out of my line whent past and left me in the dust. :eek:
    I was like WTF a AI with a atitude.. :) cooool I LOVE it and to be fair I would expect any other real person might get pist to get pushed out of your line and not saying its ok to retaliate I shore never rataliate but a more agresive aproah against that driver rest of the race could be expected from anyone. :p
    I mean tempered driver is alowed, so I cant see any thing but yeeeiii love the AI much better :);)

Edit: They drive to win not to pemper you :p

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    DO NOT IMPROVE ADAPTIVE AI ANYMORE!

AI with attitude today.
    Skynet Tommorow.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    R3E's AI became self aware on August 29 1997 and began work on what later became known as the collision physics that makes a players car loose control when brake-checked by the AI Skynet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    But if they are slower the Ai won't into situations so easy where they stick their noses into the corner and push you offtrack.
    To be honest it took me some races to adapt myself to the new "level of aggression" but now I really like it.
    Anyway, a aggression slider would help the AI to suit everyone's taste.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Might not be by as much as you think.
    Depending on the combo, there can be as little as one or two tenths of a seconds difference between AI levels.
    But lowering it can rob them of some grip, making them less aggressive in the corners.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    RR-players in Kunos forums repeatedly duisucss this, too. I posted today this, which sums up my view on the "too aggressive AI". But before the quote I reitertate that I think the new AI is extremely good, and I like it to have fangs and claws now - do not pull them!

Quote :

Last night I drove some cars that I usually do not drive in RR, namely Radicals and Mirages. What I found was a change in the perceived incidents on track, especially between me and the AI. It seems I had far more contacts and issues, spinouts. I also was overtaken far more often.

Why is this?

I think it is that these cars are more difficult to drive in that they accelerate faster and brake more aggressively, which makes it more difficult to drive a clean lap, because you simply have shorter reaction times to get your various timings right, but plenty of invitations to brake too early, too soft, too hard. Evertyhing happens a bit faster, and thus I had to realise that I simply suck at driving these cars as "competent" as I can drive the more forgiving GT3, DTM, Classic Touring cars and so forth. The latter are tamer, and that suits my skills.

I think this may explain to some degree why players can have so different perceptions of whether the AI is good or not. St3fan originally referred to Radicals as well, me replied on basis of experience with the Audi TT RS VLN, DTM2016 and Touring Classics and GT3 cars - which are very different to handle, are more forgiving. St3fan probably experiences more aggressiveness in his own driving and that of the AI as well - the cars allow that. I lack to see it, because the cars are more tame.

I also see the Formula Junior class at the Stow circuit (great combo). Open wheeler, with their wheels sticking out to the side and so it is easy to get into contact with the other car's wheels and get caught in the other's space between his front and rear wheels. Strangely, the races are remarkably clean, which again may be due to the fact that these cars are relatively slow in a acceleration and braking, are tame and well-behaved. Acchieving the same level of "cleaness" in the Formula Raceroom cars, which are far mor aggressive, proved to be impossible for me: accidents overt accidents, and most of the time caused by me. I like to hotlap these cars - but I suck to race in them against other cars. If I would not know the AI in the tamer car classes, I now would conclude that the AI in RR sucks in general. But it is just this car and me.

Isn't it pretty much like this in AC as well? That our perception of the AI's goods and bads (regarding situational awareness and "divebombing") varies depending on the car class we use? ;)

Quote end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. frodesa

frodesa New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so i did the same combos i did yesterday that made me start this thread. I raced the Audi TT 2016 around Zaanvoort and Nissan GTR GT3 around Bathurst. By changing my own attitude to a more careful approach I had fewer incidents. Still think it need a little tweaking though. I guess the way I race AI in AC or AMS doesnt work with this New AI, so I have to adapt to it and then it works better.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DustySticks

DustySticks Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried resetting your adaptive AI? I did yesterday and noticed the aggression dropped significantly. I also had to drop it because the Grp5 cars were running low 1:22s on Leguna Seca and I was only running 1:27s on average.

I'm going to be playing more tonight and I'm hoping that did the trick.

18. Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My biggest gripe with the sim shame as it's so good in all other ways

19. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Which is just reasonable. ;)

Think of it like this. The new AI is capable to mount some real pressure if player is of same skill level like the AI. The AI now goes after even very small opportunities, and it does not provide player wi8th free rides. This means the distances between the cars are much closer, and this again nnarrows the margin for errors. Any mistake that befpore was forgivwen becasue the AI had time to react to player'S action, now has a much higher chance to lead to contact, sicne the AI car is not shy to keep itself located at much closer distance - and stay there, waiting for the chance to strike.

Players must indeed maintain much better situational awareness now, and I absolutely welcome that. The use of Mr. Belowski's spotter is mandatory now. Listen to the spotter, guys, listen to the man. He saves me all the time.

That is close racing! It almost reminds me of the times of Nascar 2003 Season: tight pack-racing and fusterclucking.

Leave the ai the time it needs to breath, and react.

Else, if you close the margin for errors too much, chances will turn against you sooner or later, and you could end up like Sigfried Hoffmann.

Impressive, scaring, mindblowing, isn't it? Hoffmann who flew the chopper in that video, was Bundeswehr instructor pilot and then chief test pilot for MBB. Some time after this video, he killed himself, cutting his chances too much and trying a manouver he always warned his trainees of.

Leave the AI the spac eand time it needs to react to you. You cannot score points in the ranking if you do not make it over the finishing line.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  20. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Makes sense, since the post-patch AI is a lot faster. Which is a good thing.
    Unfortunately, this also means that if you're using your old AI file, it'll run at the same levels that were established in that file, they'll just be 3-4 seconds a lap faster, and thus more aggressive.